Anyone Notice GPS’s Are Getting Worse?

Seems like now they’re all ‘most efficient’ or ‘shortest route’ no matter your settings.

Which means it has you get off main roads onto tiny cow paths and then later you end up back on the main road you were on. I’m sure it’s because it’s 2 feet shorter distance.

I believe it’s because they’re thinking their new programs are saving people gas, when in fact it costs you more. I never use a GPS of any type now without studying the route, and about 50% of the time will override the GPS.

Exhibit 4,738 on technology getting worse.
On the way home from Florida, we loved those redirects on to cow paths as you call them, that Google sent us on... a moving car was better than sitting in stopped bumper to bumper traffic, cuz of an accident ahead.

Many times I ignore those reroutes and find no traffic.
Sometimes that is the case. I recall one time I got a reroute request for what appeared to be an accident 20 or 30 interstate miles from my location, but it had cleared by the time I got to that area. There have been other times that I could see the traffic backing up from the exit that I took on the detoured route.

On the way home from Florida, we loved those redirects on to cow paths as you call them, that Google sent us on... a moving car was better than sitting in stopped bumper to bumper traffic, cuz of an accident ahead.
I would rather travel 30 miles extra in a moving car than to take 30 minutes to move one mile, even if the total time to the destination is the same.

Seems like now they’re all ‘most efficient’ or ‘shortest route’ no matter your settings.

Which means it has you get off main roads onto tiny cow paths and then later you end up back on the main road you were on. I’m sure it’s because it’s 2 feet shorter distance.

I believe it’s because they’re thinking their new programs are saving people gas, when in fact it costs you more. I never use a GPS of any type now without studying the route, and about 50% of the time will override the GPS.

Have not experienced this at all. I am always given multiple choices to pick from.

Driving on I70 thorough Indiana in May I did ignore it when it told me to get off the highway and take some back roads. 5 miles later I was sitting in non-moving traffic due to a major accident.

Will not make that mistake again.

There's most likely nothing different other than the military's manipulation of S.A. during all US wars. It will be off and on during the day. Those who can access Russia's system will find it more reliable.

From what I heard, the Russian GPS system was so bad, they had to ask some of the locals "Which road goes to Ukraine?"

"In Russian Motherland, you no find Ukraine. Ukraine find you." :laughing0301:

1656955403996.png

Last edited:

good ole fashioned maps that you read never fail .

GPS is a wonder, it can pinpoint your location in 3 dimensions within centimeters. Using GPS, Google and other companies have mapped the roads of this and most developed countries to a level of detail never available before. As the road data is used and Google gets feedback, the data improves for everyone.

What you're complaining about is how that information is used. I prefer Waze and I can choose either fastest or shortest routes, tolls or no tolls, etc. The algorithms used don't know you hate left turns or don't care that one route is 2 feet or 2 inches shorter. Maybe someday they will but then people will complain they are too hard to use. What you may find is that they will learn your driving habits and cater to you more and more.

yeah ... guess i didnt think of that ..lol ..
Yep, and sometimes the old roads get blocked. I know of more than one road that I used to use as a cut through that is now a dead end.

I still cant understand why people use those things,,
I use the map and look to see where I need to go and go there,,

I still cant understand why people use those things,,
I use the map and look to see where I need to go and go there,,
Maps are fine, but it's nice when away on a trip to simply talk into my phone and say "pizza" and get directions to a nearby pizza establishment. Using old fashion paper maps take advanced planning and sometimes a co-pilot to read the map.

Ours directed me right into a cow pasture and there wasn't even a road to turn into.

Maps are fine, but it's nice when away on a trip to simply talk into my phone and say "pizza" and get directions to a nearby pizza establishment. Using old fashion paper maps take advanced planning and sometimes a co-pilot to read the map.
I found its like taking a trip with three women and only they know where youre going,,

might as well crash into a tree and get the ambulance out there early,,

Well when I tell Serious to find me some corn bread and greens she freaks.

Forum List

Back