Anyone old enough to remember when Jimmy Carter banned Iranians from coming to America

Holy shit.....so Jimmy Carter was a xenophobic racist too???

Hey libs....one of your greatest icons was a racist xenophobic. How bout that?

Iranians are not a race.

But I think we should ban ISIS members from the USA.

The casual connection was debunked already.

You mean AFTER Iran took 52 Americans hostage? Or do you just leave that part out?
Oh....so please.....help me out.....does the left have a "book of acceptable executive orders" and when they can be applied?

Maybe it is as simple as....if a democratic President does it, it is warranted....but if a Republican President does it, it is an act of bias, hate and racism?

Carter had the Get Out of Jail Free card Barry gave him embedded in a lucite block. But his doctors are concerned his face could crack from the huge smile it's brought him.

From the OP of "What Would Reagan Do?":

Remember how much we feared and hated Iranians? Iran had a revolution and took American hostages for over a year.

Iran had terrorist training camps and were sending out terrorists all over the place. Iran was behind the blowing up of the Marine barracks. Iran funded Hezbollah and Hamas which carried out terrorist attacks all over the Middle East, and particularly in Israel, a great ally of the US.

Iranians were hijacking airplanes and blowing shit up all over the place.

And then there were the Iranian refugees trying to get away from these maniacs.

Do you know what Reagan did about the refugees?

Did he shit his pants in fear? Nope.

Did he stir up the Right with anti-Muslim rhetoric and say we should not allow these refugees in? Nope.

Did he do some kind of fucked up calculus and say it wasn't worth the risk? Nope.

He let the Iranian refugees in. Because Republicans had real balls of titanium and real compassion back then.

http://www.paaia.org/CMS/Data/Sites/1/pdfs/iranian-americans---immigration-and-assimilation.pdf

Between October 1981 and February 1985, more Iranians were granted asylum — 11,055 in total — than any other nationality.

Do you see that? At the peak of our anti-Iranian sentiment, we let in more Iranian refugees than any other kind of refugees.

Now THAT is what "home of the brave" looks like, boys and girls. That is what "American exceptionalism" looks like.

Reagan's own words:
We shall continue America's tradition as a land that welcomes peoples from other countries. We shall also, with other countries, continue to share in the responsibility of welcoming and resettling those who flee oppression.

Illegal immigrants in considerable numbers have become productive members of our society and are a basic part of our work force. Those who have established equities in the United States should be recognized and accorded legal status.

I don't know who these people are today who are calling themselves Republicans. I really don't.

we need to stop all muslims from entering the united states until we can be absolutely sure it's safe to let them in. that's just how it is, even if free and open borders is ideal to the way american people believe. but, it's just as important for the muslim americans who understand this to have the upper hand to influence the foreign muslims and not the other way around. that's never going to happen if we're forced to turn a blind eye to the fact that not all muslims are the same, otherwise the radicals will turn islam into the trojan horse of terror.

Carter didn't have 8 years to spend sorting them all out. The comparison to Reagan doesn't really fly in that context. Reagan's bloviating about being a tough guy and 'sending in the Marines', then running off like a whipped puppy when they got killed played a big role in encouraging the various terrorist factions to step up their attacks, in fact, so it isn't a good 'talking point' to bring up Reagan and his rather stupid policies re the ME. Invading Granada and taking on a Cuban construction company is more representative his capabilities. And he came close to screwing that up, too.

So.... this means that 52 hostages taken has to precede a ban. 50 killed and that many more injured isn't enough?

Were the 50 killed at the instigation of a specific government?

Oh, wait, no, they weren't. This was an American citizen who couldn't deal with being gay.

Oh....so please.....help me out.....does the left have a "book of acceptable executive orders" and when they can be applied?

Maybe it is as simple as....if a democratic President does it, it is warranted....but if a Republican President does it, it is an act of bias, hate and racism?

I think it was explained to you pretty well.

Retaliation for a national action against a specific nation. Acceptable.

Retaliation against a religion he happened to belong to... not so much.

I am way older than the Iranian hostage crisis, lasted 444 days and ended only a few days after Reagan swore the oath. hmm

I am way older than the Iranian hostage crisis, lasted 444 days and ended only a few days after Reagan swore the oath. hmm

It ended the exact day he was sworn in, that just proves how much they hated a dumb ass president like obama, uhm I mean Jimmy .

The Iranians had already agreed to release the hostages before Reagan took office. they just waited until after he was sworn in to let the plane leave.

But Ronnie Raygun was the guy who traded weapons for hostages and then diverted the proceeds to drug-smuggling terrorists in Central America.

what a man, what a man!

Forum List

Back