Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

I love this quilt found at Etsy:

il_570xN.834286936_ixai.jpg

Ok revving up the sewing machines again.

I have two quilts I've been working on for years (one of them for about 10 years lolol) that I have to finish. I have a friend with a quilt shop, I'm giving those to her to finish...while I start on some baby blankets. My best friend's daughter is having a baby in July!
I'd love to see them, koshergrl. Hope you are forgiven, whatever it is you said, and will be back sometime soon. Matybe you'll finish those two quilts up and bring them back when that day comes. My prayers for whatever trouble you got into, and hope you avoid losing your posting privileges in those steamy situations every one of us has gotten into at one time or another.:huddle:

Okay, okay, I got meself in a little trouble out their on Ms. Emily's thread. I pledged to do a little quilt top for a little immigrant border crossing baby. 'Cause though I hate it, I also love innocent babies who didn't do anything but be born when they got here, in spite of my politics. So I found a little quilt top in Mexican Flag colors for this little break with sanity of mine, and here's one I found: Hope someone out there can correct me if I'm wrong to say the Mexican Flag colors may be pink and green...

th

I pray I can finish the project before the cold weather sets in and the recipient gets one as close to this one as I can do. It will have to be a receiving blanket in side, so it looks like I will need 35 - 5.5" squares of foundation fabrics to lay the strips on before quilting. If I stick to the looks of the above quilt, I will need a 25" by 35" batting, but that's awful small. a 4" outside border would make it need a 33 by 40" batt, but that's a little short. okay, I have to add 5 more squares to the 35 already thought of. That'd make it 40 inches long before the border and about 47" long, so there'd be a little room for growth. I have a lot of green and a lot of pink scraps. Cheery-o, I have a date with myself to go to quilter's hog heaven. :2up:

Why did koshergrl get banned?
I don't know, Natural Citizen.Welcome to humble quilt website. I started it some years back, long enough so a lot of the links no longer work for one reason or another. So, I just had a need for this thread again while I fulfill a promise to Ms. Emily that I would spend a little more time making quilts for refugees from Mexico, and all of them will be in Mexico flag colors so their parents will feel at home. I'm a conservative but I have a heart for the unborn and the courageous women who would break a law or two to bring one into the world of human beings, as deficient as it may be. I think God expects us to live and let live; and forgive offenses before the sun sets every day. It's complicated. In the meantime, I have become a senior citizen and I'm here to tell you it's not easy to live by yourself after 44 years of having the privilege of being married to such a wonderful guy as my dearly departed husband. *sigh*

ok, I found another pink and green quilt that might be easier to sew than the one a few posts above, but it is pleasing at least to my eye.
Found this in the search engine before I got here by loading "pink and green baby quilts" into the search box, and Bing! has a feature that you can look for images only, which I employed. So, voila:
il_570xN.45289788.jpg

Okay, okay, I got meself in a little trouble out their on Ms. Emily's thread. I pledged to do a little quilt top for a little immigrant border crossing baby. 'Cause though I hate it, I also love innocent babies who didn't do anything but be born when they got here, in spite of my politics. So I found a little quilt top in Mexican Flag colors for this little break with sanity of mine, and here's one I found: Hope someone out there can correct me if I'm wrong to say the Mexican Flag colors may be pink and green...

th

I pray I can finish the project before the cold weather sets in and the recipient gets one as close to this one as I can do. It will have to be a receiving blanket in side, so it looks like I will need 35 - 5.5" squares of foundation fabrics to lay the strips on before quilting. If I stick to the looks of the above quilt, I will need a 25" by 35" batting, but that's awful small. a 4" outside border would make it need a 33 by 40" batt, but that's a little short. okay, I have to add 5 more squares to the 35 already thought of. That'd make it 40 inches long before the border and about 47" long, so there'd be a little room for growth. I have a lot of green and a lot of pink scraps. Cheery-o, I have a date with myself to go to quilter's hog heaven. :2up:
I need to stay focused on the quilt above ^. Even so, I found other pink and green cuties, although I put the sewing machine in another room after getting a new computer and placing it where the sewing machine was. So many things to do. So little time and space. Here's today's online find. I really need to take a day off and have some sewing fun.

th

Quilting is so much fun!

th

Well, darn it. I got an invite to breakfast by a friend who had chemo yesterday & wanted a ride and my company at IHOP. Then I had some needs for the car, so it was off to WalMart and the Dollar Tree. lol. That took up my whole morning, not to mention my visit to the Iron Works where I walked 3 miles on a machine and rowed for half an hour. When I got home, I noticed I had neglected to mow the back yard and out in the southwest pasture where the live oak tree spreads over half an acre, and it just looks prettier when it's cut. So here it is half past four o'clock, after mowing and cleaning up after, 4 hours past lunch time. Guess I will have to have my nap after lunch. When will I ever get started on the pink and green quilt? I have no excuses, really. I just chose to do other things, and now my old feet hurt, too, probably from my little overdoing it at the Iron Works. Well, I'm gonna at least go find one more pretty little baby quilt in pink and green and post it before eating. *sigh*

th
th
upload_2018-10-3_16-37-18.jpeg

th
th
th

Ok, Which picture is not a quilt? :muahaha:

