The Two Faces Of EVs: Brilliant In Town, Hopeless In The Fast Lane

Are you suggesting that the "entire picture" is being suppressed or that the article to which I linked is being deceptive by omission?
I'm suggesting that without looking at all the data it is misleading.

I'm suggesting that without looking at all the data it is misleading.
What data do you believe is missing and how is what I linked to - and have linked to in the past - misleading?

Think about what you've just said. You tell us that you do not know the big picture but, somehow, you know you are being misled. You are assuming facts not in evidence.

Last edited:
What data do you believe is missing and how is what I linked to - and have linked to in the past - misleading
I think the per capita number of fires would be different and I think the per capita number of spontaneous combustions would overwhelmingly show that EV's - as they are currently designed - have a spontaneous combustion risk that far exceeds ICE vehicles. To me that's the risk that is most concerning.

I think the per capita number of fires would be different and I think the per capita number of spontaneous combustions would overwhelmingly show that EV's - as they are currently designed - have a spontaneous combustion risk that far exceeds ICE vehicles. To me that's the risk that is most concerning.
Numbers are provided both per capita and per mile. There is no such thing as spontaneous combustion. All fires have causes but the causes are not always visible or obvious. Why do you find such fires "most concerning"?

Numbers are provided both per capita and per mile. There is no such thing as spontaneous combustion. All fires have causes but the causes are not always visible or obvious. Why do you find such fires "most concerning"?
I only saw the per mile and I never saw the numbers used to calculate any number that was provided. Go back and look at my list. You can't do the analysis without them. Those numbers were not provided. So no one can actually challenge their numbers because they didn't provide the data they used to make their calcs.

Lastly, did they make a distinction on spontaneous combustion? Because that's the real problem with EV's.

I only saw the per mile and I never saw the numbers used to calculate any number that was provided. Go back and look at my list. You can't do the analysis without them. Those numbers were not provided. So no one can actually challenge their numbers because they didn't provide the data they used to make their calcs.
Pack it, friend. If you think you're the only person on Earth that can divide a couple numbers, you may have an unpleasant surprise in store. There isn't really a lot of "calculation" involved in counting.
Lastly, did they make a distinction on spontaneous combustion? Because that's the real problem with EV's.
They (the Forbes article linked above) did not make a separate "calculation" for your non-existent "spontaneous combustion". They did, however, state:

The scare about EV fires was whipped up by media coverage showing various expensive Teslas going up in flames after accidents, or for no particular reason. The implication was that this was somehow typical of EVs. The data now shows this isn’t the case, yet. The trouble is it would take a lot to make an ICE car in flames a headline story. “ICE Car Fire Sets White House Alight” might do it.

The media has also shown some scary-looking fires started by electric scooters parked overnight indoors. This highlights another problem arising from poor quality cells used on these very cheap vehicles entering thermal runaway.

The fires did highlight a serious problem for EVs. When battery fires do start they are much harder to put out than ICE ones. Fires can burn for days and often reignite when the fire seems defeated. Fire-fighters are trained to use total immersion in a swimming pool-like structure to make sure the fire is out.

Pack it, friend. If you think you're the only person on Earth that can divide a couple numbers, you may have an unpleasant surprise in store. There isn't really a lot of "calculation" involved in counting.

They (the Forbes article linked above) did not make a separate "calculation" for your non-existent "spontaneous combustion". They did, however, state:

The scare about EV fires was whipped up by media coverage showing various expensive Teslas going up in flames after accidents, or for no particular reason. The implication was that this was somehow typical of EVs. The data now shows this isn’t the case, yet. The trouble is it would take a lot to make an ICE car in flames a headline story. “ICE Car Fire Sets White House Alight” might do it.

The media has also shown some scary-looking fires started by electric scooters parked overnight indoors. This highlights another problem arising from poor quality cells used on these very cheap vehicles entering thermal runaway.

The fires did highlight a serious problem for EVs. When battery fires do start they are much harder to put out than ICE ones. Fires can burn for days and often reignite when the fire seems defeated. Fire-fighters are trained to use total immersion in a swimming pool-like structure to make sure the fire is out.
That you haven't provided the numbers proves my point.

That you haven't provided the numbers proves my point.
I provided reference sources supporting my claims. That is the limit of my responsibility here. If you want to go off an a tangential red herring about "spontaneous combustion" you get to find your own sources. We await your findings with bated breath.

Last edited:
which truck are you talking about??
the big rigs are running around 800HP with up to 2000 ft lbs of torque,,

the standard truck models will be around 300 hp with up to 1000 lbs of torque,,

either of those will beat the pants off any standard ICE truck

it would help if you actually watched it before commenting,,
That's an F100.

I once caught a GAS car on fire because I left a spark plug wire dangling. It got hot and sparked. Yes, the motor was on fire. I thought it was getting foggy. Drunk and high, no doubt. I pulled over raised the hot hood, almost got killed. from the surge of flames. Then a person came running up from God knows where with a fire extinguisher in the middle of nowhere in ORE or CA like God sent him. He put it out .... and just walked off. I yelled out, wow! thanks mister. Then he was gone? I have no idea. Some good stuff going around.

I provided reference sources supporting my claims. That is the limit of my responsibility here. If you want to go off an a tangential red herring about "spontaneous combustion" you get to find your own sources. We await your findings with bated breath.
No. All I said was...
It would be nice to see the entire picture. Total #of cars for each type. Total number of fires for each type. The total number of fires for of each type that combusted from collision and the total number of fires by type that combusted without being involved in a collision.
And you blew your top.

I haven't even blown my top at elektra. You couldn't so much as make me set down my coffee.
You blew your top over my saying, "It would be nice to see the entire picture. Total #of cars for each type. Total number of fires for each type. The total number of fires for of each type that combusted from collision and the total number of fires by type that combusted without being involved in a collision."

Do I need to list all your objections to my saying that? Who the fuck objects to others seeking MORE information?

You blew your top over my saying, "It would be nice to see the entire picture. Total #of cars for each type. Total number of fires for each type. The total number of fires for of each type that combusted from collision and the total number of fires by type that combusted without being involved in a collision."

Do I need to list all your objections to my saying that? Who the fuck objects to others seeking MORE information?
I have not blown my top and if anyone doubts that, they can simply read the exchange. I object because there is more than enough information in the Forbes article and the many like it for the discussion at hand. You aren't trying to answer some burning curiosity of your own. You're attempting to use a red herring, presenting unrelated issues with the claim (with zero evidence) that they will undercut the argument I have already presented. IOW, you're as full of shit as you've always been.

I have not blown my top and if anyone doubts that, they can simply read the exchange. I object because there is more than enough information in the Forbes article and the many like it for the discussion at hand. You aren't trying to answer some burning curiosity of your own. You're attempting to use a red herring, presenting unrelated issues with the claim (with zero evidence) that they will undercut the argument I have already presented. IOW, you're as full of shit as you've always been.
You did everything possible to dismiss my questions. And they still haven't been answered. Look at that data and get back to me.

I don't see why smaller gas or diesel engines couldn't power a larger electric motor.

That's how trains that pull 100s of tons of weight run. Obviously the torque is doable.
Exactly....those locomotive gen sets and DC motors are enormously powerful and impressively efficient.

I remember back in the olden days when cell phones were the size of bricks and didnt work worth a shit,,

all new tech has to go through growth to where its ready for everyday use,,
A direct application always Trump's a two stage application.

EVs will always be two stage. A hydrogen combustion engine is direct application. EVs will remain as a peripheral but I fear can never become the main. It's becoming obvious now.

Forum List

Back