Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Sewing room accomplishments were cancelled by a bout of screaming out loud foot and whole-body cramps. Got my husband to the doctor's, and he got new meds. Maybe once he gets his problems squared away and gets his life back, I will also return to health.

Sew tired tonight.

My best thoughts to all.

:huddle:

With so little progress yesterday, except for a modicum of cutting, I got up in the wee hours and sewed stripes for a new quilt that is to be multicolored with gold. This is the fabric that will go in the outer border from a P&B Textiles group called "Love Lives Here."

Scan 1 is of the Fabric, and Scan 2 will be stripes from my stash sewed together in the reds and pink group. I love the fabrics I picked for this to go with another fabric from the "Love Lives Here" Collection that looks like multicolored oval bubbles on gold from a broad range. I did as much matching as I could and threw in a couple of extra favorites of mine to make the stripes. Scan 3 is the multicolored pebbles.

Still having some pains in my legs for some reason. They said it would take 2 days and evaluation time to figure out what's wrong or run more tests. :cool:

Attachments

• $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top1 Fabric.jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top1 Fabric.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 21
  • $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top2 Stripes.jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top2 Stripes.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 26
  • $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top3 Fabric inner border.jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top3 Fabric inner border.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 21
Just did another group before tiring out, and will show older to show the chromatic scale being used of the coordinates I found to go with the first fabric. ;)

Earthsong Bird Stripes so far:

Attachments

• $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top3 Fabric inner border.jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top3 Fabric inner border.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 21
  • $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top4 Stripes.jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top4 Stripes.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 26
    92 KB · Views: 20
Wow. Those are sensational, as usual.

Today, I had to order another fanny pack for my med pump. This one is worn and is damaging my clothes. I picked up a pattern at the quilt show for a texturized satin evening bag, which if measurements are adjusted, will be much more comfortable and easier on the clothes. I didn't realize I would have to texturize the satin though. ~sigh~ It will be a while until I can get a machine.

Today, I had to order another fanny pack for my med pump. This one is worn and is damaging my clothes. I picked up a pattern at the quilt show for a texturized satin evening bag, which if measurements are adjusted, will be much more comfortable and easier on the clothes. I didn't realize I would have to texturize the satin though. ~sigh~ It will be a while until I can get a machine.
On our trip to New York City years ago, we happened into a fabric store where the people had every fabric on rolls. I never saw so much beautiful stuff in my whole life. Too bad you can't just pick another type of fabric and use the pattern on it, unless it requires quilting. Seems the Paducah, KY Pfaff man had his shop in association with a Hancock's fabric we visited once. They, too, had more choices in one place than the NY place had. When I want a potholder that lasts under heavy use, I'll use the better part of an old Turkish towel in addition to batting on both sides of it covered by the outside layer. That makes it very resistant to heavy use. I wonder if the method would work to make you a holder that wouldn't wear down to the point of the equipment hurting you or your clothing. :confused:

Well, whatever. I carried some fabric at my store by Minnetonka mills they called "Elephant Hide." and was guaranteed tough. I'm not sure you could even quilt it. It was a double-thick high-gauge nylon that was heat-pressed to a near-waterproof substance that increased it's already stellar strength.

On our trip to New York City years ago, we happened into a fabric store where the people had every fabric on rolls. I never saw so much beautiful stuff in my whole life. Too bad you can't just pick another type of fabric and use the pattern on it, unless it requires quilting. Seems the Paducah, KY Pfaff man had his shop in association with a Hancock's fabric we visited once. They, too, had more choices in one place than the NY place had. When I want a potholder that lasts under heavy use, I'll use the better part of an old Turkish towel in addition to batting on both sides of it covered by the outside layer. That makes it very resistant to heavy use. I wonder if the method would work to make you a holder that wouldn't wear down to the point of the equipment hurting you or your clothing. :confused:

Well, whatever. I carried some fabric at my store by Minnetonka mills they called "Elephant Hide." and was guaranteed tough. I'm not sure you could even quilt it. It was a double-thick high-gauge nylon that was heat-pressed to a near-waterproof substance that increased it's already stellar strength.

