Attn: Veterans

Doc, have you noticed we're surrounded by a herd of Marines?
I think Marines like to stay near Army in case they get in trouble.
My Dad was Underwater Demolitions in the Navy in WWII. He said the Army would clear an island of Japanese troops in a couple of weeks, and afterwards you could have a picnic anywhere on the island in perfect safety.

The Marines would clear an island in 2 days -- but guys would be picked off by snipers for months afterward.

RE: Attn: Veterans
⁜→ Gunny, et al,

BLUF: The thought is great, but not as easy as it seems.

This thread will not be politicized. Anyone have a problem with that, feel free to PM a staff member.
(COMMENT)

This is a very tall order giver the length and breadth of the Defense Issues of the day. What the nation funds, the priorities the line items are assigned, how it imposes and implements policy often becomes entangled in the Congressional whirlwinds that traverse the marbled hallways of power in the capitol.

If we truly discuss contemporary defense and military topics, we are bound to have disagreements; some experiential, some technical, and some on matters related to personnel
(training, care, and feeding).

EXAMPLE:​
I remember back in the day, when the dual compensation issues were discussed, and it was decided that careerist that were disabled BEFORE reaching 20 years (injury caused them to be medical retention boarded out) would not get both DOD retired pay and their VA disability. It was decided that they would have to forfeit one or the other. But those that walked-out the door AFTER 20 years would get both. Now that got heated.
My point is, the critical topics on congressional, defense, and military discussions can get political.

Just My Thought,
1611604183365.png

Most Respectfully,
R

Last edited:
Branch: US Army, active duty

Dates of service: 1997-2001

Units: 702nd MSB 2nd ID, Camp Casey, South Korea; 626 FSB 101st ABN DIV, Ft. Campbell, Kentucky

Other: 91B = Medic!!
Just curious did you vote for trump?
Yes, but the Democrats running my state erased me from the voter rolls immediately after the election so I doubt my vote was counted.

Branch: US Army, active duty

Dates of service: 1997-2001

Units: 702nd MSB 2nd ID, Camp Casey, South Korea; 626 FSB 101st ABN DIV, Ft. Campbell, Kentucky

Other: 91B = Medic!!
Just curious did you vote for trump?
This is a thread for us to identify ourselves. How about leaving the BS politics out of it? How anybody votes is really their own business, and nobody elses.

RE: Military
SUBTOPIC: Just a Welcome
⁜→ Rouge AI, Amadeus, et al,

BLUF: Welcome to the Group. We need a little Psychiatric help here.

Branch: US Army

Dates: '93-'98

Units: C 1/82 FA 1st Cav, JTF160 GITMO, C 2AMC 2ID Camp Stanley ROK

MOS: 92A (Logistics)primary
91F (Psychiatric Spc)secondary
(COMMENT)

Thanks for joining us!

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

Branch : U.S. Army

Dates : 04 - 06, MEB. Civilian Recruiter 06-07

Duty Station : Ft. Polk

Current Status : 100% T&P

MOS - 52c (never saw a heat or AC unit whole time I was in except once in FTX)
Secondary - 63b

Last edited:
(COMMENT)

Thanks for becoming a member.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

Thanks for having me. My military career wasn't as long as I hoped. I let them operate on me which they said would be "routine" and instead left me cripple for 15 years. Thanks to the MISSION ACT I could finally go outside the VA and get it fixed that was 2019.

Thanks for having me. My military career wasn't as long as I hoped. I let them operate on me which they said would be "routine" and instead left me cripple for 15 years. Thanks to the MISSION ACT I could finally go outside the VA and get it fixed that was 2019.
(COMMENT)

I know what you mean. I am at 70%, but not really. I am not allowed to receive any more than what my Army Medical Retirement pay would amount to. So every pay period, the Army sends me a bill for the overpayment the VA makes. I had my Medical Board in 1988. I thought the Army was doing me a favor by placing me on the Permanent Retired List, but it turns out, that is not so.

Anyway, hope you are doing a little bit better every day.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

(COMMENT)

I know what you mean. I am at 70%, but not really. I am not allowed to receive any more than what my Army Medical Retirement pay would amount to. So every pay period, the Army sends me a bill for the overpayment the VA makes. I had my Medical Board in 1988. I thought the Army was doing me a favor by placing me on the Permanent Retired List, but it turns out, that is not so.

Anyway, hope you are doing a little bit better every day.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R
Is that 70% for one condition or two?

If you have one at 70% you can file Total Disability to Individual Unemployability and get paid at 100% and the VA will treat you like a T&P 100%

Is that 70% for one condition or two?

If you have one at 70% you can file Total Disability to Individual Unemployability and get paid at 100% and the VA will treat you like a T&P 100%
(COMMENT)

Well, there are a couple little things included, but as you know, in the VA 10% + 10% does not equal 20%. But the reason I don't get 100% is that:

VA Payment - Retired Pay = Debt to the Army

So, if (as an example just to make the numbers easy) the VA were to pay me $1000/mo but my Retired Pay would only amount to $600/mo then I have to pay the Army back $400.

So in my case, no matter how much the VA would award me, the Army gets it. I have to pay for my VA Disability. The advantage is, my VA is tax-free.

This is a sleight of hand that Congress pulled.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

(COMMENT)

Well, there are a couple little things included, but as you know, in the VA 10% + 10% does not equal 20%. But the reason I don't get 100% is that:

VA Payment - Retired Pay = Debt to the Army

So, if (as an example just to make the numbers easy) the VA were to pay me $1000/mo but my Retired Pay would only amount to $600/mo then I have to pay the Army back $400.

So in my case, no matter how much the VA would award me, the Army gets it. I have to pay for my VA Disability. The advantage is, my VA is tax-free.

This is a sleight of hand that Congress pulled.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R
Holy shit. I was wondering about that if DoD offsets VA pay. Thanks for letting me know

Holy shit. I was wondering about that if DoD offsets VA pay. Thanks for letting me know
(COMMENT)

There is no offset pay if you served 20 years or more. You get both your retired pay and VA Disability.

But if you are like me, Line-of-Duty disability at 16 years (E-7), there is a bill.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

Forum List

Back