The Two Faces Of EVs: Brilliant In Town, Hopeless In The Fast Lane

if you got the cock out of your mouth long enough you would have read where I said I am against forcing people to buy one,,

and why are you switching to falsely claiming what I think instead of pushing your standards on the rest of us??

didnt that work out for you??

the tech and government mandates are two different things,,
Oh? Little progressive lover is reduced to insulting because he can't answer a simple question?

Unlike you I actually study these things. I love hybrid technology. For all of its environmental problems with rare earth mining, and the creation of toxic materials, it is incredibly efficient. In F1 they have reached a thermal efficiency (look it up) rate of 50%. That's AMAZING. That is a technology that will actually help reduce pollution in the long run, increase range for vehicles using it, reduce costs ultimately, and power the next generation of inexpensive vehicles that everyday people can use.

The F1 tech is currently limited to hypercars, affordable by only the Uber rich, but the tech is so important that the race organizers of Le Man's created an entirely new class, just for them, and they beat everything else in the race.

You keep acusing me of what you are actually guilty of. My standards are meaningless, the standards of the people buying the cars are what matters, and EV's DON'T meet their standards by such a high margin that governments are forcing them to buy them.

That's not my standard, you government loving leech, those are the standards of the PEOPLE.

Learn the difference.

Oh? Little progressive lover is reduced to insulting because he can't answer a simple question?

Unlike you I actually study these things. I love hybrid technology. For all of its environmental problems with rare earth mining, and the creation of toxic materials, it is incredibly efficient. In F1 they have reached a thermal efficiency (look it up) rate of 50%. That's AMAZING. That is a technology that will actually help reduce pollution in the long run, increase range for vehicles using it, reduce costs ultimately, and power the next generation of inexpensive vehicles that everyday people can use.

The F1 tech is currently limited to hypercars, affordable by only the Uber rich, but the tech is so important that the race organizers of Le Man's created an entirely new class, just for them, and they beat everything else in the race.

You keep acusing me of what you are actually guilty of. My standards are meaningless, the standards of the people buying the cars are what matters, and EV's DON'T meet their standards by such a high margin that governments are forcing them to buy them.

That's not my standard, you government loving leech, those are the standards of the PEOPLE.

Learn the difference.
youre the only one saying it so it must be your standard,,

I deeply apologize for hurting your feelings,,

youre the only one saying it so it must be your standard,,

I deeply apologize for hurting your feelings,,
You talk just like a progressive too. Huh. My feelings aren't hurt at all. And once again, because now you seem to be really, really, stupid.....it isn't me saying it, it is the PEOPLE saying it because they aren't buying your shitty cars!

Dumbass!

You talk just like a progressive too. Huh. My feelings aren't hurt at all. And once again, because now you seem to be really, really, stupid.....it isn't me saying it, it is the PEOPLE saying it because they aren't buying your shitty cars!

Dumbass!
I am still trying to figure out aftter 3 times of saying I am against mandates and the government forcing people into EVs makes me a government worshipper,,,

I will get back to you when I figured that out,,

but I am trully sorry I triggered you so much,,

I am still trying to figure out aftter 3 times of saying I am against mandates and the government forcing people into EVs makes me a government worshipper,,,

I will get back to you when I figured that out,,

but I am trully sorry I triggered you so much,,
Once again, you are projecting. You are the triggered one. I merely pointed out simple facts and instead of addressing those you resorted to personally attacking me.

I am happy to educate you on the subject because I know tons more about it than you ever will.

But, if you choose to act like the progressives you claim to dislike you aren't helpable.

Just sayin...

Once again, you are projecting. You are the triggered one. I merely pointed out simple facts and instead of addressing those you resorted to personally attacking me.

I am happy to educate you on the subject because I know tons more about it than you ever will.

But, if you choose to act like the progressives you claim to dislike you aren't helpable.

Just sayin...
not sure how/when I got triggered since it was you that came at me lying about what I said and demanded EVs meet your standards,,

as I said,,
theres no way I can argue when the world revolves around you,,

not sure how/when I got triggered since it was you that came at me lying about what I said and demanded EVs meet your standards,,

as I said,,
theres no way I can argue when the world revolves around you,,
You aren't arguing. You aren't discussing. You ARE lying. Come back when yiu grow up.

Learn the difference.
More on the thermal efficiency rating....not familiar with this particular product you're mentioning.

Currently running a 5.5 MW gas turbine that struggles to get to 31%....adding a HRSG gets us 60% on a good day....so I'm quite curious.

Last edited:
More on the thermal efficiency rating....not familiar with this particular product you're mentioning.
Thermal efficiency is a measurement of any heat creating machine or process. The more thermal lying efficient a system is the better it is. A thermal efficiency of 100% is akin to a perpetual motion machine.

The best thermal efficiency of an ICE powered vehicle before hybrid tech came along was approaching 34%. That after over 100 years of R&D.

When F1 adopted hybrid tech they were able to attain 50% thermal efficiency after TWO years of research.

