Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

PassionatePurple.jpg

That's some very lovely work indeed becki. I can see why you design, you've got a good eye.
Thannks, UKRider. It's fun to see what other people are doing and how much harder their choices must be. I know what gets done here has to get done in 3 to 4 days, so I try to remember the marching rule of thumb: straight lines can be impressive to a judges' eye. So although simple, the charity quilts made at factory speed can be a joy to the eye if you keep your lines straight and true. When my charity works are done, someday, I'd like to just do the designs I've started. Fortunately, I lost about 100 of them when I lost my little graph notebook last year. Hahaha! I lost all that work I did in restaurants waiting for a meal, so took the minutes and used them to design small animal quilts. I keep hoping it will turn up around here some day, and that keeps not happening, so no telling where it got left, or fell to the floorboard in the car and got kicked out somewhere along the line, me nonthewiser. At least, now I don't have to feel bad, when I thumbed through that book, I was disappointed that doing something else made me not able to get back to the little animals. Somewhere a few dozen pages back, there is the design of a little elephant. That one was so much fun to do. No telling what the Bees decided to do with it, but I just hope it got a good home with a needy child. They need cute stuff in their lives, too, just like the cute things mothers provide them when possible. Enough of my prattle. The squares are almost done, then the animal squares have to be cut the same size and joined together. Hoping the borders will make the quilt. Everything's a square except for the designer cute big cat fabric found in a closet in a quilt shop where a lady put her frenetics in the closet and her color pallets on the shelves in the rooms of a house she turned into her quilt shop.

Thanks for kind words. I'll have to make a bicycle wheel quilt some time for a needy child one of these mornings and tell them an unknown rider inspired it!

That's some very lovely work indeed becki. I can see why you design, you've got a good eye.
Thannks, UKRider. It's fun to see what other people are doing and how much harder their choices must be. I know what gets done here has to get done in 3 to 4 days, so I try to remember the marching rule of thumb: straight lines can be impressive to a judges' eye. So although simple, the charity quilts made at factory speed can be a joy to the eye if you keep your lines straight and true. When my charity works are done, someday, I'd like to just do the designs I've started. Fortunately, I lost about 100 of them when I lost my little graph notebook last year. Hahaha! I lost all that work I did in restaurants waiting for a meal, so took the minutes and used them to design small animal quilts. I keep hoping it will turn up around here some day, and that keeps not happening, so no telling where it got left, or fell to the floorboard in the car and got kicked out somewhere along the line, me nonthewiser. At least, now I don't have to feel bad, when I thumbed through that book, I was disappointed that doing something else made me not able to get back to the little animals. Somewhere a few dozen pages back, there is the design of a little elephant. That one was so much fun to do. No telling what the Bees decided to do with it, but I just hope it got a good home with a needy child. They need cute stuff in their lives, too, just like the cute things mothers provide them when possible. Enough of my prattle. The squares are almost done, then the animal squares have to be cut the same size and joined together. Hoping the borders will make the quilt. Everything's a square except for the designer cute big cat fabric found in a closet in a quilt shop where a lady put her frenetics in the closet and her color pallets on the shelves in the rooms of a house she turned into her quilt shop.

Thanks for kind words. I'll have to make a bicycle wheel quilt some time for a needy child one of these mornings and tell them an unknown rider inspired it!

I think you've got your donating figured out just right. It's a straight line :) :clap2:

Thanks, UKR! :)

The "straight line" Safari Quilt is done! It's the 21st quilt since January 1, 2013. So good to be finished. :woohoo:

1/5 of last years goal would be done. The only goal this year is just to do a good job on whatever is done.

The border scans of the 44x64" kid-sized quilt top are below:

Attachments

• $4 Safari Big Cats Quilt top .jpg
    $4 Safari Big Cats Quilt top .jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 64
  • $5 Safari Big Cats Quilt Side.jpg
    $5 Safari Big Cats Quilt Side.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 61
  • $6 Safari Big Cats Quilt Top.jpg
    $6 Safari Big Cats Quilt Top.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 71
Thanks for kindly words, Foxfyre. :)

It's fun how when you go back to the bing! images search how you come up with new purple quilts in less than a week. I found 3 to die for...

