🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Two Faces Of EVs: Brilliant In Town, Hopeless In The Fast Lane

I think very few people purchasing new EVs or hybrids spend the money to replace their batteries. They sell them or trade them in and let someone else deal with it. And battery maintenance is not always that expensive. Toyota hybrid batteries can have individual cells replaced with fairly easy access to the battery. Cost is much lower than on, say, a Tesla.

Got it. Pay 2X vs Gas car, then junk it in 7-10 years. Thats' nice.

I think very few people purchasing new EVs or hybrids spend the money to replace their batteries. They sell them or trade them in and let someone else deal with it. And battery maintenance is not always that expensive. Toyota hybrid batteries can have individual cells replaced with fairly easy access to the battery. Cost is much lower than on, say, a Tesla.

This isn't about about some people, it's about most people and most people can't afford an EV to begin with. Let alone the cash to just buy another one every 5 years or so.

The point of my post is most people can't afford the cost of them. Most people would have to finance one and about the time they pay them off it's time to get a new one or finance getting the batteries replaced.

And you can replace cells but only in ones with a design that allow it. Tesla and another one I forgot have fused cells you can't really replace.

Then you have to have matching ones physically and require the same amp hour reading. Can't mix and match either as they their own bms software which is the battery monitoring software.

Replacing one cell can still be 1k to 3k dollars.

Bottom line is electric cars are not a magic bullet. They offer nothing that makes them a superior choice over gas cars. They have a few good points that are easily negated by bad points.

It is complicated but CAPS charge up to a Voltage. They then could deliver current to the load. But, CAPS will discharge as current is supplied to the load. The voltage will begin to drop. How low can you withstand? Can you feed them to a regulator and can it hold up while the caps go to re-charge time? I don't know. I am not an expert.

If the load drops they will discharge less. They will need less time to charge back up to full voltage as designed in. As the poster above said, you need some sort of switch (MOSFETS or relays) to toggle back and forth from delivering to the load vs. re-charging.

I'm imagining the capacitor in parallel with the load ... at a red light, the gas motor is at idle trickling in charge ... light goes green and gas motor can't keep up, thus boosted by the capacitor ... instead of an expensive flammable battery ... I'm just trying not to electrocute myself and there's plenty of gasoline as long as greenies ride bikes ...

Upon further review ... I think if this was a good idea, it would have been done already ... electro-diesel locomotives have been around a long while now ...

Bottom line is electric cars are not a magic bullet. They offer nothing that makes them a superior choice over gas cars. They have a few good points that are easily negated by bad points.

This is the heart of the OP ... EVs have a place ...

However ... one good point about electric motors over gas motors is there's only one moving part ... and it is a shame we can't use induction motors in our EV's ... DC motors have four more moving parts ... what a hassle ...

My power saw was bought in 1990 used ... I'm a carpenter ... 30 solid hard workin' years and she's NEVER needed maintenance ... never had to be repaired ... no internal combustion engine can compare ... none ... and my saw always runs at the perfect speed, as long as the perfect speed is 3600 rpm ...

Electric vehicles are mainly overpriced city cars, fine for local use but hopeless if you plan a long trip on fast motorways.

Next-generation solid-state technology batteries promise to half the price, weight and cost, and double the range. But until solid-state arrives, and this seems unlikely in any great numbers until at least 2030, EVs will remain the unfinished article.

Meanwhile, European car buyers are being effectively gaslit by a lack of detailed information about the EVs they are being persuaded to buy. Not only is official range information often seriously exaggerated. An important negative is deliberately omitted; the fact that high but legal autoroute cruising slashes range by between 30 and 60%.

EV buyers need honest data which should include a rating of fast-lane performance.

ACEA, the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association, known by its French acronym, was asked to comment on the quality of range data in general and the possibility of a motorway performance rating but declined to reply.

“Range falls off a cliff at high speed. For an electric car, the extra energy required getting from 60 mph to 75 mph is astonishing and virtually doubles energy consumption to move all that air out of the way,” Wells has said.

