Any tips for taking a 4 year old fishing?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Taking my grandson tomorrow and it's been so long since my kids were that age I can't remember what I did to try to keep them focused.

Gonna focus on minnows on a bobber as bait and bluegills right off the shore to keep him active.

Any better ideas besides bringing a bucket of rocks lol?

Taking my grandson tomorrow and it's been so long since my kids were that age I can't remember what I did to try to keep them focused.

Gonna focus on minnows on a bobber as bait and bluegills right off the shore to keep him active.

Sounds like a great plan

You make a wonderful grandpa

Any tips for taking a 4 year old fishing?

Yes don't take a bottle of Tequila with you, when they are 6 years in age then you can take the bottle of Tequila :smoke:

Tell him, "No talking, no crying, no noise at all, no moving around, no aggravating Grandpa in any way. It scares the fish away."

I still remember the first time my gramps took me fishing, I fell in , Around his age

Great idea. Kids love fishing. I took mine to the fishing pond and to feed the ducks. That is where he wanted to go every time I had him.

His neighbor had a fishing pond where he spent time, but Grandmas pond was different.:) Had a water thing where they could play under the different sprays.

Tell him you'll stuff in a burlap sack and throw him in if he doesn't behave...

I still remember the first time my gramps took me fishing, I fell in , Around his age
I remember fishing with my grandpa. He always handed me his pole when the park ranger came around lol. Never knew why till I grew up...the cheapskate

I suggest lures only. Baiting hooks with worms could be fraught with peril. Have fun sounds like a great time. :redface:

Throw him in.

I'd go with a bobber and worms but don't forget the first fishing tradition of having your grandson biting the first worm in half before stabbing it with a hook. My son didn't go for it but if I hadn't laughed it would have made a great first fishing story.. good luck.

btw. they get bored easy, expect a lot of casting and re-tying of hooks bring your patience and a bag of his favorite candy helps.. You might try a plug/lure, it helps keeps them entertained reeling it in and it's not quite so boring Grampa..

http://learninghowtofish.com/

Last edited:

Be careful when you put him on the hook or it will make a mess.

Make it a local lake and keep the trip short. Young children have short attention spans. If the trip is fun, the child will love fishing, but if it is long and boring the opposite might come about.

Yes, have him be taken by someone else until he is old enough to enjoy some whiskey while fishing!

Oh, you want some real advice, so use fake bait and make it fun...

Yes, have him be taken by someone else until he is old enough to enjoy some whiskey while fishing!

Oh, you want some real advice, so use fake bait and make it fun...

Also have a fish to hook the line with so he think he caught something... Yeah, I am a softy...

Forum List

Back