Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

The quilt shows pennants. I was wondering if anyone ever did a pennant quilt pattern a few years back. You could actually take your favorite team's pennant in team colors with school name on one, mascot or your own design of a logo on another, mascot name on one, etc. If a University, better check with the University attorney for permission to do that for your personal purpose. Some Universitiesdonot cotton to that. Oops, sorry for the sticking keys, but my lastextension is over city. *hugs*

Oh, yes, and good luck on finding a good quilting frame, koshergrl. John Flynn is a great guy, and so are all his quilts and products. He and his wife do a lot of quilting, books, templates, and really cool quilt accessories like frames etc. He gets a thumbs up from his old Wyoming neighbor who owns Prism Quilts in the Oil Capital of Casper, albeit from afar from my retirement in another state. :)

The quilt shows pennants. I was wondering if anyone ever did a pennant quilt pattern a few years back. You could actually take your favorite team's pennant in team colors with school name on one, mascot or your own design of a logo on another, mascot name on one, etc. If a University, better check with the University attorney for permission to do that for your personal purpose. Some Universitiesdonot cotton to that. Oops, sorry for the sticking keys, but my lastextension is over city. *hugs*
Missouri Quilt Company did something with penants...

Oh, yes, and good luck on finding a good quilting frame, koshergrl. John Flynn is a great guy, and so are all his quilts and products. He and his wife do a lot of quilting, books, templates, and really cool quilt accessories like frames etc. He gets a thumbs up from his old Wyoming neighbor who owns Prism Quilts in the Oil Capital of Casper, albeit from afar from my retirement in another state. :)
Awesome, that might be a gift for myself.

I just finished a bunch of red and yellow log cabin quilt squares--63 or 64 of them, likely (give or take a block). The only thing I could find online like my blocks were these brighter ones at "Bee in My Bonnet Quilting" online. Hers are much brighter, because mine were scraps from my stash, which spans all available yellows and reds from 1967-2015, which dates back to my first and second to the last quilts. (I completed one on Jan. 2, 2016). Here's her much more joyous photo (and if it is not shared, I will leave the address, which means you will have to scroll down umpteen photos to see it unless she removes it.) her blog is here: Bee In My Bonnet: Quilting Retreat at Aspen Grove...

aspen+grove+293.JPG

Another flying geese quilt is on this page: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/185914290842191174/

My slightly duller red and yellow blocks may be arranged in this manner with yellow or something in between. It might be fun just to make the flying geese "float" on a buttermilk sky of yellow odds and ends collected over the years (we're talking 300 different bright to moderate yellow fabrics.) That does it. One of these days, I have to go back online.

/muttering to self under breath with a "yeah, right" being thought. I can only think, not speak at the library computer room. It's a nice place here. They eveh provide head sets if you want to listen to something. Haven't even thought of putting them on, though. With fibromyalgia, you have no immune system to speak of, and flu is going around...

Oh, I found a yellow and red pineapple quilt that goes back a couple of centuries. It's only 2 colors, and done in wool, and was in the RMSC Collection museum at [RMSC Collections & Research] Quilt Project - Pineapple Log Cabin Quilt (53.105.1) . All their quilts are indexed and linked here: [RMSC Collections & Research] Quilt Project

They open with this information about their stuff:
"The Rochester Museum & Science Center currently houses a remarkable collection of nearly 300 quilts, including complete quilts, quilt tops, and quilted household accessories. A small percentage of the quilts are non-local, but most are from Western New York and the Genesee Valley Region, rendering it one of the largest and most significant regional collections in the country.

All types and techniques are represented, the majority being handsewn piecework. The dates of manufacture of quilts in the collection range from before 1820 to the mid-twentieth century, with the largest percentage dating to between 1821 and 1900."

53-105-1.jpg

Another flying geese quilt is on this page: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/185914290842191174/

My slightly duller red and yellow blocks may be arranged in this manner with yellow or something in between. It might be fun just to make the flying geese "float" on a buttermilk sky of yellow odds and ends collected over the years (we're talking 300 different bright to moderate yellow fabrics.) That does it. One of these days, I have to go back online.

/muttering to self under breath with a "yeah, right" being thought. I can only think, not speak at the library computer room. It's a nice place here. They eveh provide head sets if you want to listen to something. Haven't even thought of putting them on, though. With fibromyalgia, you have no immune system to speak of, and flu is going around...

Oh, I found a yellow and red pineapple quilt that goes back a couple of centuries. It's only 2 colors, and done in wool, and was in the RMSC Collection museum at [RMSC Collections & Research] Quilt Project - Pineapple Log Cabin Quilt (53.105.1) . All their quilts are indexed and linked here: [RMSC Collections & Research] Quilt Project

"The Rochester Museum & Science Center currently houses a remarkable collection of nearly 300 quilts, including complete quilts, quilt tops, and quilted household accessories. A small percentage of the quilts are non-local, but most are from Western New York and the Genesee Valley Region, rendering it one of the largest and most significant regional collections in the country.

All types and techniques are represented, the majority being handsewn piecework. The dates of manufacture of quilts in the collection range from before 1820 to the mid-twentieth century, with the largest percentage dating to between 1821 and 1900."