This range argument has been the elephant in the room for years. Back in 2012 when I questioned Elon Musk at the Geneva car show, he confirmed that Tesla average range claims were measured at 55 mph. It doesn’t much imagination to realize cruising at 75 mph is going to slash range.

EV range at autoroute cruising speeds is cut often by between 30% and 60%.

That explains why I pass so many Teslas and Mach Es like they are standing still when on the interstate.

Sigh, if only there was a nationwide charging system that still had their cables attached.....How many billions did we lay out for that?

Doesn't matter, charge time from empty is too long for cross country travel to be practical anyway.

Yep ya never see one burning down the highway ...you might see one on fire by the side of the highway

Yep ya never see one burning down the highway ...you might see one on fire by the side of the highway
According to this study in that leftwing rag Forbes, it is 61 times more likely to see a gasoline powered car on fire on the side of the highway.

It is more than 60 times more likely to see a gasoline powered car on fire on the side of the highway.

Not this again

Sigh

Where's our weekly update ....you're gonna teach us how to live green like you ...to save the planet ....from plant food

Not this again

Sigh

Where's our weekly update ....you're gonna teach us how to live green like you ...to save the planet ....from plant food
I'm going to keep on correcting mis- and disinformation I see. If you don't want me to respond to your posts, post the truth.

I'm going to keep on correcting mis- and disinformation I see. If you don't want me to respond to your posts, post the truth.
You're doing no such thing ....where's our weekly updates

"Science "just discovered what's wrong with Joe Biden

ddcccdssx.png

How do we help good ol honest joe the Uniter
Help him crick ...help us crick
Show us how to live ...before it's to late

Science !

You're doing no such thing ....where's our weekly updates

"Science "just discovered what's wrong with Joe Biden

View attachment 965500
How do we help good ol honest joe the Uniter
Help him crick ...help us crick
Show us how to live ...before it's to late

Science !

So, you were talking about YOUR weekly update?

Could you explain what this has to do with "the two faces of EVs: brilliant in town, hopeless in the fast lane", the topic of this thread?

So, you were talking about YOUR weekly update?

Could you explain what this has to do with "the two faces of EVs: brilliant in town, hopeless in the fast lane", the topic of this thread?
Along with wind mills and solar panels evs were an ecological disaster in the making ..

Good thing people are wising up to just how bad they are

How does your ev perform ?
Can it make it to pet smart when you feel like dining out?
Cause you wouldn't dare eat meat

Along with wind mills and solar panels evs were an ecological disaster in the making ..
That doesn't connect your iScience link to the thread topic.
Good thing people are wising up to just how bad they are
I guess that would include the people developing battery technology superior in charging capacity, charging speed, energy density and environmental impact.
How does your ev perform ?
My hybrid performs extremely well. How about your car? Should I presume you drive a coal-roller?
Can it make it to pet smart when you feel like dining out?
It has taken us across the nation several times now.
Cause you wouldn't dare eat meat
I'm afraid I do. My wife will not eat beef or pork and I admit to some qualms around the suffering of the animals we eat but at the moment I eat all the typical varieties. I would love to see cultured or laboratory-grown meat become dominant in the market as that seems the best of all possible worlds: I could stop thinking about the slaughter of livestock but still enjoy a filet mignon.

Another thread ruined by Chick's burning coal to condemn burning coal ...
I am currently in an area heavily served by wind turbines and zero coal powered plants. The amount of power supplied to this country by coal has been on the decline for many years now. Surely you were aware of that. If so, why have you tried to push that coal line like a bad slogan?

That doesn't connect your iScience link to the thread topic.

I guess that would include the people developing battery technology superior in charging capacity, charging speed, energy density and environmental impact.

My hybrid performs extremely well. How about your car? Should I presume you drive a coal-roller?

It has taken us across the nation several times now.

