April 26, 2014: Today in the headlines

Stat, you know what is cool is to see the stories as printed in the foreign press and then compare the differences in perspectives to the US media. especially on international issues

[MENTION=24208]Spoonman[/MENTION] - I would be really happy to oblige.

Since tomorrow, 27.04.14, two popes are going to be canonized:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/relig...anonization-of-two-popes-on-the-same-day.html

Tomorrow would be an excellent day for me to screenshot lots of coverage from that from the world press, away from the USA. That could maybe be a good start. What do you think of that idea?

The media issue is a tricky subject, because there will always be bias in those articles.

Maybe it's part of human nature to convey events other than what they really are?

I prefer a simplistic approach of the events, without trying to spin it one way or another. Even worse is when news is fabricated. Repetitive news is boring, too, which is why I stopped watching CNN because they won't shut up about that missing plane.

News ought to be conveyed simply, briefly, fairly, and accurately.

:eusa_clap:

Are they STILL going on about that plane at CNN? Really? Geez....

A big difference, that you can't see in screen shots, is in the comments sections....

[MENTION=24452]Seawytch[/MENTION] - that is indeed so, but I always remind myself that the people who make comments are not pro reporters and you will find crazy, crazy, crazy people anywhere these days. So, I generally ignore the comments sections to begin with, as far as media reports go.

Hey [MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION]...I'd like to see you do the same thing you did here with the "major" news orgs, but dig a little deeper. Capture Drudge, ThinkProgress, DailyKos, Free Republic, etc. ;)

Nicely done, sir.

Hey [MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION]...I'd like to see you do the same thing you did here with the "major" news orgs, but dig a little deeper. Capture Drudge, ThinkProgress, DailyKos, Free Republic, etc. ;)

Nicely done, sir.

Hey, Seawytch, it may surprise you, but I also go to those sites. Even though FreeRepubilc doesn't share my ideological tilt, they often get a bona-fide story out there before the MSM does. But then again, they sometimes just throw out birther stuff and I ignore it.

Likewise, Breitbart often gets a story out there and it is 100% true, but then again, Breitbart has often had to backtrack afterwards. So, I shy away some from sites that are too extremist for my taste.

ThinkProgress has a deep, deep anti-semitic tilt that I personally don't like at all and they often edit videos in a way I don't find right.

Some sections of KOS are outstanding: the elections section, with David Nir, is very, very good - in fact, the guy who does the Hedgehog Report (very Republican site) often double checks his numbers with KOS before reporting and even notes that he got the numbers from KOS if the original document is not uploaded from a pollster site, for instance.

But even in case of KOS, the writing is too tilted for my taste. I want facts, facts, facts, and I want to be able to make my own assessment based on those facts. I don't want FOX influencing my decision making, and I don't want KOS doing it, either.

But maybe sometime I will do such a screenshot parade...

thanks for the input.

You forgot the Jerusalem Post. ... :cool:

So, in spite of the nasty intent of your posting, as usual, I will give you an adult response:

Yes, I also read the JP as well as Haaretz, but I also read Al Jazeera every day. In terms of accuracy of reporting of most stuff, excluding the PA/Israeli conflict, Al Jazeera actually puts out very, very good reporting a lot of the time.

I hit about 9 other German news outlets, including ARD Tagesschau, ZDF Heute Journal, Berliner Morgenpost, Süddeutsche Zeitung, Phoenix, Deutsche Welle.

I also hit about 4 french news sites a day, including Le Monde.

I also hit the Guardian and BBC sometimes, also SKY.

But I decided to limit this thread to news sites that are primarily focused on the USA, since the bulk of the membership of USMB reads and watches mainly US-American news outlets.

My current RSS feeds number 422! That's a combinations of news, writing, religion, science and technology, military, and local. And, if you really want to see what the different headlines are, check out the Drudge Report or BadBlue.

A dozen different sites will report the exact same story in 12 different ways. :mad:

You forgot the Jerusalem Post. ... :cool:

So, in spite of the nasty intent of your posting, as usual, I will give you an adult response:

Yes, I also read the JP as well as Haaretz, but I also read Al Jazeera every day. In terms of accuracy of reporting of most stuff, excluding the PA/Israeli conflict, Al Jazeera actually puts out very, very good reporting a lot of the time.

I hit about 9 other German news outlets, including ARD Tagesschau, ZDF Heute Journal, Berliner Morgenpost, Süddeutsche Zeitung, Phoenix, Deutsche Welle.