There are a couple of problems. The specialty pharmacy gives you a holder but it is an under the arm thing, and has a pouch for a sandwich. WTF? A SANDWICH? For real? Anyway the butt packs are the right size. They are just heavy material and have those horrible buckles. I wear mine UNDER my clothes, so I have to wear a camisole so it doesn't eat me alive. The one I have ordered, well both, look a bit softer. But I still want one made of something else. I thought when I go to Paducah, I would sashay through a fabric store and see what kind of things they have that would work. Something heavy but not rough like the fanny packs. Upholstery? Drapery? All I need is just a little oblong bag about the size of an evening bag with a belt to go around my waist that fastens with something OTHER than those horrible plastic buckles. I can do this. WHEN I get a machine.

Cotton quilting with cotton or 100% Turkish cotton toweling for a batt is what I recommend. Cotton is the belle of millenniae of human comfort. Its cellular structure seems to have developed around bringing comfort to human skin. It absorbs the baddies, can be sanitized with boiling, washed and cleaned, and if need be, bleached again. It also allows breathing and protection. Cotton springs back after being hot whereas polyresins melt releasing a poisonous gas that kills people in house fires as a worst case scenario. Cotton lacks that much toxicity, but when vegetable matter burns, it's about like tobacco you don't want constant exposure to vegetable smoke. (Over years) I had a long conversation with the Chief of Fire in Casper one day years ago, and he surprised me. He agreed that polyresins are a threat, but he said when it comes to saving lives, the biggest one thing people can do to save themselves was to keep their batteries fresh in their fire alarms. He said they wear out every year, and need replacement. People forget to do that, he said, and even though they have the fire alarms, they don't go off after the batteries die, and do not hear any alarm to let them know smoke inhalation can get them before the fire does.

Fire Deaths and Injuries: Fact Sheet

Overview

Deaths from fires and burns are the third leading cause of fatal home injury (Runyan 2004). The United State’s mortality rate from fires ranks eighth among the 25 developed countries for which statistics are available (International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics 2009).
Although the number of fatalities and injuries caused by residential fires has declined gradually over the past several decades, many residential fire-related deaths remain preventable and continue to pose a significant public health problem.

Occurrence and Consequences

• On average in the United States in 2010, someone died in a fire every 169 minutes, and someone was injured every 30 minutes (Karter 2011).
  • About 85% of all U.S. fire deaths in 2009 occurred in homes (Karter 2011).
  • In 2010, fire departments responded to 384,000 home fires in the United States, which claimed the lives of 2,640 people (not including firefighters) and injured another 13,350, not including firefighters (Karter 2011).
  • Most victims of fires die from smoke or toxic gases and not from burns (Hall 2001).
  • Smoking is the leading cause of fire-related deaths (Ahrens 2011).
  • Cooking is the primary cause of residential fires (Ahrens 2011).

All three strip panels are done as of about 5 am this morning. Now all that has to be done is a series of about 4 borders, which I will show when done today or tomorrow.

Am putting the three panels in the order in which they will be joined to each other as soon as I get back to the sewing room this morning. :)

Edit: I'm adding this border fabric to the quilt, and chose pieces around it and a companion fabric that looks like pval bubbles or pebbles, and was manufactured by P and B Textiles, designed by P. Carter Carpin in collection with other fabrics called "Love Lives Here." They're all just gorgeous, imho, especially the big piece I'm adding now:

attachment.php

Attachments

92 KB · Views: 24
  • $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top4 Stripes.jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top4 Stripes.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 20
  • $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top5 Stripes.jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top5 Stripes.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Well, Did two sets of inner borders and small headers and footers to make the quilt long enough for a child. It was already about 41 inches long, and the header and footer added 3" apiece, plus the planned inner border is an additional inch and a half all the way around. the large print required a large outer border, so I had to keep the sides a little narrower. Otherwise, the gals who'd normally be willing might not be able to get a wider quilt underneath their machines rolled up with 3 layers to quilt it. I'd really love to quilt this one if I thought I could hold out to do it.

Attachments

• $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top8 footer.jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top8 footer.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 19
  • $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top7 inr bord.jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top7 inr bord.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 27
  • $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top6 inr bord.jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top6 inr bord.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 26
The top is done!

