Article - "Populism Doesn't Work"

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Short but sweet, an interesting piece to ponder: Populism doesn’t work

I very much agree with the way it starts:

There is a lot to like about populism. It reduces complex topics to simplistic notions. Also, it appeals to our instincts to blame someone else for our problems. It's us against them, the decent, hardworking Joe vs. the one percenter, nativists vs. immigrants.

Also:

One need look no further than Venezuela, Brazil and Argentina to see what current or former populist leaders of those countries have wrought with their so-called egalitarian policies.

Thoughts?

While I don't agree with everything he says, the line "It reduces complex topics to simplistic notions" certainly describes our current political environment.

Loserterianism is even worse. America and most of the top 30 countries on earth use social democracy and they all work fine. ;) Cutting and watching paint dry is no economic system! We need leadership that seeks to fix problems as well as a healthy and semi-free capitalist system to make wealth.

Being too simple isn't a good idea and normally does play to the stupid within society.

I will take populism over Leftism any time. Populism may be an effort to combat the many heinous aspects of Leftism.

I will take populism over Leftism any time. Populism may be an effort to combat the many heinous aspects of Leftism.
Yet it's interesting the populism cuts across party/ideological lines, so you'll find yourself in agreement with plenty of leftists.

I think it is very generous to label Trump as a populist. It suggests that he has policies which benefit the lower and middle classes. He most certainly does not.

He has rhetoric which excites small portions of the lower and middle classes....nationalistic and ethnocentric rhetoric.

I think it is very generous to label Trump as a populist. It suggests that he has policies which benefit the lower and middle classes. He most certainly does not.

He has rhetoric which excites small portions of the lower and middle classes....nationalistic and ethnocentric rhetoric.
You may be right, but there is nothing about Cankles that could be described as populist. She is an elitist of the highest order.

You and your kind must be most conflicted. You want your pols to care and assist the middle and lower classes, yet you support a pol who has no intention of providing care or assistance.

You may be right, but there is nothing about Cankles that could be described as populist. She is an elitist of the highest order.

You and your kind must be most conflicted. You want your pols to care and assist the middle and lower classes, yet you support a pol who has no intention of providing care or assistance.

You are wrong about her intentions. Policies. Take a look at the policies.

She isn't a populist....that is true. But....since nobody is claiming that she is....why would you feel the need to argue that she isn't? That's kind of pointless, isn't it?

Deflect some more.

Forum List

Back