Are religious people happier than non-believers?

One has to define happiness at first.

and one can find that the definition is not the same for those who are religious/spiritual ( never understand why is it being distinguished as it is basically the same) and atheist are glaringly opposite.

"Religion is for those that require guidance from others
Spirituality is for those that lend ears to their inner voice"

I am in no way an expert, but that might be one of the many distinctions perhaps...

and one can find that the definition is not the same for those who are religious/spiritual ( never understand why is it being distinguished as it is basically the same) and atheist are glaringly opposite.

I am in no way an expert, but that might be one of the many distinctions perhaps...

I do not agree. It is a very superficial and actually untrue statement.

but it does not mater for this particular discussion.

I do not agree. It is a very superficial and actually untrue statement.

but it does not mater for this particular discussion.

and I respect your opinion. :)

The best people I know personally are devoutly religious. They take it seriously as the way in which they believe their lives should be conducted, and they are the most content people I have ever known, as well as the most introspective.

I wish I had their faith.

Last edited:

If G-d doesn't actually exist, then everyone's knowledge of faith-issues is exactly equal.

If G-d does exist then our faith is between Him and us, not us and other us's.

The best people I know personally are devoutly religious. They take it seriously as the way in which they believe their lives should be conducted, and they are the most content people I have ever known, as well as the most introspective.

I just came here to post that very word: content. Of the Christians I know and have known they are much more content with their lives than those without religion. Just my observation from having many as customers whose visits for often for long periods. Getting to know them. I used to tell some employees, all of that I just posted, too. I mean the difference between the two groups of people was GLARING....

I also feel one does not have to have religion to feel contentment. It's all in the attitude. Keeping it positive works for me. :thup:

I just came here to post that very word: content. Of the Christians I know and have known they are much more content with their lives than those without religion. Just my observation from having many as customers whose visits for often for long periods. Getting to know them. I used to tell some employees, all of that I just posted, too. I mean the difference between the two groups of people was GLARING....

I also feel one does not have to have religion to feel contentment. It's all in the attitude. Keeping it positive works for me. :thup:

Contentment AA. :smiliehug:

That's the word of the day and it's a keeper.

:)

WE BELIEVERS LIVE OUR LIVES AS sonsOF GOD!!! THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE TO LIVING LIFE AS A son OF ALMIGHTY GOD!!! THINK!

Think it's why atheists are so passionate about their disbeliefs. They're envious of a religious person's happiness being religious. If you don't believe in even the possibilities, I'd be unhappy and militant too. :) But as educated as I am, I still haven't made up my mind. Might not ever. Are enough curious goings ons to allow for the possibility some higher power exists and is watching out for us, or at least something with that role exists whether a discrete entity, or something else. But just because so many religious leaders are corrupt is no reason to toss the baby out with the bathwater and abandon all hope. Religions might simply be wrong, yet G-d exists nonetheless.

Think it's why atheists are so passionate about their disbeliefs. They're envious of a religious person's happiness being religious. If you don't believe in even the possibilities, I'd be unhappy and militant too. :)
If that was the case, Christianity and other major religions would not be on the rapid decline. It is the social aspect of religion that is uplifting and fulfilling and makes people happier not the religion itself.

"There are a number of mechanisms through which religion may make a person happier, including social contact and support that result from religious pursuits, the mental activity that comes with optimism and volunteering, learned coping strategies that enhance one's ability to deal with stress, and psychological factors such as "reason for being." (Studies on Religion and Happiness (Wikipedia)).

Atheists value reason over superstition; they are passionate about reality. They do not pretend to believe in an afterlife or hope for an afterlife and, for that reason, are purpose driven in the one life of which they are certain...this one!

think it's why atheists are so passionate about their disbeliefs. They're envious of a religious person's happiness being religious. If you don't believe in even the possibilities, i'd be unhappy and militant too. :)
if that was the case, christianity and other major religions would not be on the rapid decline. It is the social aspect of religion that is uplifting and fulfilling and makes people happier not the religion itself.

"there are a number of mechanisms through which religion may make a person happier, including social contact and support that result from religious pursuits, the mental activity that comes with optimism and volunteering, learned coping strategies that enhance one's ability to deal with stress, and psychological factors such as "reason for being." (studies on religion and happiness (wikipedia)).