Scans 9, 10, bottom row, left and right
Scan 11, top, left

Attachments

• $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top9 Out.Bord..jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top9 Out.Bord..jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 26
  • $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top10 Out.Bord..jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top10 Out.Bord..jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 24
  • $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top11 Out.Bord..jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top11 Out.Bord..jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 20
Scans 12, 13, and 14

12, top right corner borders
13 and 14, side borders

Attachments

• $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top12 Out.Bord..jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top12 Out.Bord..jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 13
  • $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top13 Out.Bord..jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top13 Out.Bord..jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 12
  • $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top14 Out.Bord..jpg
    $Earthsong Bird Stripes Quilt Top14 Out.Bord..jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 19
OK, I got the fanny pack for the med pump. It is by far the best so far, and I'm going to order another one just to have a second one. Should I ever decide to make one, this one will be the pattern.

OK, I got the fanny pack for the med pump. It is by far the best so far, and I'm going to order another one just to have a second one. Should I ever decide to make one, this one will be the pattern.
So glad you got your med pump carrier worked out, Sunshine. :)

I'm working on a little quilt started from one of the log cabins made in the past year. I had 9 squares left and fashioned them into a friendship star, and it has been sitting in a pile for several weeks or even months. Time passes so quickly lately. Anyway, the little quilt is so far about 22" across and 25" high, after the first border. I pinned it to the center of some batting, and will try to see if I can make a decent quilted work. I hope it's not too hard, but I'm feeling better than this whole past week. Only trouble is, there's a lot to do outside lately with re to cleaning up the horrendous mess left by the fence builders knocking down the old fence and leaving boards with nails in them all over the place, not to mention fiberglass ribbons all over the ground that held the fencing materials together. They charged an arm and a leg but felt no compunctions about leaving a ton of heavy boards left over from their willy-nilly method of getting rid of the old fence and using it to welch other jobs out of two handicapped seniors to the tune of thousands of dollars. I canned them day before yesterday. We're out of home improvement money for life. I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I'm going to just bite the bullet, get out there, and do the cleanup. The doctor didn't find anything wrong with my tests they gave for the screaming out loud cramps I had this past week, but they found an infection in my husband's blood, so now he's on 4 medicines instead of 2. I'm praying he will be okay. :eusa_pray:

Guess I better do what I can--it's looking like rain out there, so it could be a short mowing day.

Love and health to all !!!

becki

This quilt block is like log cabin, and may be sewn log cabin OR courthouse steps style. I've done both, and am currently engrossed in one like it, except no white spaces. Hopefully, it will be a good size for a toddler-to-teen age person who may show up at the local families in need shelter.
A Steps to the White House-style quilt top found online called "Charles Quilt":

IMG_1183.jpg

And another view:

IMG_1188.jpg

Well, ok, mine's not exactly like that, but it's close enough. :D

Here's our little birthday present...pre-stamped pillow cases, I got a lot of them on sale, they're easy for novice stitchers:

embroidery4_zpsadde971d.jpg

Here's our little birthday present...pre-stamped pillow cases, I got a lot of them on sale, they're easy for novice stitchers:

Koshergrl! They're wonderful! And that handmade crocheted lace! It rocks! :rock:

Lol..pretty standard fare, pre-stamps and you can see the line of thread between the antennae; that's the girl's work and I didn't make her re-work it at the time, so I didn't go back and rework it on Saturday...no time! I literally finished whipping that edging on 1 minute before her birthday party ride arrived at the door, lol.

No wrapping paper, so we threw them into a tin heart shaped candy box left over from Valentine's Day (ghiradelli!) lol...

Koshergrl! They're wonderful! And that handmade crocheted lace! It rocks! :rock:

Lol..pretty standard fare, pre-stamps and you can see the line of thread between the antennae; that's the girl's work and I didn't make her re-work it at the time, so I didn't go back and rework it on Saturday...no time! I literally finished whipping that edging on 1 minute before her birthday party ride arrived at the door, lol.

No wrapping paper, so we threw them into a tin heart shaped candy box left over from Valentine's Day (ghiradelli!) lol...
Wow, a beautiful recycled box, too. That's pretty cool!

Wow, a beautiful recycled box, too. That's pretty cool!

There was a second hand place in TN that had a lot of tin boxes. I had several and still do, that I store things in. But when I moved, I let a lot of them go. Too much stuff.

Forum List

Back