First, "Purple Passion." Every life needs a little passion.... oh, my...

PassionatePurple.jpg

And this Purple Bargello quilt is definitely top drawer...

0001.JPG

And making this Stained Glass Quilt or one like it would rate a "deep and abiding satisfaction" feeling for the passion of making and completing it to the last piece of mortar joining odd bits of sparkling fabrics:

Purple%20Passion.JPG

You really are magnificent in you designs...you really should pick up a brush and do some Abstract paintings...Did I ever tell you, how much I love those Blues?

Thanks for kindly words, Foxfyre. :)

It's fun how when you go back to the bing! images search how you come up with new purple quilts in less than a week. I found 3 to die for...

First, "Purple Passion." Every life needs a little passion.... oh, my...

PassionatePurple.jpg

And this Purple Bargello quilt is definitely top drawer...

0001.JPG

And making this Stained Glass Quilt or one like it would rate a "deep and abiding satisfaction" feeling for the passion of making and completing it to the last piece of mortar joining odd bits of sparkling fabrics:

Purple%20Passion.JPG

You really are magnificent in you designs...you really should pick up a brush and do some Abstract paintings...Did I ever tell you, how much I love those Blues?
Thanks, pbel, but those three are from Bing! (a search engine of the internetnet.)
I've done Abstract paintings, but gave it up when oldest son was 18 months old. He used my oils to paint two of his three shirts. At that time, my mother sent me her old sewing machine, and I started sewing him clothes.

The oils got shelved and I tossed them 20 years later when they turned to brick. I never stopped sewing and can use a sewing machine as a thread painting device that appears as stitched pen-and-ink, and just about anything you could do with a brush.

My items are not shown here in the whole because I can't stand to take photographs. I bought a camera last year, but it's still in the mailing package from some ebay seller. My dearest husband has had dementia for 3 years and can't remember how to operate a camera. He used to take all my pictures. Friends can view some of my personal quilts from his better days in one of two albums on my public profile page.

Since this thread is for everyone to share their needlecrafts, I often bring quilts from other quilt artists online and show them here, often with links if they offer a free pattern.

Free motion embroidery and quilting are truly no different than operating a piece of art equipment such as an electric pottery wheel or an airbrush for some types of art. A skilled machine embroiderer can paint anything one who paints with watercolors, acrylics, or oils can. The only difference is, we can't "mix" paints to get the right color. We can align threads in such a way, though as to give off a color created by looking at the work from a greater distance than 6 feet. Unfortunately, people like to get up close and personal with embroideries, touch, feel, and scrutinize the stitches. I can't spend time doing that on the present course though. In order to do 100-120 quilt tops a year, it's a lot of hours. Today I already put in 10 hours before 4 in the afternoon. What I thought would only take a couple of hours took most of the morning, and all of my usual nap. Fortunately, my fever broke a couple of days ago, and every day I'm getting a little better. :)

Glad to see you here, pbel. Quilting is kind of the joy of my soul, whether it's simple naive work for shelter kids or making museum masterpieces that I leave in the hands of my children, who were grown and gone long ago. ;)

What is the term for art-like quilts that each piece is hand sewn to make a scene. Like an ocean scene but each piece from the waves to the palm fronds to the sand to the pebbles to the birds in the sky...all are individually hand sewn on? Not for a bed either. They hang on a wall, like a tapestry but they are not loomed. All hand cut and hand sewn.

I find them fascinating and would like to google some images but when I type in quilt patterns or quilt designs...I mostly get bed quilts.

What is the term for art-like quilts that each piece is hand sewn to make a scene. Like an ocean scene but each piece from the waves to the palm fronds to the sand to the pebbles to the birds in the sky...all are individually hand sewn on? Not for a bed either. They hang on a wall, like a tapestry but they are not loomed. All hand cut and hand sewn.

I find them fascinating and would like to google some images but when I type in quilt patterns or quilt designs...I mostly get bed quilts.
If the objects are sewn on from cotton percales, it could be called applique, of which there are a few dozen methods of applying fabric to a background.

