Biden unveils latest attempt to kill off gas cars in bid to force all Americans to switch to EVs

What a shit show this will be.

Joe Biden has dealt another body blow to America's gas car manufacturers after his stuttering roll out of EV charging points was slammed as 'pathetic'. The Transportation Department told automakers they have eight years to squeeze another 16 miles per gallon out of their cars if they want to stay in business while the fuel efficiency of their trucks will have to double. Friday's edict came just weeks after the EPA slashed the limits on tailpipe emissions as part of the White House pledge to ensure that more than half of all new vehicles sold are electric by 2032.

The latest rules impose average miles per gallon limits across manufacturers' entire product lines, so if they make more electric vehicles they will find it easier to meet the targets. Their passenger cars will have to average 65 miles per gallon by 2031, up from 48.7 miles today. Pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles will have to average 45 miles rather than the 35.1 miles today. But heavy duty pickup trucks and large vans will have to nearly double their fuel efficiency from 18.8 to 35 miles per gallon. The tough new regulations are designed to save nearly eight billion tons of carbon emissions by the middle of the century and have been welcomed by environmentalists and health campaigners.

'Today's final rule is another important step toward reducing carbon pollution and curbing climate change,' said Harold Wimmer of the American Lung Association. But 25 Red states have filed a lawsuit challenging the new tailpipe rules they fear will destroy jobs. 'The Biden Administration is willing to sacrifice the American auto industry and its workers in service of its radical green agenda,' said Kentucky Attorney General Russell Coleman. 'We just aren't buying it. Demand for EVs continues to fall, and even those who want to buy one can't afford it amid historic inflation.'

The latest rules impose average miles per gallon limits across manufacturers' entire product lines, so if they make more electric vehicles they will find it easier to meet the targets. Their passenger cars will have to average 65 miles per gallon by 2031, up from 48.7 miles today. Pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles will have to average 45 miles rather than the 35.1 miles today. But heavy-duty pickup trucks and large vans will have to nearly double their fuel efficiency from 18.8 to 35 miles per gallon.

The tough new regulations are designed to save nearly eight billion tons of carbon emissions by the middle of the century and have been welcomed by environmentalists and health campaigners. 'Today's final rule is another important step toward reducing carbon pollution and curbing climate change,' said Harold Wimmer of the American Lung Association. But 25 Red states have filed a lawsuit challenging the new tailpipe rules they fear will destroy jobs. 'The Biden Administration is willing to sacrifice the American auto industry and its workers in service of its radical green agenda,' said Kentucky Attorney General Russell Coleman.

'We just aren't buying it. Demand for EVs continues to fall, and even those who want to buy one can't afford it amid historic inflation.'

'The electric vehicle market is growing, but consumers have enough reservations about the current options and charging infrastructure challenges to limit more significant growth in the short term,' said analyst Jessica Caldwell. Transport secretary Pete Buttigieg defended the new emissions standards. 'Not only will these new standards save Americans money at the pump every time they fill up, they will also decrease harmful pollution and make America less reliant on foreign oil,' he said in a statement.

'These standards will save car owners more than $600 in gasoline costs over the lifetime of their vehicle.'

We can't get shed of the Biden administration fast enough.....Then we really need to get going on gutting the EPA like a fish.

I mean what a fun way to absolutely crush the American economy.

It took a little more than 20 years for the US to transition from horse and carriage to the automobile.

Back in the 1920, a Model T cost about $280...which is about $9K today. What US made electric car costs $9K?

This isn't about the environment....They hate your freedom to travel as you wish.
Also a 25% tariff just got slapped onto imported EVs and everything involved therewith.

Parts, tires, everything.

It kept a lot of people employed, kept them off welfare. In that sense, it served the public good. That it might have slowed the survival of the fittest in the more than a century-old car industry is pretty trivial.

Has nothing to do with what I said. It had nothing to do with Capitalism. Capitalism does not force others to bail a company out of it's bad decisions.

Has nothing to do with what I said. It had nothing to do with Capitalism. Capitalism does not force others to bail a company out of it's bad decisions.
Capitalism is not a law. It does not appear in the Constitution. If the government chooses to bail out a company because they believe it to be a net win for the American people, they are simply doing what we elected them to do.

Capitalism is not a law. It does not appear in the Constitution. If the government chooses to bail out a company because they believe it to be a net win for the American people, they are simply doing what we elected them to do.

Yes if the country decides to do so they can but it is NOT Capitalism. Stop your rambling.

Yes if the country decides to do so they can but it is NOT Capitalism. Stop your rambling.
My point is "so what?"
Read the replies before yours.
No thanks. Capitalism is not a topic for this forum. The health of the car industry is only on its very fringes. I think the amount of EV posting on this forum exceeds its significance to the environment. So I don't really care. I just saw something I wanted to address: that whether or not the government's bailout of the car industry was capitalist or not is simply irrelevant.

Any Company that NEEDS a Gov't Bailout is not worthy to survive. Should be acquired by a better company.

What a shit show this will be.