Atheists value reason over superstition; they are passionate about reality. They do not pretend to believe in an afterlife or hope for an afterlife and, for that reason, are purpose driven in the one life of which they are certain...this one!
poor lost soul!!! No hope!!! Nothing to look forward to but death======but ah!!! Then comes judgment day!!! Best you wise up fast!!!

poor lost soul!!! No hope!!! Nothing to look forward to but death======but ah!!! Then comes judgment day!!! Best you wise up fast!!!
I have something to look forward to every day of my life. This life! If you have nothing to look forward to but a hope for an afterlife, you are the poor lost soul.

If that was the case, Christianity and other major religions would not be on the rapid decline. !

And they are not. they are expanding if anything.
There are recent stats posted in one of these threads (can't put my finger on it right now) which show Christianity and other organized religions are rapidly declining, especially amongst the younger generations. Here are a couple of articles on the subject.

http://www.ibtimes.com/christianity-decline-could-go-extinct-uk-says-lord-george-carey-1477466

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2013/12/the_slow_steady_decline_of_eva.php

Last edited:
I agree with this. Religion is a mechanical application of a set of ideals made by man, spirituality is ethereal in nature, comes from within with the guidelines set by the soul.

I wish more would understand the difference. It's but a prayer.

For me it is a state of being. How I conduct myself, treat others and celebrate life is a manifestation of my spirituality and is a testament to my spiritual health.

I agree with this completely. Religion and spirituality are very different things.

My spirituality is everything to me. It is part of and rules every facet of my life.

I wish more would understand the difference. It's but a prayer.

For me it is a state of being. How I conduct myself, treat others and celebrate life is a manifestation of my spirituality and is a testament to my spiritual health.

I agree with this completely. Religion and spirituality are very different things.

My spirituality is everything to me. It is part of and rules every facet of my life.

including your bigotry and constant lies?:D

If that was the case, Christianity and other major religions would not be on the rapid decline. !

And they are not. they are expanding if anything.
There are recent stats posted in one of these threads (can't put my finger on it right now) which show Christianity and other organized religions are rapidly declining, especially amongst the younger generations. Here are a couple of articles on the subject.

Christianity Is In Decline And Could Go Extinct In The UK, Says Lord George Carey

The Slow, Steady Decline of Evangelical Christianity

you provide blog opinions as a proof of the authors opinion?

Number of Christians of all denomination has been steadily GROWING over the last 100 years and the number of atheists and agnostics has been declining. Globally.

Lausanne World Pulse - Research Articles - The Past Five Years of Christian Growth Worldwide
Study: 2.6 Billion of World Population Expected to Be Christian by 2020

and here is a STUDY which just confirms by graphs and figures - ALLdenominations have been GROWING and continue to do so.

http://wwwgordonconwell.com/netcommunity/CSGCResources/ChristianityinitsGlobalContext.pdf

The world in 2010 was more religious than in 1970,
and this trend will continue to 2020 and perhaps
beyond.

Projections to 2020 indicate a sustained decrease of the
global share of the non-religious
. This is due primarily to the
resurgence of Buddhism, Christianity, and other religions in
China, and Christianity in Eastern Europe. If this trend continues,
agnostics and atheists will be a smaller portion of the
world’s population in 2020 than they were in 2010.
Although
the number of atheists and agnostics continues to rise in the
Western world, the current growth of a variety of religions
in China in particular (where the vast majority of the nonreligious
live today) suggests continued future demographic
growth of religion. From the point of view of 1970–2010,
there has been a global religious resurgence, and it seems
likely to continue into the future.
Two religions, Christianity and Islam, dominate religious demographics
and seem poised to continue that dominance in
the future.

Last edited:
you provide blog opinions as a proof of the authors opinion?
A link to the source of the stats is contained in the blogs.

Here is a recent Harris poll which shows religion on the decline:

Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > Americans? Belief in God, Miracles and Heaven Declines

polls are not reliable stats. The articles are actually opinions. I provided the links to actual studies which prove those opinions are false.

plus I am not closed on US only and you should not be as well. Isolationism never works :)

Last edited:
THINK!! There is no downside to living your klife as a son of ALMIGHTY GOD happy and blessed now and later an eternity in a new imortal body!!!PTL.

Forum List

Back