That's astonishing and shows just how much more development is possible with hybrid tech.

ICE R&D gives you fractions of a percentage point of improvement for tens of millions of dollars. The hybrid work cost a couple of hundred million dollars and got 15 percentage points of increase in two short years.

Thermal efficiency is a measurement of any heat creating machine or process. The more thermal lying efficient a system is the better it is. A thermal efficiency of 100% is akin to a perpetual motion machine.

The best thermal efficiency of an ICE powered vehicle before hybrid tech came along was approaching 34%. That after over 100 years of R&D.

When F1 adopted hybrid tech they were able to attain 50% thermal efficiency after TWO years of research.

That's astonishing and shows just how much more development is possible with hybrid tech.

ICE R&D gives you fractions of a percentage point of improvement for tens of millions of dollars. The hybrid work cost a couple of hundred million dollars and got 15 percentage points of increase in two short years.
Oh I know what TE is ...I just haven't heard of a single process engine with 50%.
We get sixty with heat recovery.
How does this apply to a car engine? Not being a wise guy just looking for possible additions to our power plant.

Oh I know what TE is ...I just haven't heard of a single process engine with 50%.
We get sixty with heat recovery.
How does this apply to a car engine? Not being a wise guy just looking for possible additions to our power plant.
It's not a single process engine. It's a combination of the hybrid battery technology with the primary ICE powerplant. And all of it is proprietary so I don't know the details.

Hmmmm.....pretty interesting.
First time I've encountered it.

And, this is with highly regulated powerplants. The revs are limited, the fuel flow rate is limited etc. The engineering in these things is amazing.

And, they last. They are limited to the number of engines they can use in a season, so, instead of an engine used for qualifying (called a grenade, because they only needed to survive a few laps) and an engine built specifically for that particular race, these engines must be used fir multiple races, and qualifying sessions.

Just imagine what the engineers could do if they were cut loose!

And, this is with highly regulated powerplants. The revs are limited, the fuel flow rate is limited etc. The engineering in these things is amazing.

And, they last. They are limited to the number of engines they can use in a season, so, instead of an engine used for qualifying (called a grenade, because they only needed to survive a few laps) and an engine built specifically for that particular race, these engines must be used fir multiple races, and qualifying sessions.

Just imagine what the engineers could do if they were cut loose!
Toyota Prius already employs this general idea but not on such a scale....I have regenerative braking in the leaf.
Always a good idea.

Toyota Prius already employs this general idea but not on such a scale....I have regenerative braking in the leaf.
Always a good idea.
Yes, hybrid technologies still have a very long way to go before they reach the point of diminishing returns.

Like using hydrogen for the ICE side.
Have to find a way to electrolyze it economically. Tesla envisioned the huge static tower fields rigged in series to produce high voltage current. Hmmmm...

Have to find a way to electrolyze it economically. Tesla envisioned the huge static tower fields rigged in series to produce high voltage current. Hmmmm...
There have recently been developed solid state devices that use solar radiation directly to breakdown water.

Google AI

There are several new developments in methods for producing hydrogen from water, including:
  • Thermochemical water splitting
    Uses high temperatures from nuclear reactors or solar concentrators to split water into hydrogen and oxygen through chemical reactions. This method has the potential for low or no greenhouse gas emissions.
  • Photobiological water splitting
    Uses microbes, like green algae, to consume water and produce hydrogen as a byproduct in the presence of sunlight.
  • Photoelectrochemical water splitting
    Uses special semiconductors and energy from sunlight to produce hydrogen from water.
  • Water electrolysis
    Uses cathode and anode catalysts to speed up the reactions of water splitting and recombination into hydrogen and oxygen. The proton-exchange-membrane (PEM) is a promising implementation of water electrolysis that can produce green hydrogen efficiently at high rates.
  • Solar power and agricultural waste
    A new method that uses solar power and agricultural waste, like husks or manure, to produce hydrogen gas from water. This method can reduce the amount of energy needed to extract hydrogen by 600%.
  • Simpler and safer method
    Uses one electrode to produce both hydrogen and oxygen, similar to a rechargeable battery that charges and discharges.

Exactly, if you're someone who just drives around town and rarely takes your car long range they might make sense for you, but that doesn't describe most Americans. One day we'll probably get there, but it isn't today and herding us headfirst into a wall isn't going to help us.
Depends on the state. I live in NJ. The drive is mostly short distance. Same with NY, Rhode Island, and Washington etc, states with similar urbanization.

So EVs work perfectly for us. That EVs can't be used for long distances is not the fault or outside the capability of EVs but due to the lack of infrastructure concerning charge stations.

How is this different than the early part of the last century when cars were many but gas stations and roads were less? Then too, gas-driven cars with their rudimentary technology and lack of infrastructure prevented many from buying one.

Things will change. I remember not too long ago when EVs were derided as nothing better than a golf cart. Then came Tesla.

Conservatives prefer the status quo but unfortunately for them, change is constant.

Forum List

Back