Another reason not to live in New York, Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime

Does that mean that if you refuse to allow a cop to search your bag, you could be seen as harassing that cop?

That's doubtful. If a police officer wants to search your bag and you don't want the officer to do that tell him or her to get a warrant. They have the option of letting you go or taking you into custody until they get a warrant.

No they do not. If they don't have a warrant they have to let me go.

True. If they want to detain you without arrest, they'd better freaking have a solid reason for doing so that will convince a judge, or they and their department are looking at a lawsuit and possible criminal charges. Furthermore, if he's not prepared to arrest you, he'd best not even consider laying a hand on you to detain you if you choose to walk away from him.

Sadly, there are police officers who put on that badge and think they have the right to use its authority to throw their weight around whenever they like.

That's doubtful. If a police officer wants to search your bag and you don't want the officer to do that tell him or her to get a warrant. They have the option of letting you go or taking you into custody until they get a warrant.

True. If they want to detain you without arrest, they'd better freaking have a solid reason for doing so that will convince a judge, or they and their department are looking at a lawsuit and possible criminal charges. Furthermore, if he's not prepared to arrest you, he'd best not even consider laying a hand on you to detain you if you choose to walk away from him.

Sadly, there are police officers who put on that badge and think they have the right to use its authority to throw their weight around whenever they like.

That is not as sad as the people that keep telling me I should let them get away with it.

That is not as sad as the people that keep telling me I should let them get away with it.

Screw that. They're just people, not infallible deities. Yes, you shouldn't interfere with or hinder the lawful execution of their duties. But there are limits on what they can and can't do, and they are there for very good reasons. Therefore, you have every right - and one might even say an obligation - to call them on it when they step over the boundaries.

All of which makes me quite interested to know whether "harassment" and "annoying" includes telling them when they're wrong.

So the onsensus is if someone harrasses you it's bad. But it's ok to harass someone else.

I am a huge support of the Police, just as I am the Military.

That doesn't mean that I have to argue that there are no bad ones out there in either group.

There are bunches of Horri-bad cops. Cops that think that they rule the roost and the rest of us are their playthings.

Being as my father and quite a few of my uncles were all police, I have a very good understanding of what they go through, and the good ones I respect deeply.

The bad ones I want to toss under the jail.

Man, I can see it now.. the arrest records are gonna fill up fast.

Senate Passes Bill Making the Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime | New York State Senate

The New York State Senate today passed a bill that creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty.

“Our system of laws is established to protect the foundations of our society,” Senator Griffo said. “Police officers who risk their lives every day in our cities and on our highways deserve every possible protection, and those who treat them with disrespect, harass them and create situations that can lead to injuries deserve to pay a price for their actions.”

The bill establishes this crime as a Class E Felony, punishable by up to four years in prison.

“At a time when shocking incidents of disrespect and outright confrontation are at an all-time high, the men and women who patrol the streets of our cities deserve every possible protection we can offer them,” Senator Griffo stated. “My bill would make it a crime to take any type of physical action to try to intimidate a police officer. This is a necessary action because we can see from the rise in incidents that too many people in our society have lost the respect they need to have for a police officer. We need to make it very clear that when a police officer is performing his duty, every citizen needs to comply and that refusal to comply carries a penalty.”

I frequently give police a hard time when they are infringing on my rights.

Did you read this?

First off..this isn't about "annoyance". "Threats, intimidation and physical force used upon our police officers not only erode respect for our criminal justice system, but also endanger the public as well."

Second off..it hasn't passed.

Third off..most of the city employees, enjoy this sort of protection. You cannot threaten, say, a bus driver.

Fourth? It's the state...not the city.

Senate Passes Bill Making the Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime | New York State Senate

The New York State Senate today passed a bill that creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty.

“Our system of laws is established to protect the foundations of our society,” Senator Griffo said. “Police officers who risk their lives every day in our cities and on our highways deserve every possible protection, and those who treat them with disrespect, harass them and create situations that can lead to injuries deserve to pay a price for their actions.”

The bill establishes this crime as a Class E Felony, punishable by up to four years in prison.