Joe Biden has dealt another body blow to America's gas car manufacturers after his stuttering roll out of EV charging points was slammed as 'pathetic'. The Transportation Department told automakers they have eight years to squeeze another 16 miles per gallon out of their cars if they want to stay in business while the fuel efficiency of their trucks will have to double. Friday's edict came just weeks after the EPA slashed the limits on tailpipe emissions as part of the White House pledge to ensure that more than half of all new vehicles sold are electric by 2032.

The latest rules impose average miles per gallon limits across manufacturers' entire product lines, so if they make more electric vehicles they will find it easier to meet the targets. Their passenger cars will have to average 65 miles per gallon by 2031, up from 48.7 miles today. Pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles will have to average 45 miles rather than the 35.1 miles today. But heavy duty pickup trucks and large vans will have to nearly double their fuel efficiency from 18.8 to 35 miles per gallon. The tough new regulations are designed to save nearly eight billion tons of carbon emissions by the middle of the century and have been welcomed by environmentalists and health campaigners.

'Today's final rule is another important step toward reducing carbon pollution and curbing climate change,' said Harold Wimmer of the American Lung Association. But 25 Red states have filed a lawsuit challenging the new tailpipe rules they fear will destroy jobs. 'The Biden Administration is willing to sacrifice the American auto industry and its workers in service of its radical green agenda,' said Kentucky Attorney General Russell Coleman. 'We just aren't buying it. Demand for EVs continues to fall, and even those who want to buy one can't afford it amid historic inflation.'

The latest rules impose average miles per gallon limits across manufacturers' entire product lines, so if they make more electric vehicles they will find it easier to meet the targets. Their passenger cars will have to average 65 miles per gallon by 2031, up from 48.7 miles today. Pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles will have to average 45 miles rather than the 35.1 miles today. But heavy-duty pickup trucks and large vans will have to nearly double their fuel efficiency from 18.8 to 35 miles per gallon.

The tough new regulations are designed to save nearly eight billion tons of carbon emissions by the middle of the century and have been welcomed by environmentalists and health campaigners. 'Today's final rule is another important step toward reducing carbon pollution and curbing climate change,' said Harold Wimmer of the American Lung Association. But 25 Red states have filed a lawsuit challenging the new tailpipe rules they fear will destroy jobs. 'The Biden Administration is willing to sacrifice the American auto industry and its workers in service of its radical green agenda,' said Kentucky Attorney General Russell Coleman.

'We just aren't buying it. Demand for EVs continues to fall, and even those who want to buy one can't afford it amid historic inflation.'

'The electric vehicle market is growing, but consumers have enough reservations about the current options and charging infrastructure challenges to limit more significant growth in the short term,' said analyst Jessica Caldwell. Transport secretary Pete Buttigieg defended the new emissions standards. 'Not only will these new standards save Americans money at the pump every time they fill up, they will also decrease harmful pollution and make America less reliant on foreign oil,' he said in a statement.

'These standards will save car owners more than $600 in gasoline costs over the lifetime of their vehicle.'

We can't get shed of the Biden administration fast enough.....Then we really need to get going on gutting the EPA like a fish.

I mean what a fun way to absolutely crush the American economy.

It took a little more than 20 years for the US to transition from horse and carriage to the automobile.

Back in the 1920, a Model T cost about $280...which is about $9K today. What US made electric car costs $9K?
Vote biden and the crazy ev fanatics out of office

As a kid in the 60's and 70's, a car was a luxury. You walked up town to the many little one man shops. The main road outside the house, we used to play games on it. Then in the late 80's, it was so busy the town had to have a bypass built.

And now most of the shops have closed due to the car and supermarkets. Folk now just jump into the car, do the supermarket shopping, then back home. They probably never met most of their neighbours.

So will everything go full circle, cars and supermarkets decline, small corner shops and meeting folk increase?

As a kid in the 60's and 70's, a car was a luxury.
Perhaps to your family. America had lots of cars in the 60s and 70s.
You walked up town to the many little one man shops. The main road outside the house, we used to play games on it. Then in the late 80's, it was so busy the town had to have a bypass built.
Good American progress, eh.
And now most of the shops have closed due to the car and supermarkets. Folk now just jump into the car, do the supermarket shopping, then back home. They probably never met most of their neighbours.
Good American progress, eh/
So will everything go full circle, cars and supermarkets decline, small corner shops and meeting folk increase?
Transportation systems and technology may change, but I don't think people are ready to give up easy transportation. I see quite a few people in my neighborhood riding those rent-yourself electric scooters and bikes. Our city has a usable bus system. However, I think the mom-and-pop small stores are not just being done in my improved transportation. With their small scale they simply cannot compete with the price, choices or volume of the big discount stores and online shopping. My wife and I buy a lot of things online, but we still go out for groceries, gasoline (for our hybrid Sienna), pet food (3 cats, 1 dog), medical, gardening, home improvement, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe more and more delivered goods. Until everyone gets tire of Milk that expires in 2 days or crushed bags of Potato chips. I carefully pick and carefully bag. I see the fixed shoppers more or less shoving it into bags and cars. I almost buy nothing online that is not imossible without online. I don't want to be running to USPS, finding boxes, paying $12 to ship a battery back on a EV vacuum cleaner that don't work or don't fit. I've said my peice.

Global warming is pure hogwash scam implemented by the DEEP state in power and long-range money grab.

Forum List

Back