Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Today, all 24 squares of A Clockwise double strip log cabin quilt top were completed, and the sashing color will be turquoise.

Here are 3 of the clockwise double log cabin squares:

Attachments

• $Double strip log cabin1.jpg
    $Double strip log cabin1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 63
  • $Double strip log cabin2.jpg
    $Double strip log cabin2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 51
  • $Double strip log cabin3.jpg
    $Double strip log cabin3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 49
Three more of the 24:

Attachments

• $Double strip log cabin4.jpg
    $Double strip log cabin4.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 54
  • $Double strip log cabin5.jpg
    $Double strip log cabin5.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 53
  • $Double strip log cabin6.jpg
    $Double strip log cabin6.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 51
And three more of the 24 squares completed today:

Now all that has to be done is sashings and borders. :)

Attachments

• $Double strip log cabin9.jpg
    $Double strip log cabin9.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 53
  • $Double strip log cabin8.jpg
    $Double strip log cabin8.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 56
  • $Double strip log cabin7.jpg
    $Double strip log cabin7.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 62
Quilt #19 for 2013 is done! :woohoo:

Attachments

• $10Double strip log cabin top border10.jpg
    $10Double strip log cabin top border10.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 44
  • $11Double strip log cabin side border11.jpg
    $11Double strip log cabin side border11.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 62
  • $12Double strip log cabin lower border12.jpg
    $12Double strip log cabin lower border12.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 53
Disclaimer: These quilts are from the web. I did not make any of them, I'm just wishful thinking this morning, planning to do something in purples...

One more quilt for February--thinking purple...

images

Last edited:
Disclaimer: these are not quilts made by me. I've made quilts like them, just not in purple. I'm trying to think of an easy quilt to do that can be done by the end of February. I am doing 10 tops per month for the Charity Bees of Tall Pines Quilt Guild, who raise funds for education, the shelter, and give quilts to the shelter, hospice, veterans, elder care centers, and hugs project. They quilt the tops and it is quite a task, I know. But after a lifetime of quilting, I can no longer stand at the machine and quilt due to issues associated with fibromyalgia that cause full-body cramps and acuity issues that are not in accordance with the operation of high-speed quilting machines. I'm happy, however, to make tops. That way, I can sew, rest, sew, take a nap, sew, etc. I know that sounds terrible, but it's better than the alternative of being useless. :rolleyes: So I still need inspiration and thank God for the internet for that purpose. I just need a quick-start purple quilt to fill out the color wheel for February and was looking.

Um, Purple Mountain's Majesty..with white mountains on top, must be the wintertime!

This one just caught my eye, but the last 3 quilt-as you go ideas wound up undone. :evil:

um, Lavender blue star. Well, it doesn't have to be on the blue side if you make it from scratch with purple...

Last edited:
Here's a one-patch purple postage stamp quilt:

dallas%2B003.jpg

And another that really gets the purple idea out there with strong purple border sets:

th

Handled right, this one would be quick and easy to do:

2011041104112011__02.jpg

Today did not go as planned. :evil:

The Charity Bees meeting was well underway, and a great class was offered by one of the local celebrity quilters on machine quilting with a walking foot. The Charity Bee girls had basted boucoup quilt tops for the occasion, and 25 ladies showed up to quilt mine and some of their own quilt tops. Tops 10-19 were delivered, 3 labels sewn to backs of quilts were done, and the sack in the back of the truck had a lovely piece of light purple quilt fabric in it to do a quick quilt.

The first thing done when home was to miscut 2 strips, which called to mind the need for a hearty nap. Four hours later, it was 4:30pm. And that's how the day went. :evil:

*sigh* Tomorrow is another day, and hopefully something can be done about a quick fix to making a purple quilt. Sorry, no pictures of progress this day. :(

There is, however, the possibility a quilt like this one may somehow be done as it seems to rock my soul:

th

Last edited:
This is cute. Sis in law made it for our daughter. The kid really likes owls so she incorporated some in the squares. I don't know how she did it, but she was able to transfer one of our daughter's owl drawings to fabric.

Attachments

• $quilt1.JPG
    $quilt1.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 55

dallas%2B003.jpg

And another that really gets the purple idea out there with strong purple border sets:

th

2011041104112011__02.jpg

So is the first one the postage stamp quilt? That's one of the ones that I remember my gramma always having...hers were made of true scraps...bits of wool and polyester clear from the 20s throught the 60s....with unbleached muslin batting and ticking for the backing. And that is the quilt that I want to build with my daughter, starting very soon...I plan on going through all my material shortly, start cutting the squares and putting her to work on 9-blocks.

