Anybody else noticing some really large yellow jackets this year?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
AT 53 years old, I don't believe I have seen yellow jackets this big. Damn near the size of bald faced hornets.
ANyone else seeing these things?

Do they look like this?

40cbc79110f84126bf0fcedb0fad2650_400x400.png

No, but I saw one guy with a big yellow hat. I don’t want to be racist, but his kid looks like a monkey.

AT 53 years old, I don't believe I have seen yellow jackets this big. Damn near the size of bald faced hornets.

Do they brag a lot and use the word "bigly"? :D

No I'd have to say I've never seen a yellowjacket that looked anywhere near 53 years old.

What part of the country? And do you have hummingbird feeders?

We've had so much torrential rain around these parts I'm afraid the hummers have flown the coop.

I've seen bugs that are big, but none of them have been yellow jackets

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I'll be 36 at the end of this month and I have never once been stung by anything.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I'll be 36 at the end of this month and I have never once been stung by anything.

We can fix that Holly :) Birthday present.

^^^ Thanks, but what if it hasn't happened yet because they just don't care about my blood? I got eaten by bed bugs once and I was told that it may have been because of my blood type. I am O positive. They never touched my mom and she is B negative.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

P.S. I once let a bee crawl on my hand and it never stung me. It eventually flew away. :) :) :)

^^^ Thanks, but what if it hasn't happened yet because they just don't care about my blood? I got eaten by bed bugs once and I was told that it may have been because of my blood type. I am O positive. They never touched my mom and she is B negative.

Holly

P.S. I once let a bee crawl on my hand and it never stung me. It eventually flew away. :) :) :)

Bees shouldn't sting unless you're swatting at them. You did the right thing. :thup:

They're not after your blood. That would be parasites like mosquitoes and ticks. Mostly they do it in response to a threat. If you don't threaten them they won't sting. Cooperation with Nature is always the best course. Except for mosquitoes and ticks of course.

Here's a cute bee story that Theowl32 posted that you might like

^^^ Thanks. Years ago my mom did come into contact with a batch of fire ants.

Holly

God bless you always!!!

Holly

^^^ I think I'll pass on getting stung because I don't want to know how bad it hurts. In a situation like that one, ignorance is bliss.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

At my previous job site (just left there a week ago to begin a different project) we were noticing a lot of what we thought were yellowjackets. At some point, I found a nest, and later, found a few more. This one was about an inch across.

2018-05-01_09.11.10z.jpg
2018-05-01_09.12.06z.jpg
2018-05-01_09.11.33z.jpg

Based on a bit of research, I believe that what we were seeing was not the true yellowjacket, but the European Paper Wasp. They are commonly mistaken for yellowjackets, and they make nests very similar to what we had been finding.

The true yellowjacket makes a much larger, more sophisticated nest.

TwoYearNest.jpg

Forum List

Back