Biden unveils latest attempt to kill off gas cars in bid to force all Americans to switch to EVs

Again, cars are safer than ever.

Did you come to this conclusion based upon an engineering degree?

The Transportation Department told automakers they have eight years to squeeze another 16 miles per gallon out of their cars if they want to stay in business while the fuel efficiency of their trucks will have to double.

How do you think automakers are going to "squeeze another 16 miles per gallon out of their cars" in the next 8 years? Give me your 3 best ideas.

Physics, common sense, reality, history, statistics.

F=M*A. Gasoline cars don’t have much more free lunch I would expect?

There is some high-tech BS they can add as I mentioned above, Like shutting Cylinders down under light load. But no one can fix those cars at home if it goes South. You need a new PCB installed….several places.

ToddsPatriot may be right, only lighter weight is going to help?

Last edited:
F=M*A. Gasoline cars don’t have much more free lunch I would expect?

There is some high-tech BS they can add. As I mentioned above, Like shutting Cylinders down under light load. But no one can fix those cars at home if it goes South. You need a new PCB installed….several places.

ToddsPatriot may be right, only lighter weight is going to help?
I have a big hybrid car and a small gas car. The small car is much lighter but they both get about the same MPG although the hybrid gets much better mileage when it is in town.

The Transportation Department told automakers they have eight years to squeeze another 16 miles per gallon out of their cars if they want to stay in business while the fuel efficiency of their trucks will have to double.

How do you think automakers are going to "squeeze another 16 miles per gallon out of their cars" in the next 8 years? Give me your 3 best ideas.

Physics, common sense, reality, history, statistics.

Politicians love hyperbole. It's just like states that have claimed they would ban ICE cars and have since backed off on that.

I simply stated I support forcing manufacturers to do better.

Politicians love hyperbole. It's just like states that have claimed they would ban ICE cars and have since backed off on that.

Within reason? I would simply pause new designs until they removed impossible requirements. Let them make GOVT cars like East Germany, ir they know so much.

Lay everybody off. Sell out the Gas line and shut it down. Maybe ALL hybrids only could get close? But on a big SUV or Truck to haul weight?

Within reason? I would simply pause new designs until they removed impossible requirements. Let them make GOVT cars like East Germany, ir they know so much.

Lay everybody off. Sell out the Gas line and shut it down. Maybe ALL hybrids only could get close? But on a big SUV or Truck to haul weight?

I've condemned those who have said they would ban ICE cars because is not reasonable or even doable.

It political hyperbole.

Politicians love hyperbole.

"squeeze another 16 miles per gallon out of their cars"

They don't really mean it?

The tough new regulations are designed to save nearly eight billion tons of carbon emissions by the middle of the century and have been welcomed by environmentalists and health campaigners.

Sure is easy to make environmentalists happy these days ... we emit 35 gigatons of CO2 every year ... over 25 years is 875 gigatons ... these new rules save less than one percent ...

You buy a Ford, you deserve a Ford ... easy ...

I have no problem with the government forcing the manufacturers to be responsible.

1. Otherwise manufacturers in other countries will.

2. Manufacturers here will cry and expect bail outs.

3. I'd rather not live with 50 year old technology.

The problem is the standards are designed to make meeting them impossible, or far more expensive than the supposed $600 you would save due to them. What's the point of saving $600 over a decade when the car or truck is going to cost $5,000 more to buy?

Sure is easy to make environmentalists happy these days ... we emit 35 gigatons of CO2 every year ... over 25 years is 875 gigatons ... these new rules save less than one percent ...

You buy a Ford, you deserve a Ford ... easy ...

But they help reduce our reliance on the Middle East.

The problem is the standards are designed to make meeting them impossible, or far more expensive than the supposed $600 you would save due to them. What's the point of saving $600 over a decade when the car or truck is going to cost $5,000 more to buy?

Because of course manufacturers won't raise prices otherwise.

But they help reduce our reliance on the Middle East.

We have OIL fir 100 years right here. Allow drilling, refining and pipelines. The Earth is the “SUN” at its core. Constantly producing new OIL. CO2 makes plants grow. We are clean enough in Big cities. I don’t see any issue?

You want to talk plastics, over-packaging? Solid waste dumps? Quit wasting time on Oil.

We have OIL fir 100 years right here. Allow drilling, refining and pipelines. The Earth is the “SUN” at its core. Constantly producing new OIL. CO2 makes plants grow. We are clean enough in Big cities. I don’t see any issue?

You want to talk plastics, over-packaging? Solid waste dumps? Quit wasting time on Oil.

We do but the Middle East decides to cut production and the markets go crazy running up the price.

Want to take the markets (outside of end users) out of the market instead?

I'd go for that.

Forum List

Back