Your sister-in-law is a keeper, Mr. H! Wonderful quilt! We had a quilter who worked with children in a school and each year would transfer their art to a quilt. I bet your daughter loves it! :)

dallas%2B003.jpg

th

2011041104112011__02.jpg

So is the first one the postage stamp quilt? That's one of the ones that I remember my gramma always having...hers were made of true scraps...bits of wool and polyester clear from the 20s throught the 60s....with unbleached muslin batting and ticking for the backing. And that is the quilt that I want to build with my daughter, starting very soon...I plan on going through all my material shortly, start cutting the squares and putting her to work on 9-blocks.
It is if the squares are approximately the size of a postage stamp. That would be 1.25" or smaller, imho. If it's finished 2" or more, we call it a 1-patch quit if blocks are assembled as above.

I collect cross stitch samplers, hoping to find one some day that I can do my 1.25" postage stamps into. My Texas map quilt is still unfinished because I lost my instruction book, which got buried downstairs in a fabric pile and I just didn't have a clue for a year since the stack got moved en masse, and I was none the wiser. Finally one day, I got serious about filing fabrics back to their bins, and it reappeared. By then, my zest for the quilt had vanished, and it sits there taking up space on my bulletin board. When I get back to it, I hope the book stays on my bed's bookshelf where it is now, so I will be able to find my chart. I did it all by division and transferrence of a regular state map proportionally to 1.25" squares to be 90x90 and figured out a border that might look halfway decent to make the quilt 90x108 with the state map showing on top. That was my hope. There just aren't good accurate charts out there that fit my particular postage stamp quilt size, and it's true, they won't be 100%, but they'll be representational of the approximate size of the state. I hope I never have someone walk up to me and say, "Hey, lady, my ranch is on the Red River, and you gave it to Oklahoma!" :rolleyes:

That would be terrible. :redface:

My mind boggles at the idea of piecing 1.25" squares of fabric.

I'm thinking 2-1/2" or mebbe even...dare I say it....4-1/2". I know, that's so depraved, but I know my limitations.

The director of my daughter's play found out that I sew and now I have been recruited to convert the pants of the telegrammers into knickerbockers....that should be interesting, lol.

Thank goodness there are only 5 of them.

I'm thinking 2-1/2" or mebbe even...dare I say it....4-1/2". I know, that's so depraved, but I know my limitations.
That is all some folks do, tiny pieces. They're very special people. I've only made about 4 or 5 of the large sized postage stamps, all 1.25". The really great ones are the ones that follow counted cross stitch patterns. See if I can locate one for a show and tell.

Here's one on ebay right now:

$T2eC16FHJGoE9nuQeVy(BRKoBIYqK!~~60_57.JPG

Credits

Today's progress was small, but fun. The gals at the meeting yesterday saw the double log cabin, and one of them made a big fuss about wanting to do one, so I gave her instructions, sort of, but you know, some quilters are bright people and catch on just by listening a little and taking notes. :)

So she got the important block dimensions, and hope the sky is the limit for her!

Here is the purple quilt I finally came up with to hopefully finish it before too much of March has passed. :D

Only did 4 blocks... but here they are.

Attachments

• $Purple Double strip log quilt1.jpg
    $Purple Double strip log quilt1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 34
  • $Purple Double strip log quilt2.jpg
    $Purple Double strip log quilt2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 39
  • $Purple Double strip log quilt3.jpg
    $Purple Double strip log quilt3.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 37

That is all some folks do, tiny pieces. They're very special people. I've only made about 4 or 5 of the large sized postage stamps, all 1.25". The really great ones are the ones that follow counted cross stitch patterns. See if I can locate one for a show and tell.

Here's one on ebay right now:

$T2eC16FHJGoE9nuQeVy(BRKoBIYqK!~~60_57.JPG

Credits

Oh my!!!!!!!!

I was hoping you'd like that koshergrl. They're some of my favorite quilts. :)

Oh, and the purple fabrics are calling! I got 7 of them cut, now it's time to sew.

Another thing the great white egrets returned today. The holly tree has grown, and their favorite place is hiding behind it. They usually leave about the time the sun is setting, anyway. I found another cache of purple fabrics today. Tomorrow will be an endless day of cutting, and my goal of 10 amounted only to 9 this time. I really dawdled along on a couple of quilt tops for some reason. Oh, yes. Cutting. It's such a pain in the butt. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back