Completed a small log cabin quilt that was already started (with 28 log cabin starts). I made green rings around some pink centers and-multi fabric rows 2-5 then the greens, rows 6,7,8 and 9; then the outer rows 10, 11, 12, and 13. The number of pieces sewn is 13x28 or 84 + 280 = 364 pieces. After all that work, I sewed the squares together, 4 across and 7 down. Each square of 13 pieces is 7.5x7.5 inches square, and after taking away seam allowances the quilt currently measures 28.5" by 49.5". The borders will make it somewhat bigger. That's for another day. Wish I had a camera and the scanner set up. Oh, well next week, maybe. I had to go to the quilt store to retrieve some more greens, because the half yard I had of a cute green print would fall short of the 28 green rows 6, 7, 8 and 9. I'll see if I can find a like quilt square somewhere. I'm pretty certain nobody's done my little log quilt. The border will have to be pink, because ^ I've been thinking pink and green all week. Unfortunately, this one falls short because of the multiple colored fabrics used in rows 2,3,4, and 5 and rows 10,11,12,and 13. The cute pink and green print dominated in assorted lime greens to the dullish side, so I went with 2 more lime greenish prints, not near so interesting as the one that was started first from material I had on hand.

Here's a similar square, sort of, but not exactly, since the maker really went all-out with cute centers and a border that is dynamite.

xcourthouse-steps-baby-quilt.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UVY4l8wZ1D.jpg

Someone has cleverly taken a log cabin form called "Steps to the Whitehouse" and used the steps as a frame around cute little critters children will surely love forever.

This shows the 13 "rows" I mentioned above.

th

I work in numerical order just like the above, except 1-5 are scrap with 1 being hot pink.6,7,8 and 9 are light lime greens Outer rows are scrappy like 2-5. The only "row" consistently the same (pink, in my little whitehouse steps quilt) is row 1.

\

Last edited:
Some 'Splainin' about Courthouse Steps:
Example 1.​
This is a very wonderful courthouse steps style done in the tiniest strips:
th
Notice that it divides into lights on the two sides and contrasts with darker strips on top and bottom. It has 29 pieces and if each strip row is made with 1/2 inch width strips that started out from one-inch strips that have a 1/4 inch seam allowance, thus all that shows is a half inch plus whatever the length is, row after row.

This is another amazing work effort, except this time it is very scrappy and doesn't cotton to lights and darks being separated, but they are possibly stacked randomly and sewn the same way. Notice that each row that is opposite the same length piece, they are the same color. Back when, that's almost always the way courthouse steps were fashioned.

Example 2
th

The squares below resemble my quilt's size and number of rows (13, including the center), and yes, I line my squares out to make sure they look okay. Placing squares till they look right took me about an hour with 28 squares. Mine doesn't look like this group because there is no light nor dark side, but mine are arranged "Steps-to-the Whitehouse" style, not courthouse steps

Example 3

IMG_2384.JPG

Finally! A steps to the White House alignment (basic) is below:

Example 4a and 4b
th
th

And here's a Steps to the Whitehouse quilt:
Example 5
th

The difference in 13 rows and rows is hard to explain. Here is another oversized example of a steps-to-the-whitehouse, except this one has only 5 rows

Example 6
upload_2018-10-6_22-15-24.jpeg

Well, guess I have to get a camera, but I have to wait. I am learning how to do everything by myself, since my husband's long illness and passing away 2 years ago. I must be the most spoiled, pampered wife who loved being spoiled. I'm beginning to understand the words, "It's a zoo out there."

Here's a lifted glass to all those out there who was ever spoiled by one's spouse, unless I was the only one... :coffee:

Finished my quilt borders. But I'm so spoiled. My dearly departed husband used to take pictures of my quilts, helped me set up the now-decrepit printer. I bought a new printer, but it's one of those wireless things, and so far, I have done everything wrong there is to be done wrong on my new computer except to come here...

It has a green stripett border, 1" and a deep-to-lights pink marbled vine print on the outer border. The "Steps to the "Whitehouse" blocks on my quilt are arranged in descending order. I didn't have enough of the one print to complete all the blocks the same, so I found 2 other chartrusey green prints that made do, which means I had to arrange the blocks into a different schema than total random. Now they're what we call random but controlled in quilterspeak. I love the quilt, though, especially when the pink and green popped the green log cabin centers and the chartruse-to-lime green steps in the 6, 7, 8, 9 rows (which circle the square into Whitehouse Steps mode).

Forum List

Back