Another University stops students from handing out the Constitution when recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
"Two students are suing the University of Hawaii for violating their First Amendment rights after administrator prevented them from distributing copies of the U.S. Constitution — demonstrating a frightening lack of knowledge about the very legal document they were attempting to censor."

"Administrators further clarified their level of respect for students’ free speech rights, making comments like, “This isn’t really the ’60s anymore,” and “people can’t really protest like that anymore,” according to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education.
The First Amendment has not been modified since the 1960s, however, and robustly protects the rights of students at public universities to hold non-disruptive protests, speak their mind and distribute literature.
Administrators also maintained that university policy took precedent over Constitutional rights, according to the complaint."

Read more: ANOTHER university stops students from handing out Constitution | The Daily Caller

What yahoos. And they call right wingers ignorant,and cite university education as the one thing that separates the civilized, worldly, august from cowering, stupid minions....

Sickening.

Do they want to censor the constitution? Or get a couple of wacko students to stop harassing kids that the school is trying to recrut?

Hmm... :eusa_think:

They don't want students to know the contents of the constitution.

Do they want to censor the constitution? Or get a couple of wacko students to stop harassing kids that the school is trying to recrut?

Hmm... :eusa_think:

Hmmm free speech is free speech today and tomorrow,and doesn't say only this speech is free.

Liberals hate the Constitution......they see it as an impediment to their Marxist agenda. .. :cool:

Was anyone arrested and placed in jail? That is what the first amendment protects

It says nothing about a university having rules about what, when and where you may hand out literature

Long story short: Colleges have days when all the student organizations set up informational tables. There is a rule that the orgs can't solicit students but have to sit at the tabled area (otherwise the students that just want to get to class would be swarmed with solicitations).

This group broke that rule.

I love BF's statement that the kids are wackos, lol.

Cuz it's crazy scary to hand out literature during recruitment events on college campuses! Stop the insanity! People don't want to be confronted with that crazy shit!

"
The students were told that they could only distribute literature from within UH-Hilo’s “free speech zone,” a small, muddy, frequently-flooded area on the edge of campus."

Read more: ANOTHER university stops students from handing out Constitution | The Daily Caller

Doesn't say anything about distributing literature only from your own booth or table.

They were told they could only distribute the CONSTITUTION from the free speech zone.

"
The students were told that they could only distribute literature from within UH-Hilo’s “free speech zone,” a small, muddy, frequently-flooded area on the edge of campus."

Doesn't say anything about distributing literature only from your own booth or table.

They were told they could only distribute the CONSTITUTION from the free speech zone.

What exactly do you think is the purpose of 'free speech zones' at schools?

"

I don't understand you point?

Colleges should not be able to control where and when literature can be distributed?

Maybe you need to read that Constitution you are distributing

"Two students are suing the University of Hawaii for violating their First Amendment rights ......

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Funny, these are the very people that object to students working to get people to vote.

Yes, Virginia, schools have rules. And those rules are enforced, no matter what the ideology of the people breaking them is. Now had they gotten permission from the school to set up a table, in the proper area, and hand out copies of the Constitution, I am sure that the school would have been pleased to have them doing such.

Funny, these are the very people that object to students working to get people to vote.

Yes, Virginia, schools have rules. And those rules are enforced, no matter what the ideology of the people breaking them is. Now had they gotten permission from the school to set up a table, in the proper area, and hand out copies of the Constitution, I am sure that the school would have been pleased to have them doing such.

Can I walk into a classroom and hand out copies of the Constitution?

Why not? It is the Constitution, who would object to me enlightening other students on this great document?

I do have free speech don't I?

Hey, the university has the right to stop people handing out literature it finds offensive.

:rolleyes:

Why not? It is the Constitution, who would object to me enlightening other students on this great document?

Is that relevant to this particular discussion?

Nope, since nobody was handing out the literature in the classroom.

Is that relevant to this particular discussion?

Nope, since nobody was handing out the literature in the classroom.

I believe the issue is ....can a University restrict when and where literature can be handed out?

The answer is obviously, Yes

It is a shame if these students aren't allowed to hand out copies of the Constitution, I have a problem with that...

I wonder if there are any other articles on this...I would like to see ALL of the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back