I'm afraid I do. My wife will not eat beef or pork and I admit to some qualms around the suffering of the animals we eat but at the moment I eat all the typical varieties. I would love to see cultured or laboratory-grown meat become dominant in the market as that seems the best of all possible worlds: I could stop thinking about the slaughter of livestock but still enjoy a filet mignon.
Stuff like plant based burgers have some of the same ingredients dog food has
Most processed foods including plant based that's supposedly good for the planet are slow poison ...
Lab grown meat is not gonna be any different and it takes a shitload of energy to produce ....

And yes yea yes the technology will be developed

Solid state batteries are still 5 to ten years out ...if they make it at all

According to this study in that leftwing rag Forbes, it is 61 times more likely to see a gasoline powered car on fire on the side of the highway.

Because there is 400million gas cars and about 2million EV cars? sure it's not 200X more likely? And only due to accidents with some due to bad maintenance causing Gasoline to get on the hot engine or broken wire sparking?

Because there is 400million gas cars and about 2million EV cars? sure it's not 200X more likely? And only due to accidents with some due to bad maintenance causing Gasoline to get on the hot engine or broken wire sparking?
You've got to try to remember that not everyone is as ignorant as you.

Try reading the article.

“The overall arching takeaway (from the data) is that the rate of fires happening is less for EVs than petrol or diesel cars, and quite substantially,” said James Edmondson, Research Director at Cambridge, England-based independent researcher IDTechEx in an interview.

Edmondson said various surveys showed EVs represented far less of the reported fires than might be expected
given their market share. Estimates by the Phosphorous, Inorganic & Nitrogen Flame Retardants Association reported 55 fires per billion miles travelled in ICE vehicles and five fires per billion for EVs. A report from AutoinsuranceEX said EVs exhibited 61 times fewer fires per 100,000 sales than ICE vehicles.

“Tesla has reported that between 2012 and 2021 there was approximately one Tesla vehicle fire for every 210 million miles travelled. This includes fires that did not originate in the vehicle, like arson, structure fires etc. According to the National Fire Protection Association, the national average in the U.S. was one fire per 19 million miles travelled. This suggests Tesla’s EVs are 11 times less likely to catch fire than the average car,” Edmondson said.

You've got to try to remember that not everyone is as ignorant as you.

Try reading the article.

“The overall arching takeaway (from the data) is that the rate of fires happening is less for EVs than petrol or diesel cars, and quite substantially,” said James Edmondson, Research Director at Cambridge, England-based independent researcher IDTechEx in an interview.

Edmondson said various surveys showed EVs represented far less of the reported fires than might be expected given their market share. Estimates by the Phosphorous, Inorganic & Nitrogen Flame Retardants Association reported 55 fires per billion miles travelled in ICE vehicles and five fires per billion for EVs. A report from AutoinsuranceEX said EVs exhibited 61 times fewer fires per 100,000 sales than ICE vehicles.

“Tesla has reported that between 2012 and 2021 there was approximately one Tesla vehicle fire for every 210 million miles travelled. This includes fires that did not originate in the vehicle, like arson, structure fires etc. According to the National Fire Protection Association, the national average in the U.S. was one fire per 19 million miles travelled. This suggests Tesla’s EVs are 11 times less likely to catch fire than the average car,” Edmondson said.
It would be nice to see the entire picture. Total #of cars for each type. Total number of fires for each type. The total number of fires for of each type that combusted from collision and the total number of fires by type that combusted without being involved in a collision.

It would be nice to see the entire picture. Total #of cars for each type. Total number of fires for each type. The total number of fires for of each type that combusted from collision and the total number of fires by type that combusted without being involved in a collision.
Much of that information was in the article and the quote I excerpted. And certainly more details are available elsewhere. Are you suggesting that the "entire picture" is being suppressed or that the article to which I linked is being deceptive by omission?

There are lots of articles on fires in EVs, ICE and hybrid vehicles. The Forbes article was simply at the top of the list and I gain advantage by using conservative sources with you rightwingers.

Much of that information was in the article and the quote I excerpted. And certainly more details are available elsewhere. Are you suggesting that the "entire picture" is being suppressed or that the article to which I linked is being deceptive by omission?
I didn't see it. So I think you are incorrect.

Forum List

Back