Any preppers out there?

Funny how nuclear disaster is a topic now that we have another thoroughly incompetent regime in power. A nuclear attack with modern weapons would be so devastating that you would probably be cooked inside your atomic bomb era shelter rather than be vaporized like the rest of us.

That of course would depend on your location when the bombs started falling.....like in the major cities.
Being far enough west of the oil refineries we should be good since the prevailing winds are north or south depending on the time of year.

My opinion of "city folks having each other" wasn't intended as a positive statement on survival. It was food (no pun intended) for thought. The "dirty rich" might be able to protect themselves but in the event of a political collapse, money might not be worth much and the guns they had assumed to be protecting them from the rabble might be used against them. The bottom line is that the old nuclear warfare shelters might be handy in a tornado but the fantasy of surviving a nuclear war is just that. In the event of a long term collapse of society rural folks would be able to keep warm with wood heat and rely on old gardens and local game. City folks would have each other.
totally agree. That's why my ideal is to go total Dick Proenneke style lol! But that's not going to happen anytime soon. But yeah, my dream is to eventually get a log cabin and survive off the grid. Must have running water and a toilet though... :)

I've heard that from several people.

When I mention the dirty rich I'm assuming they've already built their bunkers and have them stocked,I know I would. And there's been info about them doing just that,along with buying up farmland.
Nuclear bunkers are pretty common and you only need to stay in them for 2 days max before you can venture out,the whole you have to stay inside for a year is BS.
The Wife and I have over a year and a half of food and water on hand and a place to go to if things go bad for an extended period of time.
It sits on 6k acres and has plenty of game and fish along with several free flowing springs for water. And of course we have Heirloom seeds which we can plant in the spring. With the amount of food we have waiting for spring and for harvest is not problem.
And thats the key,having enough food to hold you over until you can plant and harvest. If we go to the bug out place we can eat fish and other game which will make that stored food last much longer.

You can survive in most cases if you're ready.
Of course if you take a direct hit from a nuke you're fucked.
There's so many youtube videos about the fancy bunkers that the rich peeps are buying. I personally like the $36k ones in South Dakota (or maybe North). It solves a lot of issues, including cost, and most importantly not needing air conditioning.

There's so many youtube videos about the fancy bunkers that the rich peeps are buying. I personally like the $36k ones in South Dakota (or maybe North). It solves a lot of issues, including cost, and most importantly not needing air conditioning.

The only problem with that location is all the nuclear silos.
N. Dakota will be targeted heavily by the otherside trying to wipe out our missile silos.

My goal is getting a log cabin in Williams, AZ. I'd love to do Alaska like Proenneke but the summer work is prob too much for me. Williams, and other places in upstate AZ nearby are ideal locations for me, i think... I also have a dream of moving to MN! Believe it or not! I'll learn the accent! A NY'er doing a Minnesota accent, that would be worth it just to hear it... :) It would be like a whole different language!

You betcha 'bout it!

Last edited:
My goal is getting a log cabin in Williams, AZ. I'd love to do Alaska like Proenneke but the summer work is prob too much for me. Williams, and other places in upstate AZ nearby are ideal locations for me, i think... I also have a dream of moving to MN! Believe it or not! I'll learn the accent! A NY'er doing a Minnesota accent, that would be worth it just to hear it... :) It would be like a whole different language!

You betcha 'bout it!

Fuck Alaska!!!
It's to damn cold!!

Here's the thing about prepping. If you tell people that you're prepping, you're not a very good prepper.
...or when you think about it, that could be an alternative prepper strategy.

You put the word out that you've got all kinds of food supplies, then when the SHTF a bunch of neighbors descend on your home to steal the food you don't have.

Then you shoot them and make hamburgers.

It takes all kinds of critters to make farmer Vincent's fritters.

It seems that the modern concept of "prepping" might be an excuse to quit the 9-5 job and convince family members go on the Alaska dole with a foraging/hunting fantasy lifestyle. Reconsider it.

Just ordered two cases of XMRE's.
They're the civilian version of the military MRE's and are made by the same companies.
Went with the XMRE's because they're fresh unlike some of the surplus military MRE's
They do cost a bit more at $199 a case but at least you know what you're getting.
We went with the XMRE 3000XT which have a lot more stuff than in the regular XMRE's
Since they're pretty tasty we got them just for some variety and a change from the freeze dried and dehydrated stuff.

Last edited:
Picked up another 3 cases these are the 1300XT.
That gives us 58 + MRE's

I don't consider myself a prepper, but I want to be prepared. So far I have at least 6 months of canned goods, but I only have 36 gallons of water for 3 people. I figure the water in the cans, is good for an extra 2 months (I only get low-sodium or no-sodium canned goods). So I have 4-5 months of water, 6 months of food. I know I need more water.

If the STHF, I'm good here for 5 months. I have water filtration systems, should there still be a water supply, but if not, I'm good for 5 months, tops.

My problem is, that if the STHF, I'm probably not going to be staying here. And I don't have a truck or SUV. So there's only so much I can take with me that fits in my car with two kids.

So my question is, what do I make sure is in my car? lol besides the kids... And how much water should I bring compared to the food? I have tools that I have to bring as well.
Long time prepper here! My first wife was a Mormon. We stayed with her parents for a few months in the late 70s. They were hardcore preppers. Did their own canning; had cattle and chickens; wood stoves; etc. That's where the "seed" was planted.

Then, when Y2K came along ... I started taking prepping a bit more seriously.

Later on, after having survived a road trip in the middle of the worst blizzard I'd ever experienced and then an ice storm that shut power down for 3 days in below zero temps, I really took prepping seriously and have been stockpiling ever since.

Currently, I have at least a year's supply of food and water. I have plenty of gold and silver and just purchased another $500.00 worth yesterday. I have tons of survival gear should I ever find myself forced to head to the woods or wilderness. Prepping is a wise thing to do. Better to have what you don't need than to need what you don't have.

Last edited:
I didn't find out I was a prepper till someone told me. I've come to learn that "prepping " isn't a hobby. It's a lifestyle. And I've been doing it my whole life...
I find it interesting that the same people who scoff at preppers have no problem filling their gas tank before a long trip or buying a week's worth of food on payday. They're "preppers" only on a smaller scale.

I find it interesting that the same people who scoff at preppers have no problem filling their gas tank before a long trip or buying a week's worth of food on payday. They're "preppers" only on a smaller scale.
What some consider prepping; I've merely considered prudence. Cuz shit happens. And that's just the way it is

When one thinks about it... Preparing for whatever tomorrow may bring; is what brought humanity out of the hunter-gatherer age, and into modernity. I really don't see what is so odd about it...

Forum List

Back