Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Found this one just now online. It looks like the maker had a lot of men's ties to work into the blades of the fan quilt:

ed54fc4c1fe9d27c11c4d7830479abf5--memory-quilts-men-ties.jpg

I had a box of ties after my husband died a couple of years ago, but not sure where I put them. hmmm.
I just love this quilt's everything-about-it.

Last night, a couple more logs (60x2=120) were added. I got in bed by 9:30 and slept like a rock for a change. :) Can't wait to get started again this morning.
Am so far working this block, and the two rows were 8 and 9 (4 1/2" and 5 1/2", respectively). Now, I have to do logs 10 and ll in lights, or 5 1/2" and 6 1/2" logs:
th

Mine may not be as pretty as the ones pictured above, because I added some blacks and browns to the mix, also navy on dark logs 8 and 9. I always like to do the last two darks really dark, so I have my rotary cutter handy to do all that today or tomorrow, depending on how much time I can spend on them providing I can control the swelling. My friendly certified homeopathic advisers said I might need to elevate my legs twice a day from now on, which means 2 short power naps, one in the am and one after noon. Darn it, I hate to nap all the time. The light at the end of the tunnel is that this time, If I do take my meds 4 times a day, the adrenal issue will disappear after a couple of weeks. I didn't know that, and had only been taking the adrenal support tablets once a day here to fore. It sure beats surgery to the arteries if it works, and I think it likely will. I just went about doing it all wrong for several months. Doh! Better late than never, though. I've been elevating at night for several weeks and that really helps the morning be clear for working at my sewing desk. Old age is not for sissies! (And I seem to be quite a sissy! lol)

Have some blocks almost like these, which could be the NEXT log cabin (or courthouse steps)

(I love all the possibilities from others who are kind enough to show their stuff online)
This quilt was said to be a hundred years old. If that is accurate, you can bet it is all cotton.
Well all 60 squares are done after putting the pedal to the metal on the sewing machine this morning! Also, got 2 windmill blocks by joining 4 blocks together in clockwise appearance. the 60 squares/4 = 15 windmill blocks. Four are below, but the colors here are black and white; mine are all colors, divided only by light and dark sides:

th

Landscape quilt books I found today..

th

Cathy Geier's Quilty Art Blog: Preview my Book - Lovely Landscape Quilts
th
th
th

th
th
th
th

th
upload_2019-4-13_11-15-12.jpeg
th

This is only one topic of thousands in the quiltmaker's world.
Some of these books are no longer in print, but you may try amazon, or ebay, or your favorite
online or used bookstore outlet. There are a lot more book sales online, I'm sure, but I truly never went anywhere except for Marti Michelle's page for great templates and quilts to make with them and through various sales sources available to me as a quilt store owner. anyway, the above books sure have pretty quilts in them as evidenced by their covers. Sometimes amazon has a "peek inside" feature on newer books such that you can see some of the ideas you will be enjoying in the book. A book fits by a sewing machine much easier than a computer, unless you're a smartie and have a wall-style monitor and a spare drawer to put the keyboard in. :)

I have to say, it's been a little while since I worked on a quilt, 2 days ago, maybe. Think I will see if I can find something pink, the lighter the better. :brb9:
Loaded "Pale pink quilt, found some pink quilts of lighter than the hot pink cuties, but they're brighter than my fabric choices:
5c727962dba5391c3d9e3460b8bed5c4.jpg

^^^I see they used both log style and courthouse step style log cabins. too cute^^^

And here's one (*below)arranged as fields and furrows

Front5.jpg

one I've done about 50 squares for so far is shaded like ^^^ but my colors are so dispersed you cannot see rows as above

Below is a quilt that has white areas, and the pink areas are far brighter than my pale pink collection
although the solid squares are dispersive. I have quit using large squares in the center as below, also.
ba33869dae3aa1cb1ea90e3a76445de7--log-cabin-quilts-log-cabin-heart-quilt-pattern.jpg

