Attitude is Everything....

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
...No It's not.

This catch-all phrase is frequently used by well-intended people who don't know how to deal with a problem you've asked them about.

Many years ago, I worked for a large company doing phone sales. After 6 months of below average production and few commission $ I asked my over worked supervisor what I was doing wrong; her response: "It's just your attitude" The next day at the weekly managers meeting I went into her office (which was not allowed) got on a monitoring phone and listened to 2 of the top producers. I wrote down their scripts, and rebuttals, then returned to work to use them. The result was immediate. My production improved dramatically, and by years end I was the #3 producer out of 632 sales rep's. My attitude hadn't changed, but I learned what to say and when. That made all the difference.

If the CFO of the company you work for spins your entire division offshore, sending you and 1,300 others off to the unemployment line, will a rosy attitude on your part change this? - No

If you make bad chess moves, will a positive attitude improve your won-loss record? - No

If you're struggling to solve a math problem, will a good attitude give you the skill to solve it? - No

And the list goes on. Having a good attitude is a valuable asset in interpersonal relationships, but attitude is not - "Everything"

ReplyQuote
ellipsish.svg

...No It's not.

This catch-all phrase is frequently used by well-intended people who don't know how to deal with a problem you've asked them about.

Many years ago, I worked for a large company doing phone sales. After 6 months of below average production and few commission $ I asked my over worked supervisor what I was doing wrong; her response: "It's just your attitude" The next day at the weekly managers meeting I went into her office (which was not allowed) got on a monitoring phone and listened to 2 of the top producers. I wrote down their scripts, and rebuttals, then returned to work to use them. The result was immediate. My production improved dramatically, and by years end I was the #3 producer out of 632 sales rep's. My attitude hadn't changed, but I learned what to say and when. That made all the difference.

If the CFO of the company you work for spins your entire division offshore, sending you and 1,300 others off to the unemployment line, will a rosy attitude on your part change this? - No

If you make bad chess moves, will a positive attitude improve your won-loss record? - No

If you're struggling to solve a math problem, will a good attitude give you the skill to solve it? - No

And the list goes on. Having a good attitude is a valuable asset in interpersonal relationships, but attitude is not - "Everything"

ReplyQuote
ellipsish.svg

"Knowledge is everything" is a better saying for success in business.

You need a good attitude, especially if you have to grind it out and work hard but being happily incompetent doesn't help the customer or the employer. This is how people elect bad governments. They vote on sizzle rather than steak.

By the way, good on you for taking it upon yourself to succeed IF you believed it was you and not the script or product. I am the same way when it comes to knowledge, I will take work home and study it, master it, become it. I just need to be interested and motivated enough.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back