Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Mine are/were exactly like the gold one you pictured. They keep that fantastic blade on them through the years, millions of snips later.

I'm about halfway through the cutting of strips for another Tall Ships quilt. This one will feature the "pink ribbon" fabric that was printed by Robert Kaufman a few years back, of which I carried in my shop back when, then just found a few scraps of to do "something" with later. It will be the hull and outer parameter of the sail unless I can't come up with enough pieces to do the hull. I sure will be upset for having a lot of pink strips cut if that happens. I knew it was going to be close, just not how close, and haven't gotten to the end of the cutting to find out, either. :rolleyes.

I'm loving it. Sweet pinks for sails and a tiny light blue with pink roses miniature print for the sky. The only thing I've sewn so far is the mast strip that will have a pieced mast. The striped red and black piece just didn't do it for me in the red and white quilt. I really got off on the yin-yang waves, though. Now we'll see how a consistent 1-inch square will do for the mast. The worst thing that could happen is I wouldn't like it, and would have to make yet another quilt. :lmao:

This quilt is getting to be fun. Will have to do more silly stuff and have a good time doing it with this pattern before I get tired of it. There's so many ideas to try out on it. :)

Well, it's back to the cutting table. Hope everyone is having a great time this weekend.

I'm about halfway through the cutting of strips for another Tall Ships quilt. This one will feature the "pink ribbon" fabric that was printed by Robert Kaufman a few years back, of which I carried in my shop back when, then just found a few scraps of to do "something" with later. It will be the hull and outer parameter of the sail unless I can't come up with enough pieces to do the hull. I sure will be upset for having a lot of pink strips cut if that happens. I knew it was going to be close, just not how close, and haven't gotten to the end of the cutting to find out, either. :rolleyes.

I'm loving it. Sweet pinks for sails and a tiny light blue with pink roses miniature print for the sky. The only thing I've sewn so far is the mast strip that will have a pieced mast. The striped red and black piece just didn't do it for me in the red and white quilt. I really got off on the yin-yang waves, though. Now we'll see how a consistent 1-inch square will do for the mast. The worst thing that could happen is I wouldn't like it, and would have to make yet another quilt. :lmao:

This quilt is getting to be fun. Will have to do more silly stuff and have a good time doing it with this pattern before I get tired of it. There's so many ideas to try out on it. :)

Well, it's back to the cutting table. Hope everyone is having a great time this weekend.

I really like the tall ships one. Maybe cuz I live near the water.

Thanks, Sunshine. Saturday, when I took the quilts down to the store, the girls really fussed over the quilts. If only I were a good photographer and could take pictures like my husband used to. One of these days! I got nothing done today while going on a mission to find out the scientific or any name, for that matter of the blue butterfly that intrigued me so much I decided to put it in place of the red and black one. Ultimately, I'm going to do a tall sailing ships quilt in the colors of this butterfly. Think it's a blue clipper, but not sure. I'm going to search. That was two hours of intensive work in which there are a lot of blue butterflies out there in the world of all kinds, if they haven't been killed off by us.

Thanks, Sunshine. Saturday, when I took the quilts down to the store, the girls really fussed over the quilts. If only I were a good photographer and could take pictures like my husband used to. One of these days! I got nothing done today while going on a mission to find out the scientific or any name, for that matter of the blue butterfly that intrigued me so much I decided to put it in place of the red and black one. Ultimately, I'm going to do a tall sailing ships quilt in the colors of this butterfly. Think it's a blue clipper, but not sure. I'm going to search. That was two hours of intensive work in which there are a lot of blue butterflies out there in the world of all kinds, if they haven't been killed off by us.

They make me think of the song Red Sails in the Sunset. This is the version I

remember:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwOpwhxn1wE]"Red Sails in the Sunset" The Platters - YouTube[/ame]

Oh how that song has been on my mind, too, Sunshine. I'll have to do a red sails one in your honor after this one and the blue one are done. I'm really into tall ships right now. They're totally fun. :)

(oh no not another pink and blue quilt!) :D

Yep, and I did mockups of the blue skies and sails early today, after cutting all afternoon and evening to get the majority of the squares cut. The only thing not cut at this point is half the hull and the yin yang waves.

Scan 1 is Sky, for which 19 blocks are needed for this version of the quilt

Scan 2 is a Sail, for which 17 blocks are needed on my schema (above or on preceding page as the case may be)

I already joined the mast row, and this time they were pieced. They will be shown as part of the whole, as they are just a 1.5" snake the horizontal width of the quilt top so far.

Attachments

• $1Good Ship Lollipop Sky Make 19.jpg
    $1Good Ship Lollipop Sky Make 19.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 65
  • $2Good Ship Lollipop Sail Make 17.jpg
    $2Good Ship Lollipop Sail Make 17.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 75
Oh how that song has been on my mind, too, Sunshine. I'll have to do a red sails one in your honor after this one and the blue one are done. I'm really into tall ships right now. They're totally fun. :)

I would like that. You never see any sailboats on the lake here where I live. I'm pretty far south, on the main channel, and the currents are rough. But up near the dam you will see sailboats out most every day. I see a lot of barges and tug boats - it is a commercial river, and occasionally I see a paddle wheeler. The leaves are coming on and the water will be mostly hidden but I'm just a few yards from it and can wade every day in the summer if I like!