If the objects are printed onto the fabric first (such as a peacock or a horse) then cut out a little larger than the printed animal, flower, tree, basket, etc. it is called "broderie perse." Some companies have made a living from creating picture fabrics that can be broderie persed, and occasionally, today's fabric makers will have designers make paneled fabrics or even objectify different species of flowers to be broderie persed into a floral arrangement of one's choosing.

So is that also trapunto?

I love this thread, it's so beautiful.

Happy news, my older kids got their apartment so my house is MUCH quieter these days...I'm digging out the projects (again haha)...

I'm going to have my daughter hel9p me put together basic 4-1/2 inch square 9-blocks. I chose that size because I think we'll progress faster...I have a lot of different materials, so it won't have a particular pattern, I'm not there yet, I just want to use up the material and make her a quilt as painlessly as possible.

So is that also trapunto?

I love this thread, it's so beautiful.

Happy news, my older kids got their apartment so my house is MUCH quieter these days...I'm digging out the projects (again haha)...
It's not trapunto. What you're seeing that looks "puffy" is a quilt that wasn't quilted enough for the type of batting they had in the eighteenth century when it was constructed. Back then, the furthest away quilting lines should be would have been under half an inch. However, it may have been a wedding quilt, made within a time parameter of a date, hastily with the thought a bride might destroy her first quilt through ignorance anyway. :lmao:

Although some may dispute it, but quilters are not stupid people, having learned through experience you cannot judge how a person is going to take care of a quilt until they have had 10 years to use it. A thousand hours into a quilt that gets bleached once a week to "sanitize" it when it was likely misused carelessly anyway is not fun to see as the rag it became 2 years later.

/soap box

I'm going to have my daughter hel9p me put together basic 4-1/2 inch square 9-blocks. I chose that size because I think we'll progress faster...I have a lot of different materials, so it won't have a particular pattern, I'm not there yet, I just want to use up the material and make her a quilt as painlessly as possible.
Coincidence! I started a 9-patch this morning in festive Irish Stonehenge (TM, Northcott Fabrics) to be put with Stonehenge pink 9-patch shamrock blooms! 8 of the blocks were finished before 9 am this morning. :)

One 9-patch Stonehenge shamrock square (It's a little too large for the scanner screen):

Attachments

• $Stonehenge Shamrock Quilt Top1.jpg
    $Stonehenge Shamrock Quilt Top1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 43
Years ago, there was a gal that ran the candy shop down from my store and it was a pretty good size piece, too. Each article in the "picture" she cut from a different piece of cloth. It was like an oil painting but instead of paint...it was fabric. It was amazing, and she worked on it every day for months. I never did see the finished results.

Growing up, my mother would not allow us to wash any of our quilts. In the old days, they would get laid out in the sun during the summer to kill dust mites, and then folded up into cedar chests until winter..

The lady who designs this type of applique owns Piece O' Cake trademark and spoke at our guild a couple of years back. Her work is twice as amazing if you see it in person at one of her lectures or classes. Phenomenon, these color-bright inspirers are! :) I'm not sure if it's her or a student, or another quilter who loves color as much as she. :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
Growing up, my mother would not allow us to wash any of our quilts. In the old days, they would get laid out in the sun during the summer to kill dust mites, and then folded up into cedar chests until winter..
She sounds like a very wise woman who taught her daughter some cool tricks about the care of quilts. :cool:

Coincidence! I started a 9-patch this morning in festive Irish Stonehenge (TM, Northcott Fabrics) to be put with Stonehenge pink 9-patch shamrock blooms! 8 of the blocks were finished before 9 am this morning. :)

One 9-patch Stonehenge shamrock square (It's a little too large for the scanner screen):

You're killing me. I think I may just have to go take some lessons and see if I can do a few things like this. I don't have a sewing machine, though. Still thinking of buying one, but am waiting until I get all this retirement stuff worked out. If it is meant to be it will come. Of course, I can always just piece them by hand the way my mother did.

I have some material put back to do a colorful 'yo yo' quilt. Was waiting until retirement on tha tone as well. May take that with me to the Gulf next winter. It can't be all sun and sand! LOL

PS I don't have enough rep spread around to give you more. But I'm trying!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back