Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Finished a purple log cabin quilt--all in deep purples, too. I found this as something close to what I did, but this one is somewhat lighter.

2013+rsc+purple+log+cabin.jpg

And yet more...this one intrigues me, because instead of complete encirclement of a square, the sashing on this one is like one per square, offset:
0f94e8d8a89089f14af840731a8b0564.jpg

Vive le difference!
The fun thing about creating a new quilt is that nothing has to matter all that much except perhaps a little inconsistency in its consistent path. :muahaha:

Nah, I was just trolling "beautiful quilts" on my bing search engine. Bing opens a lot of doors when you press "images" before you start your search for today's "beautiful quilts" or "purple quilts" or whatever. I really need to get my little new scanner/printer up and put some of my squares on it. I make 4 or 5 quilt tops every month for the charity bees. I've always used this thread at USMB to be my springboard for making scrap quilts some little recipient could cherish since many of them are fatherless children who are born to a single parent. I feel sad they did not have a large, loving family because many parents will disown a daughter who has a baby but whose boyfriend is disinterested in marriage or is already married to somebody else or has hatred for children and will never marry. Freedom has strange consequences, and fatherless kids pay the price of feeling rootless. No kid deserves that. People have thrown away their family ties and church or have been thrown away. The nation pays a price for this peculiar attempt to protect privacy, make one parent responsible, usually the female, who may harbor angst toward being jilted by a jerk who thinks only of his own pleasure and not its result. It's all I can do as a remedy which in no way alleviates the child's paradigm of the lovelessness of one or both natural parents who regard him so mercilessly. A quilt ain't much to hang onto, but it's better than nothing on a winter's night when the child lies there wondering who he is and why he's missing a parent who participated in his being. As Emily Dickenson wrote in her papers found after her death, "If I can heal one heart the aching, I shall not have lived in vain."

Yesterday, I really screwed up. I had this old partially-done quilt top in maritime fabrics so beautiful they could win a landlubber's heart. The center had a pale batik fabric that was longing to have a sailing ship of yore embroidered on it, so I spent weeks trolling ebay for an iron transfer pattern, and finally located one of a beautiful sailing ship, just about the right size for the center. With all the joy of a long wait come true, I proceeded to iron the transfer on, emphasis on the excitement of getting something done that had sat there on the table for a couple of years as I had mourned the death of my husband of 44 years. Well, when the last piece was pressed hard against the ironing board surface and completed, I picked it up to look at how wonderful it was going to be. Alas, I had ironed the permanent ink on sideways to the carefully pieced one-way fabric schemas that showed boats, sea fish, and boat equipment motifs that were 90 degrees off (sideways) from the permanent image I had so carefully and diligently spent half an hour fussing over and pressing to perfection. How do you say "boohoo?" :icon_rolleyes:

Well, I will have to remove the center from its mooring in the middle of the one-way fabrics, turn it 90 degrees, cut it to fit the ship that was so blithely and carelessly pressed on looks centered, then find a contrast fabric from the light batik background that was so perfectly surrounded by north, south, east and west one-way fabrics. The new background will require more fabric that is a bridge between the most beautiful maritime fabrics I ever saw, spanning 30 years of collecting beautiful fabrics for the future when they would join forces to bring about the most unique sea quilt ever sewn, and this time, make sure the flag is at the top with sky above and sea critters below the surface of the water. *giggle*

And a note to myself that will soon be forgotten, "look before you leap, because eyes may be totally blinded by the joy of the doing of this project."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back