Zone1 Asbury Professor: We’re Witnessing a ‘Surprising Work of God

Most Wednesday mornings at Asbury University are like any other. A few minutes before 10, students begin to gather in Hughes Auditorium for chapel. Students are required to attend a certain number of chapels each semester, so they tend to show up as a matter of routine.

But this past Wednesday was different. After the benediction, the gospel choir began to sing a final chorus—and then something began to happen that defies easy description. Students did not leave. They were struck by what seemed to be a quiet but powerful sense of transcendence, and they did not want to go. They stayed and continued to worship. They are still there.

I teach theology across the street at Asbury Theological Seminary, and when I heard of what was happening, I immediately decided to go to the chapel to see for myself. When I arrived, I saw hundreds of students singing quietly. They were praising and praying earnestly for themselves and their neighbors and our world—expressing repentance and contrition for sin and interceding for healing, wholeness, peace, and justice.

Revival is here.
I graduated from Asbury, but was not there for the Revival in 1970, I missed it by a few years. I have been following this Revival, fellow classmates who have driven there to stand in the lines and get into one of the buildings, and have reported back to me.
I feel honored to have had the privelege of attending this fine college and cementing my faith in God along with the many great friends I met who did the same. God is alive and is making His presence known to us once again in a very visible way right now.

Then I don't expect to hear from you again.
The thing is Guy, the most devoted Christians on this board have conceded that the bibles are not intended to be taken as literal truths, and the Catholic church has accepted Darwinian evolution. That's selling the entire Christian farm in one neat package, and they've even sold the farm tractor and chickens along with the creation myth.

I am one of the most devoted Christians here, my beliefs are not governed by anyone else's opinions. Your animosity is something you simply cannot control. The Bible is literal and true Christians do not accept Darwinism.

I graduated from Asbury, but was not there for the Revival in 1970, I missed it by a few years. I have been following this Revival, fellow classmates who have driven there to stand in the lines and get into one of the buildings, and have reported back to me.
I feel honored to have had the privelege of attending this fine college and cementing my faith in God along with the many great friends I met who did the same. God is alive and is making His presence known to us once again in a very visible way right now.

Thank you, you gave me Jesus Bumps :)

Happens everywhere when there is high stress and hysteria .

Here "religious ecstasy" seems clear but as a description , not an explanation .
Its context will make many Gullibles think it has supernatural overtones .
Nonsense obviously , but Gullibles make far greater and more damaging blunders than this . Let them believe their nonsense .

You are of course incorrect but that is your right.

I am one of the most devoted Christians here, my beliefs are not governed by anyone else's opinions. Your animosity is something you simply cannot control. The Bible is literal and true Christians do not accept Darwinism.
I don't make personal attacks against devoted Christians. I reserve the right to question most Christian beliefs.

The bible is not completely literal, and in fact it's already been established by many or most Catholics to be embellishment.

I don't make personal attacks against devoted Christians. I reserve the right to question most Christian beliefs.

The bible is not completely literal, and in fact it's already been established by many or most Catholics to be embellishment.
The Catholic Church has many sins

Catholics do not speak for the entirety of the Body of Christ. It is literal.

Catholics do not speak for the entirety of the Body of Christ. It is literal.
I think the Catholic church has adopted the best strategy by accepting Darwinian evolution sooner, better than later.

As well, the best position on accepting that the bibles have been 'embellished'.

The word 'embellished' can be interpreted in several different ways and so can be readily accepted by the flock.

Who doesn't.
Catholics and her daughter Protestants. Yes, I agree...But when those sins are pointed out there is no repentance and turning away from them.

God leaves a people (individuals, a church, a nation) who embrace their sins

If your Church Masters allow you to actually read your Bibles, look at Christ's messages to the seven Churches

I think the Catholic church has adopted the best strategy by accepting Darwinian evolution sooner, better than later.

As well, the best position on accepting that the bibles have been 'embellished'.

The word 'embellished' can be interpreted in several different ways and so can be readily accepted by the flock.
Actually it's accepted for its wisdom. These accounts have been around for thousands of years. And will be for thousands of years more. You'll be forgotten the day after you are buried and never thought of again.

Who doesn't.
The Catholic church is eventually going to face the question on what constitutes a sin. That which was true for the church in the 19th. century can't be wholly true for today.

We can begin with the most egregious sins of the church itself by recalling how witchcraft was dealt with.

Most Wednesday mornings at Asbury University are like any other. A few minutes before 10, students begin to gather in Hughes Auditorium for chapel. Students are required to attend a certain number of chapels each semester, so they tend to show up as a matter of routine.

But this past Wednesday was different. After the benediction, the gospel choir began to sing a final chorus—and then something began to happen that defies easy description. Students did not leave. They were struck by what seemed to be a quiet but powerful sense of transcendence, and they did not want to go. They stayed and continued to worship. They are still there.

I teach theology across the street at Asbury Theological Seminary, and when I heard of what was happening, I immediately decided to go to the chapel to see for myself. When I arrived, I saw hundreds of students singing quietly. They were praising and praying earnestly for themselves and their neighbors and our world—expressing repentance and contrition for sin and interceding for healing, wholeness, peace, and justice.

Revival is here.
Since Christianity became a thing, the world has seen several great revivals. I think we're long overdue for another one. Maybe this is the beginning? I hope so. I hope God hasn't given up on us yet.

Since Christianity became a thing, the world has seen several great revivals. I think we're long overdue for another one. Maybe this is the beginning? I hope so. I hope God hasn't given up on us yet.
I think it has some potential, in the same way that Trump seemed to be able to rescue so msny wayward minds/souls.

The stage is set for Asbury to accept the 'Proud boys coming in with their AR-15's being accepted as the rods and the staffs, in a rhetorical sense.

The Catholic church is eventually going to face the question on what constitutes a sin. That which was true for the church in the 19th. century can't be wholly true for today.

We can begin with the most egregious sins of the church itself by recalling how witchcraft was dealt with.
You don't decide what is and is not sin. And the Catholic Church had ZERO to do with the witchcraft trials here in this hemisphere. I don't know about Europe though.

Here is the biblical definition of sin:

SIN IS the transgression of the Law--I John 3:4

I think it has some potential, in the same way that Trump seemed to be able to rescue so msny wayward minds/souls.

The stage is set for Asbury to accept the 'Proud boys coming in with their AR-15's being accepted as the rods and the staffs, in a rhetorical sense.
You're exposing yourself as a nut
Your hate is clear for all to see

You don't decide what is and is not sin. And the Catholic Church had ZERO to do with the witchcraft trials here in this hemisphere. I don't know about Europe though.

Here is the biblical definition of sin:

SIN IS the transgression of the Law--I John 3:4
Small comfort to the witches. The definition of SIN is subject to amendment.

Forum List

Back