“At a time when shocking incidents of disrespect and outright confrontation are at an all-time high, the men and women who patrol the streets of our cities deserve every possible protection we can offer them,” Senator Griffo stated. “My bill would make it a crime to take any type of physical action to try to intimidate a police officer. This is a necessary action because we can see from the rise in incidents that too many people in our society have lost the respect they need to have for a police officer. We need to make it very clear that when a police officer is performing his duty, every citizen needs to comply and that refusal to comply carries a penalty.”

Did you read this?

First off..this isn't about "annoyance". "Threats, intimidation and physical force used upon our police officers not only erode respect for our criminal justice system, but also endanger the public as well."

Third off..most of the city employees, enjoy this sort of protection. You cannot threaten, say, a bus driver.

Do you read for comprehension?

1 - The bill reads "aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer". Not Threats, intimidation or physical force.

2 - It passed the State Senate.

3 - This isn't about threatening. It is about harassement. It's illegal to threaten anyone, not just public employees.

4 - Everyone knows it is the State. Cities don't have Senates to pass bills.

Now, don't you really feel foolish? You should because you really look foolish.

It's a Republican bill, that passed the Republican-controlled Nee York State Senate, sponsored by two of the most "Conservative" members from western New York.

It's unlikely that the bill will pass the Democratic-controlled Assembly.

It's a Republican bill, that passed the Republican-controlled Nee York State Senate, sponsored by two of the most "Conservative" members from western New York.

I don't care which party the idiots belong to that wrote or passed the bill.

They are stupid as hell added another reason as to why I'll not go to New York if I have anything to say about it.

Did you read this?

Do you read for comprehension?

1 - The bill reads "aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer". Not Threats, intimidation or physical force.

2 - It passed the State Senate.

3 - This isn't about threatening. It is about harassement. It's illegal to threaten anyone, not just public employees.

4 - Everyone knows it is the State. Cities don't have Senates to pass bills.

Now, don't you really feel foolish? You should because you really look foolish.

Not looking "foolish" at all.

I live here..and I know what I am talking about.

They are stupid as hell added another reason as to why I'll not go to New York if I have anything to say about it.

Oh.

Yeah..you are completely right.

And..um..do stay away.

Bloomberg might eat you. :eek:

So the onsensus is if someone harrasses you it's bad. But it's ok to harass someone else.

Want to point out anyplace where I ever demanded the government, or even the board staff here, protect me from people who are harassing me?

Freedom has been diminished in NYC since Giuliani was elected mayor, Bloomberg has taken it to a new level, the city is safe and sterile and no longer unique, it has become like a mid west mall.

Did you read this?

Did I read the rationalization?

Yes, the real question is why did you feel a need to mention it? Do you honestly believe that our criminal justice system suffers because people don't respect cops? This is not about threats, asswipe, it is about them not respecting the right of everyone to walk down the street without being stopped simply because the cops have a quota system that requires them to harass so many people an hour.

Just in case you are really dumb enough to think I made that one up, read it and suck eggs.

And those sentiments came not from critics of the department, but from police commanders and city lawyers.
One of the surprising developments of the trial regarding the Police Department’s stop-and-frisk practices is how top police officials and city lawyers have been willing to criticize some of the department’s rank-and-file officers — all in an effort to counter testimony from whistle-blower officers who say that commanders had created quotas that pressured them to make street stops without the proper grounds.
Some of the testimony heard over the first six weeks of the trial in Federal District Court in Manhattan has had more in keeping with labor arbitration than with a constitutional case, as the city has tried to play down secret station house recordings, partly by characterizing some police officers as lazy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/30/...es-officers-laziness.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Do you think it is remotely possible that a policy that allows police to stop people who are not doing anything wrong based solely on the color of their skin might be more damaging to the criminal justice system than anything I could possibly say to a cop?

Wish more non New Yorkers had that attitude.

What the fuck difference does it make which party did it? Is your entire world defined by party membership?Forgive me for saying this, but that alone makes you sound more like a communists than anything I can think of.

By the way, if you think the Democrats are going to be the intelligent people here, can i point out that this has the support of the police unions? Do you honestly think Democrats are going to want to go against unions?

Last edited:

What the fuck difference does it make which party did it? Is your entire world defined by party membership?Forgive me for saying this, but that alone makes you sound more like a communists than anything I can think of.

By the way, if you think the Democrats are going to be the intelligent people here, can i point out that this has the support of the police unions? Do you honestly think Democrats are going to want to go against unions?

Police unions often back Republicans.

Forum List

Back