AR15 Change to 16" barrel

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
In light of the proposed ATF 'rule' change regarding a brace on an AR-15 pistol, I've been thinking about buying a 16" upper to replace the 10.5" barrel that I have now, which according to the current rules makes my gun a rifle instead of a pistol, true? And as such I can put a foregrip on it too, right? I'd rather spend the $200 on a longer upper than give them effers $200.

I have 29 AR-15 and a M-16. I have no use for a short barrel AR. Don't own one and have no intentions of getting one. A lot of guys like them and that is OK but a 16 inch barrel is plenty short enough and has good muzzle velocity.

In light of the proposed ATF 'rule' change regarding a brace on an AR-15 pistol, I've been thinking about buying a 16" upper to replace the 10.5" barrel that I have now, which according to the current rules makes my gun a rifle instead of a pistol, true? And as such I can put a foregrip on it too, right? I'd rather spend the $200 on a longer upper than give them effers $200.

The problem is if your lower is registered as a pistol it must remain a pistol.

Okay, first off we really have no idea what they plan to do, everything about this so called ban is still up in the air. Secondly if the ATF follows through with this "ban" the lawsuits will come fast and furious as it appears the ATF is trying to rewrite the NFA which is outside of their constitutional scope. While it is never sure what will happen in the courts it's relatively safe to think this will not pass Constitutional muster.
Also, as per the proposed rules if you bought the pistol with the brace already on it then you can apply for the DBR without having to pay the tax stamp or turn in the whole pistol. If you added the brace/blade yourself then all you have to do is remove it.

Oh and even a compete 16" budget upper will set you back around $300 +.

Okay, so I remove the stupid temporary plastic brace thing on the end and no foregrip and now it's a pistol, right? With this metal tube sticking out. Assuming the proposed rule change is what we have been led to believe. Or, I can spend the money to acquire a 16" upper and attach it to my AR-15, right? That cheap-ass plastic thing is all but worthless anyway, don't know why they put it on the gun cuz it doesn't stabilize anything and has no recoil absorption. If I'm going to use that gun for anything, it's gotta have some kind of stock or brace on it that is usable.

Attachments

• 100_0299.JPG
    100_0299.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 22
So, if I saw off my rifle so it is more like a pistol, it's against the law but, if I move the stock it's not? Sorry for my ignorance here, I guess I just don't get it.

So, if I saw off my rifle so it is more like a pistol, it's against the law but, if I move the stock it's not? Sorry for my ignorance here, I guess I just don't get it.
You can remove the stock and fit the receiver with a shorter than 16" barrel then add a brace and be GTG...For now.

It's ATF rules, subject to change on a whim, they are not supposed to make any sense. ;)

Okay, so I remove the stupid temporary plastic brace thing on the end and no foregrip and now it's a pistol, right? With this metal tube sticking out. Assuming the proposed rule change is what we have been led to believe. Or, I can spend the money to acquire a 16" upper and attach it to my AR-15, right? That cheap-ass plastic thing is all but worthless anyway, don't know why they put it on the gun cuz it doesn't stabilize anything and has no recoil absorption. If I'm going to use that gun for anything, it's gotta have some kind of stock or brace on it that is usable.
You can get a foam sleeve for the buffer tube, they're cheap. For stability add a single point tactical sling.

GUNTEC-USA-FOAM-3.jpg

This way you can rest your cheek on the foam and shoot that way or using the single point push the gun out away from you to create tension to stabilize the pistol.

BTW, what caliber AR are you using? Looks like a standard .223/5.56 magazine in the picture or just a .223.

Last edited:
There is only one super cool way to make a pistol into a rifle ...

ZWXTQXWHA4I6TBKNIBWI6S7HAY.jpg

Also while adding a vertical foregrip on an AR pistol will automatically make it an SBR you can add an angled foregrip and it would still be a pistol.

Magpul-AFG-1.jpg

My son put a red dot on his AR pistol and shoots it from the hip.

His AR is chambered in .300 BO and the recoil is so light lacking a stock/brace is not an issue.

I shot it once and it’s really very accurate, if you enjoy that type of configuration.

And that won’t be until April of next year.

Won’t hurt to start planning now.
Someone leaked that they will release the new rules this Dec 28th but of course that is still speculation. I'm still taking a wait and see because the ATF, a law enforcement agency appears to be rewriting the NFA, something that is beyond their Constitutional authority. We'll see if they do it and what the courts have to say about it.

Looks like a standard .223/5.56 magazine in the picture or just a .223.

It's a 5.56 NATO that can also chamber a .223. I did not realize how loud those things are, it would blow out your eardrums if you fired it inside a house. Even with a suppressor, I imagine it would still be really loud indoors. I thought with less recoil than a big bore gun it would be easier to handle, but the noise is way too much for home defense. I am rethinking what I really need.

Forum List

Back