The Two Faces Of EVs: Brilliant In Town, Hopeless In The Fast Lane

Hybrids should be able to use capacitors instead of batteries ... or some fancy-pants combination of both ... I don't think we can save enough on weight but it sure will cut back on fires ...

Did y'all see what happened in Otay down in SoCal ... the battery bank there burned for two solid weeks ...

Hybrids should be able to use capacitors instead of batteries ... or some fancy-pants combination of both ... I don't think we can save enough on weight but it sure will cut back on fires ...

Did y'all see what happened in Otay down in SoCal ... the battery bank there burned for two solid weeks ...
I was already thinking about a row of capacitors. Lighter than batteries, too.

Just read about that Otay fire, yikes.

LiPo is safer, but also heavier.

Last edited:
I was already thinking about a row of capacitors. Lighter than batteries, too.

I have a 3300µF capacitor at the butt end of my power supply ... without load it shore do take a long time to drain out ... sheesh ... voltages regulators are for girls ... REAL MEN just use great big capacitors ...

[insert monkey sounds] ...

It was mostly about grift and controlling the populace. Reducing mobility range for everyone.
So you think someone is spending billions of dollars over decades with the aim of reducing everyone's "mobility range"?

Can we say:

P-A-R-A-N-O-I-D F-A-N-T-A-S-Y W-H-A-C-K-J-O-B?

So you think someone is spending billions of dollars over decades with the aim of reducing everyone's "mobility range"?

Can we say:

P-A-R-A-N-O-I-D F-A-N-T-A-S-Y W-H-A-C-K-J-O-B?
STFU retard. I'm talking about government mandates in the very recent past.

Decades my ass. This started in 2021.

No. And I haven't heard anyone use that term since grade school. You're a grown man, are you not?

What government mandates?

And what happened in 2021 that makes you think a conspiracy is underway to reduce everyone's "mobility range"?
Things like this for one:

and this:

Supposed to be "ICE free" by 2030, too. Dumbass.

Last edited:
It was mostly about grift and controlling the populace. Reducing mobility range for everyone.

I think tax cuts for the Rich is a big part as well ...

If we stick to the premise of the OP ... EV's for town, piston-engined rigs for the highway ... then the EV's can be made much smaller ... we have had golf carts for decades and they have a payload more than enough for a couple sets of clubs, or the families' groceries ...

If I remember correctly ... it's about 4 miles pin-to-cup on a normal golf course ... for Petroleum Engineers, this is about 6 miles, for me about 30 miles ... (I enjoy exploring the landscaping is all) ... if we need to go further, there's the public bus service or just fire up the F-350 ...

If you're made of money ... then drive a Tesla ... or an XJ6 ... you're supposed to be flaunting it ...

For a Capacitor with a constant (DC) current charge/discharge, C (dv/dt) = i.

Say you had a 10(mili-farad) Cap (huge). If you had a 10A DC current constant charge to 100V it would take 10m(100V/10A) = t. Time = 100mili-seconds. Put 100 in a bank, it is 1sec to charge all or discharge all?

Does this mean for CAPS you would need a constant 10A DC generator to keep it running?

I really need to get to work.

Things like this for one:

Supposed to be "ICE free" by 2030, too. Dumbass.
Is gasoline powered lawn equipment a big component in personal mobility?

And, an incentive program isn't a mandate.

And when you say "government mandates", I thought you must be talking about OUR government and that you meant the federal government. Big surprise - we don't all live in California.

Last edited:
Is gasoline powered lawn equipment a big component in personal mobility?

Have you seen the size of the yards in the midwest people have to keep mowed or face GOVT fines. You ain't doing a damp high 1/2 acre yard with a little tiny battery powered mower.

Say you had a 10(mili-farad) Cap (huge). If you had a 10A DC current constant charge to 100V it would take 10m(100V/10A) = t. Time = 100mili-seconds. Put 100 in a bank, it is 1sec to charge all or discharge all?

Does this mean for CAPS you would need a constant 10A DC generator to keep it running?

Series of Caps, bruh, with mosfets regulating power in and power out.

If you're saying what I think your saying ... then change in demand will change the gas engine output ... current across the capacitor should stay the same? ... 100V would then be full speed 140 mph or whatever ... wouldn't 25 mph only need like 10V? ...

If you're saying what I think your saying ... then change in demand will change the gas engine output ... current across the capacitor should stay the same? ... 100V would then be full speed 140 mph or whatever ... wouldn't 25 mph only need like 10V? ...
Probably not those exact numbers, but yes.

Exactly, if you're someone who just drives around town and rarely takes your car long range they might make sense for you, but that doesn't describe most Americans. One day we'll probably get there, but it isn't today and herding us headfirst into a wall isn't going to help us.

Even then you still need to have some disposable income to have one.

Most auto makers even Chevy and ford don't make electric sedans. It's all suvs and even like Chevy's equinox starts at 44,000

The expected battery life is 3 to 5 years.

To replace a battery is 7,000 to 30,000

So you spend 44k, then every 5 years you spend another 7k. That's 51,000 dollars to own a average SUV for 5 years. And tack on another 7k minimum every 5 years after that.

Not very many can afford that, and quite a few like me that can still can't justify it.

Even then you still need to have some disposable income to have one.

Most auto makers even Chevy and ford don't make electric sedans. It's all suvs and even like Chevy's equinox starts at 44,000

The expected battery life is 3 to 5 years.

To replace a battery is 7,000 to 30,000

So you spend 44k, then every 5 years you spend another 7k. That's 51,000 dollars to own a average SUV for 5 years. And tack on another 7k minimum every 5 years after that.

Not very many can afford that, and quite a few like me that can still can't justify it.
I think very few people purchasing new EVs or hybrids spend the money to replace their batteries. They sell them or trade them in and let someone else deal with it. And battery maintenance is not always that expensive. Toyota hybrid batteries can have individual cells replaced with fairly easy access to the battery. Cost is much lower than on, say, a Tesla.

It is complicated but CAPS charge up to a Voltage. They then could deliver current to the load. But, CAPS will discharge as current is supplied to the load. The voltage will begin to drop. How low can you withstand? Can you feed them to a regulator and can it hold up while the caps go to re-charge time? I don't know. I am not an expert.

If the load drops they will discharge less. They will need less time to charge back up to full voltage as designed in. As the poster above said, you need some sort of switch (MOSFETS or relays) to toggle back and forth from delivering to the load vs. re-charging.

Forum List

Back