I also hit about 4 french news sites a day, including Le Monde.

I also hit the Guardian and BBC sometimes, also SKY.

But I decided to limit this thread to news sites that are primarily focused on the USA, since the bulk of the membership of USMB reads and watches mainly US-American news outlets.

My current RSS feeds number 422! That's a combinations of news, writing, religion, science and technology, military, and local. And, if you really want to see what the different headlines are, check out the Drudge Report or BadBlue.

A dozen different sites will report the exact same story in 12 different ways. :mad:

Yes, I concur with you. Wild, what?

The media issue is a tricky subject, because there will always be bias in those articles.

Maybe it's part of human nature to convey events other than what they really are?

I prefer a simplistic approach of the events, without trying to spin it one way or another. Even worse is when news is fabricated. Repetitive news is boring, too, which is why I stopped watching CNN because they won't shut up about that missing plane.

For crying out loud, you'd think CNN owns that plane and every single member on board was a personal family member of one of the news casts. CNN has gone down the tubes with their coverage. It's the problem with a lot of the local cable news networks. It's all for entertainment with very little real news. You have to go find that for yourself.

For crying out loud, you'd think CNN owns that plane and every single member on board was a personal family member of one of the news casts. CNN has gone down the tubes with their coverage. It's the problem with a lot of the local cable news networks. It's all for entertainment with very little real news. You have to go find that for yourself.

I love the running wolf[?] in your signature.

I love the running wolf[?] in your signature.

Thanks, yep it's a wolf. :D

[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] [MENTION=26838]Ropey[/MENTION] [MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION] [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] [MENTION=45164]pacer[/MENTION] [MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION] [MENTION=36154]Roudy[/MENTION] [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION] [MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION] [MENTION=20450]MarcATL[/MENTION] [MENTION=46804]RandomVariable[/MENTION] [MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION] [MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION] [MENTION=45320]Nyvin[/MENTION] [MENTION=48060]guno[/MENTION] [MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION] [MENTION=41303]katsteve2012[/MENTION] [MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION] [MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] [MENTION=20321]rightwinger[/MENTION] [MENTION=24452]Seawytch[/MENTION] [MENTION=24208]Spoonman[/MENTION] [MENTION=29697]freedombecki[/MENTION] [MENTION=18905]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=3135]jillian[/MENTION] [MENTION=19170]Coyote[/MENTION] [MENTION=23239]westwall[/MENTION] [MENTION=9429]AVG-JOE[/MENTION] [MENTION=15726]Hossfly[/MENTION] [MENTION=41985]drifter[/MENTION] [MENTION=29614]C_Clayton_Jones[/MENTION] [MENTION=13805]Againsheila[/MENTION]

I wanted to invite you especially just to take a look and notice the many differences in the type of things that are being reported and how they are being reported.

I personally go to about 15 news outlets a day, browse - and then delve, and I go to as many Conservative-leaning sites as I do to Liberal-leaning sites, alongside what we generally called the "mainstream media". In other words, I have a pretty healthy diet of everything in my daily news consumption.

In the past, such threads have received OUTSTANDING commentary from people from all over the spectrum, not only about stuff that appears to be missing from one site, but to be found in abundance on another site, but also comments about format, use of graphics, story placement on a page, etc.

And in the past, I have discovered just as many enlightening and helpful comments from Conservatives as from Liberals - so nothing about this OP is supposed to be a potshot at one site or another, because for every single one of the outlets above, even the ones that lean strongly in one ideological direction, I can find at least one very, very positive thing to say and remember about that particular headline page.

See what differences you can find, ones that please you and also the ones that don't. What would you perhaps do differently? What do you expect of a good news outlet? If you could tell the Editor of said news outlet what he should change, what would you tell him? Say it here, let us know. Let's get a good conversation started on news "production", taking a very average day in the month, like April 26th, 2014, to speak about it.

Remember, we are being inundated and influenced by this stuff from all corners every day, so this kind of thing, imo, helps the process of discernment.

Have fun!

-Stat

PS. If you quote the OP, you might want to edit out the graphic http's from the screenshots that you are NOT talking about, otherwise, the postings may get very, very lonnnnnngggg.....

:lol:
I want accurate news reporting. However, that seems to much to ask.

Sensationalism seems to be the order of the day.

Forum List

Back