53-105-1.jpg
My sister has an heirloom quilt, handstitched by her husband's great aunt and someone else in that pattern...I have posted pics of it before. It's lovely.

Well, I finally found this sorta image of a flying geese done in log cabin blocks, but they're not in my colors nor alignment into rows like a flying geese quilt is.

It took all morning! lol

9455394624_3528dd0b35.jpg

The lady who did this is here: Cut to Pieces: September 2013
She is adventurous does really cool stuff.​

53-105-1.jpg
My sister has an heirloom quilt, handstitched by her husband's great aunt and someone else in that pattern...I have posted pics of it before. It's lovely.
Thanks, Koshergrl. Glad to see you around this little block party. :D

Have to go now and do that little quilt. I finished one Charity quilt Jan 2, and this one will get done when it gets done. I just wanted to make sure I had found SOMETHING like what I'm doing out there, but the one I found disappeared after I forgot to renew my minutes at the library computer. Maybe it's best this way. *sigh*

Love to all and wondering what happened to dear Mr. H. who used to visit us with his inspiration from time to time in past years... Well, a big hug to all. :huddle:

Flying Geese 1 Floating on Buttermilk Sky.jpg
Flying Geese 2 Floating on Buttermilk Sky.jpg

These are some of the blocks I made. After nearly a year and a half, I had to do some driven reeducation on my scanner, filing the scans, and uploading as all seems a bit different here and USMB still allows you to do fun stuff. I'm especially grateful that Koshergrl uploaded some pictures she just took. I started the red/yellow squares 2 days ago, and completed all 64 of the blocks that were started yesterday. This morning, I sewed 14 blocks for the first vertical row of flying geese, log cabin style. They will float on buttermilk skies... although some of the yellows are 30's "screamin' yellow" in brightness. :D
Flying Geese 3 Floating on Buttermilk Sky.jpg

Also, when the quilt top is completed, it will go to the Charity Bees chapter of the Tall Pines Quilt Guild here. At our library, I can download from my old computer from the Friends Internet Café herein. You can probably do it from equipment in the library's computer lab, which I usually use. Don't know how it happened, but I'm all by myself at the free use Friends Café area. It's real quiet. :woohoo:

Last edited:
2016 .1a becki potholder.jpg 2016.1b becki potholder.jpg 2016.2a becki potholder.jpg

The 84-block quilt is almost a top now. All that needs to be done is to make a decision on its border, and a label that states its silly name, "Red Log Cabin Flying Geese Floating on Buttermilk Skies." :woohoo:

Also, I finally got around to copying back and front of several of the 16-hour potholders I make and sell for well under a dollar an hour for my time at the local quilt guild's annual fall fundraiser.

Attachments

• 2016.2b becki potholder.jpg
    2016.2b becki potholder.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 219
2016.3a becki potholder.jpg 2016.4a becki  potholder.jpg 2016.5a becki  potholder.jpg 2016.6a becki  potholder.jpg 2016.7a becki  potholder.jpg 2016.8a becki  potholder.jpg Some more potholders, some of which were made following last year's fall sale for giving scholarships to young ladies going to SHSU, a nearby University, and other community benefits. These will be given to the sale Fall, 2015, unless something comes up sooner. I worked on another purple one today and will post pictures of that one later on.

Might as well show off the backs, although I picked the "front" to be the one I liked best at the time. Our mothers always did their fancy potholders in white on the backs, or other solid color. The only trouble with the ones in our home was my mother was so artistic, she made them for show. How did she ever wind up with such a pragmatic daughter who thought potholders should protect the fingers first and be pretty second? *sigh*
2016.3b becki potholder.jpg 2016.4b becki  potholder.jpg 2016.5b becki  potholder.jpg 2016.6b becki  potholder.jpg 2016.7b becki  potholder.jpg 2016.8b becki  potholder.jpg

I'm crocheting some homely edging onto dollar store kitchen towels now...my sis was here over Christmas and zi couldn't find any towels (we moved in November) so I pick up towels every time I'm out.

I haven't done any quilting recently and I feel bad...but I'm working on my sons quilt top and have about ten blocks to go out of 42. I was going to fancy them up and got and rearrange the blocks into a more comlicated one but I decided to just stick with the first hourglass block...it will be finished faster, and be a little bigger for their big bed..then I can move on.
WP_20160130_012.jpg

Snoop loves my terribly cluttered sewing room, if there's a box he will sleep on whatever is in it or sometimes he rummages through everything and leaves everything strewn around. I splurged on nice batting, wool blend, for the kids's quilt. He tore the ends off of the bag and pulled out a few tufts. He does the same thing to poor teddy bears....chews their ears removes she's and nose and pulls some...not all...of the stuffing out
WP_20160130_008.jpg

I'm a terrible protester. So a call went out for "we need flags at (such and such location)" and I naturally assumed they needed people to MAKE flags so they could carry them hahahahaha. When really they were calling for people WITH flags to show up and wave them.

I'm such a granny nerd. I learn fast, though.

I sort of want to try my hand at making a flag now.

Ok revving up the sewing machines again.

I have two quilts I've been working on for years (one of them for about 10 years lolol) that I have to finish. I have a friend with a quilt shop, I'm giving those to her to finish...while I start on some baby blankets. My best friend's daughter is having a baby in July!

Forum List

Back