Any Free Speech outrage about this campus event?

Yep. Everyone.

We're teaching our kids the opposite, from coast to coast.

To me, it's a glaring example of what you get from kids that their entire life have been told how special they are and probably never had to deal with contrary ideas. They don't know adversity... boy are they in for a surprise.
Its silly to listen to contrary ideas from people you dont respect. Has nothing to do with adversity.
I listen to people I don't respect all the time, helps me sharpen my responses. Of course when your entire discourse consists of sitting in the back of a room chanting slogans there's not much to sharpen.
I have a different philosophy regarding that. The way I see it if I dont respect you then its because I have heard you before. In that case I have no reason to respond to you.

Yep. Everyone.

To me, it's a glaring example of what you get from kids that their entire life have been told how special they are and probably never had to deal with contrary ideas. They don't know adversity... boy are they in for a surprise.
Its silly to listen to contrary ideas from people you dont respect. Has nothing to do with adversity.
I listen to people I don't respect all the time, helps me sharpen my responses. Of course when your entire discourse consists of sitting in the back of a room chanting slogans there's not much to sharpen.
I have a different philosophy regarding that. The way I see it if I dont respect you then its because I have heard you before. In that case I have no reason to respond to you.
Enjoy the echo chamber.

Yep. Everyone.

Enjoy the echo chamber.
I dont ignore people just because they have a different opinion. I ignore them when they are operating from a faulty premise.

Yep. Everyone.

Not responding is fine... going out of your way to shout people down is not not responding. It's behaving childishly.

Of course its disruptive. That was the intention. No one stopped him from voicing his opinion. They just didnt want to hear it. I'm pretty sure if you showed up at a BLM event doing that it wouldnt be for long The same thing applies to those that did want to hear him. They should have found a way to make the disrupters stop.

I missed the part where the students were forced to attend. Did they attend willingly? Either way there are acceptable forms to protest - heckling a speaker is not one of them.

However, if a heckler did attend a BLM rally with the intent of being vocally disruptive - you don't have to listen to him, right?
You can appeal to the police to remove him for causing a disturbance but if you lay hands on him you might find yourself on the wrong side of the bars, as you should.

Enjoy the echo chamber.
I dont ignore people just because they have a different opinion. I ignore them when they are operating from a faulty premise.

Who made you the arbiter of whether a premise is faulty or not? You libs crack me up... you think you know everything yet you know so little.

Yep. Everyone.

They weren't hostages. They could leave. And show class by letting others who wanted to; listen. Typical lack of class from the usual suspects...

Yep. Everyone.

They weren't hostages. They could leave. And show class by letting others who wanted to; listen. Typical lack of class from the usual suspects...

Bunch of spoiled brats.

Yep. Everyone.

Not responding is fine... going out of your way to shout people down is not not responding. It's behaving childishly.
Read the post i responded to before you comment.

You may believe its childish. Other people see it as an exercise in freedom.

Yep. Everyone.

He wasnt a hostage and he could have left himself.

Enjoy the echo chamber.

Who made you the arbiter of whether a premise is faulty or not? You libs crack me up... you think you know everything yet you know so little.
I did. Why do you ask?

Yep. Everyone.

You seem to put a lot of stock in your respect. Nobody here does though.

Obviously you dont get the concept of free speech as pertains to the 1rst amendment. it doesnt mean you have to listen to someone or have a conversation.
You also don't get to prevent others from having a conversation or listening to a speaker.
I agree physically you dont. I didnt see anyone physically restraining people from listening to the speaker. They just chose to talk while the speaker was talking. No law against that.

No, but it is disruptive and that is not consistent with allowing others to voice their opinion. It would be like me showing up at a BLM event with a bullhorn and proclaiming as loudly as I could the wonders of under water basket weaving.
Of course its disruptive. That was the intention. No one stopped him from voicing his opinion. They just didnt want to hear it. I'm pretty sure if you showed up at a BLM event doing that it wouldnt be for long The same thing applies to those that did want to hear him. They should have found a way to make the disrupters stop.

Oh? It wouldn't be "for long". Does that mean the BLM people would resort to violence to suppress my free expression of speech? Is that what you're claiming? So, the next time a BLM person tries to disrupt a conservative in that manner you condone using violence to shut them up? Is that what you are saying?

I missed the part where the students were forced to attend. Did they attend willingly? Either way there are acceptable forms to protest - heckling a speaker is not one of them.

However, if a heckler did attend a BLM rally with the intent of being vocally disruptive - you don't have to listen to him, right?
You can appeal to the police to remove him for causing a disturbance but if you lay hands on him you might find yourself on the wrong side of the bars, as you should.
I missed the part where Comey was forced to attend. Seems to me both parties were invited. Thats what a convocation means.

I missed the part where Comey was forced to attend. Seems to me both parties were invited. Thats what a convocation means.

A false dichotomy. The students attended knowing full well who the speaker was going to be - unless you're saying he was a surprise guest speaker? Apparently he is going to continue being involved with Howard University - even sponsoring a scholarship. Maybe the hecklers aren't interested in hearing about that either.

If you don't want to hear what someone is saying don't attend the speech get up and leave put earphones in and listen to something on your phone. There are numerous ways to not have to hear someone speak who you don't agree with without preventing others from hearing them.

Yep. Everyone.

You seem to put a lot of stock in your respect. Nobody here does though.
Thats really not my problem or any of my business. It doesnt effect who I do or dont respect.

Forum List

Back