Any Electricians here? GFI question

Dekster

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2014
For the last three days, every time someone shuts down the computer in our den, it trips the GFI breaker for that part of the house. It is a desktop/monitor/printer and speakers plugged into a power strip that is plugged into a GFI outlet. Is this likely the power strip or one of the devices causing it (since the power strip doesn't trip)? That room is converted garage space and is on the GFI breaker that includes all the outdoor stuff too but it only happens when the computer is shut down.

The computer power supply likely has a small issue. However the GFCI's made in the last 10 years are very sensitive & can drive you crazy. I would just remove it until inspection time.

You could also use a three prong adapter to unground your computer from the power strip. Then hook up a multi-meter to check for a little voltage between ground & the green adapter wire or metal screw tab when you shut down PC.

My GFCI's kept tripping all over my house, because my neighbor has a broken neutral line, so his bonded neutral was sending power out through his ground rod that was about 20'ft away from mine. So his power was returning back up through my ground rod causing a lot of random GFCI tripping.

Last edited:
For the last three days, every time someone shuts down the computer in our den, it trips the GFI breaker for that part of the house. It is a desktop/monitor/printer and speakers plugged into a power strip that is plugged into a GFI outlet. Is this likely the power strip or one of the devices causing it (since the power strip doesn't trip)? That room is converted garage space and is on the GFI breaker that includes all the outdoor stuff too but it only happens when the computer is shut down.
If it is happening on the shut down it is a short. If it was happening on start up it would be overload. Most likely the outlet that power strip is plugged into needs replaced. Can't be sure with our a continuity test. With our proper diagnostic tools start with replacing power strip and outlet. Next replace the GFI outlet that trips first in the line.

If it is happening on the shut down it is a short. If it was happening on start up it would be overload. Most likely the outlet that power strip is plugged into needs replaced. Can't be sure with our a continuity test. With our proper diagnostic tools start with replacing power strip and outlet. Next replace the GFI outlet that trips first in the line.
Thanks. Will Try

Switch on the power supply probably making a brief ground connection.

Forum List

Back