The Two Faces Of EVs: Brilliant In Town, Hopeless In The Fast Lane

There have recently been developed solid state devices that use solar radiation directly to breakdown water.

Google AI

There are several new developments in methods for producing hydrogen from water, including:
  • Thermochemical water splitting
    Uses high temperatures from nuclear reactors or solar concentrators to split water into hydrogen and oxygen through chemical reactions. This method has the potential for low or no greenhouse gas emissions.
  • Photobiological water splitting
    Uses microbes, like green algae, to consume water and produce hydrogen as a byproduct in the presence of sunlight.
  • Photoelectrochemical water splitting
    Uses special semiconductors and energy from sunlight to produce hydrogen from water.
  • Water electrolysis
    Uses cathode and anode catalysts to speed up the reactions of water splitting and recombination into hydrogen and oxygen. The proton-exchange-membrane (PEM) is a promising implementation of water electrolysis that can produce green hydrogen efficiently at high rates.
  • Solar power and agricultural waste
    A new method that uses solar power and agricultural waste, like husks or manure, to produce hydrogen gas from water. This method can reduce the amount of energy needed to extract hydrogen by 600%.
  • Simpler and safer method
    Uses one electrode to produce both hydrogen and oxygen, similar to a rechargeable battery that charges and discharges.
Seen some pretty neat solar parabolic arrays that concentrate the sunlight. They get 800 degrees in the focal chamber and then go on to drive a steam turbine. Could probably do a similar operation with the electrolysis... Don't need the temperature or pressure....but

Seen some pretty neat solar parabolic arrays that concentrate the sunlight. They get 800 degrees in the focal chamber and then go on to drive a steam turbine. Could probably do a similar operation with the electrolysis... Don't need the temperature or pressure....but
This is actually a photochemical reaction. The panel simply acts as a physical catalyst with some sort of weird nano-texture. There is no electricity generated by the thing. Sunlight shining on water in contact with this surface causes the water to break down into hydrogen and oxygen.

This is actually a photochemical reaction. The panel simply acts as a physical catalyst with some sort of weird nano-texture. There is no electricity generated by the thing. Sunlight shining on water in contact with this surface causes the water to break down into hydrogen and oxygen.
That has real potential....depending on the consumables cost. But hell it's worth a look. I believe it's the ultra violet band that does the splitting yes? Similar to O3 generation in the atmosphere.

That has real potential....depending on the consumables cost. But hell it's worth a look. I believe it's the ultra violet band that does the splitting yes? Similar to O3 generation in the atmosphere.
I don't know. I've only read news stories on it.

I don't know. I've only read news stories on it.
That's a big step forward....no question. We were just informed that we will be needing to retrofit our whole plant for the 80/20 methane/hydrogen mix being mandated here. That's one gas turbine and three auxiliary boilers. Shit....looks like a good business opportunity on the horizon.

Forum List

Back