I'm getting fabric ideas for red sails. It should be a lot of fun, sunshine. Earlier, I thought a week ago of just doing one in sunny colors in your honor, but red sails is going to be a pure pleasure.

Our oak tree out front had bare branches one day, and a flourish of lime green leaves the next! One of our oak trees here never loses its leaves, but they say it's a kind of oak that grows here, and that's what it does. :dunno:

Scan 3 - Hull squares, make 4

Scan 4 - Bow or stern block, make 2

Scan 5 - Front sail with mast below

Make 4 masts and join by sewing four 6.5"x1.5" sky strips and joining to 1.5" squares of the hot pink Join 4 deep with "masts" at back and two 7.5" strips located one over bow and one over stern.

If anyone is serious about making one of the tall ships for a beloved child or wheelchair soldier or senior, place your mouse's arrow over the thumbnail for information on what you are looking at. I could do a dozen of these and not be tired of them, and do a dozen more. They're flat out fun to do. :woohoo:

Attachments

• $3Tall Ship Lollipop Hull Make 4.jpg
    $3Tall Ship Lollipop Hull Make 4.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 66
  • $4Tall Ship Lollipop Bow and Stern Make 2.jpg
    $4Tall Ship Lollipop Bow and Stern Make 2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 68
  • $5Tall Ship Lollipop Front Sail with Mast, Sky, Hull.jpg
    $5Tall Ship Lollipop Front Sail with Mast, Sky, Hull.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 63
Scan 6 - Bow sewn to sky block and front hull square

Scan 7 - Stern sewn to sky block and back hull square

Scan 8 - The two centrally-located sails, their masts, and hull blocks below

My afternoon is all sewn up. /shameless pun

Attachments

• $6Tall Ship Lollipop Bow.jpg
    $6Tall Ship Lollipop Bow.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 76
  • $7Tall Ship Lollipop Stern.jpg
    $7Tall Ship Lollipop Stern.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 79
  • $8Tall Ship Lollipop Two Center Sails.jpg
    $8Tall Ship Lollipop Two Center Sails.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 59
Hey Beckums, check out my LOL cat thread. You are on it. Now, I've gotta hit the hay. I got a good report from Vanderbilt, but it's been a loooooooooooong day~

Hey Beckums, check out my LOL cat thread. You are on it. Now, I've gotta hit the hay. I got a good report from Vanderbilt, but it's been a loooooooooooong day~
First, lol! & pretty.

Glad the report came back good. May it stay good a long time. :)

I just went around the squares a few times with logs sewn on. This one doesn't do itself, but I forgot my medicine this morning, then just got too busy sewing one block after the other & forgot all about it. Then Boston's bombing consumed me for several hours until my symptoms took over, and I had to get with the program or else suffer the dismal consequences.

So there's no horizontal rows to show, and I already showed similar squares to the ones I worked on in utter fascination for this quilt's properties of just being a fun thing to do.

Tomorrow, the waves need to be cut out, and blocks completed. Wouldn't that be a lovely thing! ;)

Good night, all. Love to all our American brothers ad sisters in Boston as the nation tastes the salt from their tears.

Love,

becki

Becums, I've asked to have the cat removed. I managed to get the wrong thread. Sorry.

The scissors came today. They are very pretty and I'm glad to have blue ones again Now it's time to find the ones I lost.

First, lol! & pretty.

Glad the report came back good. May it stay good a long time. :)

I just went around the squares a few times with logs sewn on. This one doesn't do itself, but I forgot my medicine this morning, then just got too busy sewing one block after the other & forgot all about it. Then Boston's bombing consumed me for several hours until my symptoms took over, and I had to get with the program or else suffer the dismal consequences.

So there's no horizontal rows to show, and I already showed similar squares to the ones I worked on in utter fascination for this quilt's properties of just being a fun thing to do.

Tomorrow, the waves need to be cut out, and blocks completed. Wouldn't that be a lovely thing! ;)

Good night, all. Love to all our American brothers ad sisters in Boston as the nation tastes the salt from their tears.

Love,

becki

How am I getting these cats on your thread? LOL.

It's okay, sunshine. My computer does strange stuff too sometimes. ;)

Finished all the squares except the six squares for water on the pink and blue sailing ship thing.

Continuing prayers for all those in Boston who lost a loved one or was injured. Prayers especially for all who are on life support and fighting the good fight, and will through many months of rehabilitation. May God guide the hands of healers to use all their skills and imagination to get the right prosthetics for those who lost limbs outright, and may some of them get reattached, healing to the correct length needed to prevent other issues. Prayers up for all who need them but cannot speak about it.

Love,

becki

Last edited:
We have a marvelous seamstress...I think the costumes come when they purchase the play etc...but she customizes/tailors them to the kids. My daughter is the only little girl with a hat in this scene...she got a hat because the director and the seamstress (costume person) were so pleased with her and wanted her to know it. So they made her the beautiful hat.

After days of frittering time away, this morning saw 2 horizontal rows joined, with only 3 left to go, including the water, which I'm gonna go cut right now and try to remember what I did on the last one which has already been taken to the Charity Bees closet. I don't know why I get draggy sometimes. A good walk out in the sunshine in my fields oughta do it, except I'll pay for it in bug bites. :rolleyes: But maybe I'll see some pretty buttercups when the sun gets a little higher in the sky this beautiful day, following a very rainy one yesterday.

So happy to get going on the pink and blue tall sailing ship quilt again.

Forum List

Back