Another reason not to live in New York, Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime

What the fuck difference does it make which party did it? Is your entire world defined by party membership?Forgive me for saying this, but that alone makes you sound more like a communists than anything I can think of.

By the way, if you think the Democrats are going to be the intelligent people here, can i point out that this has the support of the police unions? Do you honestly think Democrats are going to want to go against unions?

I think it boils down to me getting frustrated by people who don't know what they're talking about when it comes to NY politics.

I spent a decade working on NY State Senate races, and it's frustrating to hear people blame shit like this on "the liberals" when the liberal members of the State Senate are the ones who voted against this bill.

This is being done by statists.

Can we agree on that and simply condemn them, no matter which party they are in?

Yes.

A cop's job is not the same as just 'working with the public.' It is not the same as a teller in a bank, a clerk in a store, a server in a restaurant, etc. You can't make the same comparisons. A cop's job is very different and a whole, whole lot more than just 'working with the public.'

In a way, you are right. Cops are held to a higher standard than a grocery store clerk. They have to put up with a lot more with greater restraint than the average person does.

That is why I didn't follow my father's footsteps and become a cop. When I got out of the military, a good friend of mine offered me a job as a supervisor at the local jail.

I turned it down.

I know for a fact that the first time an inmate threw urine or fecal matter or spit on me, I would not be able to respond with the restraint required.

I understand your point, but I was referring to the fact a cop has a much more serious and difficult job to do that could potentially place him or her in harm's way. Also, they are responsible for protecting others from being harmed. Either way, giving them a hard time makes it more difficult to do their job. I have a brother who was a cop, so you are not the only one who is familiar with a cop's job. I am somewhat surprised you seem to have so little respect for and/or understanding of what your father had to do in his job.

If a police officer is treating me with respect and respecting my rights, they will get the respect returned.

If they start acting, as so many do, like they were a cop in a TV show or movie ... Then they get it return.

I know where the lines are drawn and how to get chalk on my toes. Being in the military teaches that.

I have a lot of respect for the good cops. I have none for the bad ones. Just because you wear a badge and gun that doesn't make you automatically worthy of my respect. I have known too many great, too many good, and too many bad cops in my life.

Forum List

Back