It was a pretty good day. I finished the little pink quilt and bordered it twice. It measures around 33"x41" and is ready to baste, quilt, and bind. I only produced 2 last Tuesday for the gals to quilt in my guild, so the third Tuesday next time, I'd like to have quite a few tops done up. Meanwhile, I'm quilting one the hard way, but put it aside to do some tops for others. It just takes a long time to quilt a quilt for a kid who is around 12 years old, and you want to make sure it's big enough to carry him through his college dorm years. The younger ones don't need big quilts, they just need something that will cover them with some lap room for when Mommy takes him or her shopping on a blustery, cool day. They also need to be absorbent and easy to clean, so I make them of all cotton, use cotton thread and cotton batting. You can boil an all-cotton quilt if it becomes contaminated with body products from both ends. That is why I make them all cotton. It can be sanitized. Polys, whether melting threads or quiltmaker thin can turn crisp under an iron and result in being an uncomfortable, often unsightly thing as it ages and is put through too hot of water or too high a dryer temp. Sometimes you have to be sure a quilt does not carry a childhood disease or worse. Exposure can demand a boiling of bedding. It's just that simple.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to have gotten one assembled from squares already done, and somewhere I have a stack of blue ones, too that can make a nice little boy's quilt, needless to mention, there's enough squares from the pink to make a dorm-sized child's quilt for a cot or bunk bed. Now, it just takes the staying-with-it courage to complete the items necessary for recruiting community quilters to get Aids baby Hugs quilts for newborns who are born with the disease, or just to give a mommy who doesn't have a man to care for her and the baby. It's sad that young men do not step up to the plate of their responsibilities, but they're often worried that their burger-flipping job won't be enough to raise a child on, or whatever makes them run the other way, leaving the girlfriend to make her own way in the world without his help. The consequences of living free are being certain ahead of time you're not creating an 18-year ball and chain to raise a kid who has both parents. The real headache for the child is when he or she has nobody and is placed in child protective services. Living in a college town means some of the adults have to double down to assist young parents who do care for their child. I just make them as good as I can, hoping that I've chosen good border colors to enhance all that work done to put a dozen or so log cabin quilt squares, each of which has 25 or more logs in it for a square that finishes 7".

Today, I felt a little sorry for our nation, prayers had gone unanswered for peace, plus, my cough, while better has been hanging on. So, to clear my mind, I went to the sewing room and found some red log cabin starts, but only two of them were completed 7" squares, six were at the 3-4" stage and were probably just sitting in the stack for a couple of years. There's been a lot of transferring fabric and unfinished starts back and forth lately, so I just took the red squares and went to the light colored box where strips of lights are kept, and there were also some red starts at the 3" stage, so I took just enough to make 24 squares and thought that would be fine to do a quilt with 16 squares like the pink one finished yesterday or the day before. So I started working and decided the last Tuesday meeting, our chairperson said we needed small hugs quilts big time. So, I thought I could make 12 of the squares into something for a newborn hugs baby. And it was time to make a boy quilt, so I decided I'd make them into a window pane with the yard of blue checkerboard that was kind of natty. It took only half a day, my outlook improved, and when I got back to the news, noticed there might be some mending of fences between the parties in our country, and one of the nuclear bad boys who decided to be uncooperative and left to get propped up by a country he figured we were not friendly with. Eggs in a basket sure do shift around. lol Anyway, at least the prayers helped me stay focused on a project for God's little children, and next month, I'll have a few tops to be finished again. I lost mailing addresses of other groups who might need quilts, so got frustrated and took all I had back down to the quilt closet without a word. I'll just have to hope the right thing is done to disperse the quilts to truly needy children. With a burgeoning university in our once small town, there seem to be a lot of fatherless babies who have only a mother who refused to abort her child. Bless the Lord for bringing children to us, and may he strengthen us to help them out as we are able.

Wonder if I can find a quilt moderately like the one I just found. It may be too big, too small, or too something else, but I'll try to find a patriotic one like this one. I can complain about the differences later. :D

Oh, my. Nothing at all anything alike the one I made but a lot of inspirational things to share below:

th
th

th
th

th
th

Some more log cabins not like the one I finished earlier this evening:

Well, what do you know this one is way too big (whine) has no sashing whatever,. (whine, whine)
:boohoo:and it is not red and lights with dark blue pretty sashes that look like a windowpane, (whine, whine, whine) :boohoo:
th

:boohoo:Even with all the differences, this one has 48 not 12 squares, and it is arranged like the one I made sans windowpanes.:boohoo:

th
th
th

th
th

These quilts are greatly reduced in size by the photographs

Today, I was improving my little wishful thinking pictures and found some really pretty hexagonal quilts made by other people online. So, I'll share a few that were just lucky finds. Enjoy! :)
Hexagon-based quilts
upload_2019-4-28_19-14-39.png

The graphics of this quilt top are just fun. When we first started
making quilts, it was of necessity to help family members survive severe winters,
and every scrap of anything work-out (with good areas left, of course), old curtains,
unweathered shirt parts, blue jeans, the works were used front and back.
This one--dunno. It's stunning to me, and is called "mosaic".
upload_2019-4-28_19-20-46.png

Forum List

Back