Australian Shooting...wow....not covered in American media....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
So, we are having a discussion on how utterly stupid background checks and gun registration is...and one of the anti gunners says that there have been no mass shootings in Australia...one, this isn't true, and two, they still have guns in Australia so the only reason they haven't had a mass shooting is that no one there has done it yet...

In researching for mass shootings in Australia, I found this...a shooting in Australia not covered by the American press....because it goes against the gun control meme of Australia, and it also throws in the radical muslims aren't terrorists meme...

Australian prime minister blames Islamic State for shooting outside Sydney prayer hall Fox News
The shooting of a Shiite religious leader outside a Sydney prayer hall appeared to have been influenced by the Islamic State movement, Australia's prime minister said Tuesday.
Rasoul Al Mousawi, 47, was blasted with a shotgun in the face and shoulder in a drive-by shooting outside the H
usainiyah Nabi Akram Center in suburban Greenacre early Monday.

Police said his wounds were not life threatening.

A witness, who declined to be identified, told Australian Broadcasting Corp. that men in the car had driven past the center several times before the shooting, calling out "IS lives forever" and "Shia dogs."

Prime Minister Tony Abbott confirmed that authorities suspected the Islamic State movement was behind the shooting.

"It seems there is an ISIL death cult influence on this shooting in Sydney in the last 24 hours or so," Abbott told reporters.

1) Did the shooters pass a background check in Australia.....?

2) Did the shooters register that gun before they used it to shoot that guy?

3) How did they get that gun...Australia is gun control paradise....?

Mass shootings are going to happen in Australia...and no one will be able to stop it until the next good guy with a gun arrives on the scene...and for the victims...that will be way too long a time....

Do the same gun laws apply right across Australia?

That could be one issue worth considering.

But most importantly, in any society where guns exist, then there is a chance of gun crime, obviously. Did someone claim that there are no guns in Australia?

Australia has les guns than the US.

Australia has less murders than the US.

That's the issue you need to address.

Last edited:
So, we are having a discussion on how utterly stupid background checks and gun registration is...and one of the anti gunners says that there have been no mass shootings in Australia...one, this isn't true, and two, they still have guns in Australia so the only reason they haven't had a mass shooting is that no one there has done it yet...

In researching for mass shootings in Australia, I found this...a shooting in Australia not covered by the American press....because it goes against the gun control meme of Australia, and it also throws in the radical muslims aren't terrorists meme...

Australian prime minister blames Islamic State for shooting outside Sydney prayer hall Fox News
The shooting of a Shiite religious leader outside a Sydney prayer hall appeared to have been influenced by the Islamic State movement, Australia's prime minister said Tuesday.
Rasoul Al Mousawi, 47, was blasted with a shotgun in the face and shoulder in a drive-by shooting outside the H
usainiyah Nabi Akram Center in suburban Greenacre early Monday.

Police said his wounds were not life threatening.

A witness, who declined to be identified, told Australian Broadcasting Corp. that men in the car had driven past the center several times before the shooting, calling out "IS lives forever" and "Shia dogs."

Prime Minister Tony Abbott confirmed that authorities suspected the Islamic State movement was behind the shooting.

"It seems there is an ISIL death cult influence on this shooting in Sydney in the last 24 hours or so," Abbott told reporters.

1) Did the shooters pass a background check in Australia.....?

2) Did the shooters register that gun before they used it to shoot that guy?

3) How did they get that gun...Australia is gun control paradise....?

Mass shootings are going to happen in Australia...and no one will be able to stop it until the next good guy with a gun arrives on the scene...and for the victims...that will be way too long a time....

Gun control paradise and Australia aren't two terms you see much. Japan is the gun controller's paradise.

New Zealand has more guns than Australia and the same murder rate....explain that....

Do the same gun laws apply right across Australia?

That could be one issue worth considering.

But most importantly, in any society where guns exist, then there is a chance of gun crime, obviously. Did someone claim that there are no guns in Australia?

Australia has les guns than the US.

Australia has less blacks than America.

New Zealand has more guns than Australia and the same murder rate....explain that....

Of course.

Firstly, NZ has a far higher number (per capita) of farmers, who always keep a gun for putting down a sick cow. Secondly NZ has a far stronger culture of duck and pig hunting than Australia does. This guns are rarely used in crime or violence. The same is true of US guns held on farms.

That is how statistics work - we can easily find a basic trend like less guns = less murders, and then when we look through any 'rogue' figures, there are often very clear, logical explanations.

Rik -

I'll ask again - have you ever been to Australia?

A case in point:

According to the 2011 census of Population, there were 20,780 residents in Cabramatta, with 29.4% of people were born in Australia. The most common other countries of birth were Vietnam 32.6%, Cambodia 9.4%, China (excludes SARs and Taiwan) 5.2%, Laos 1.6% and Thailand 1.5%. 11.6% of people only spoke English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Vietnamese 37.1%, Cantonese 12.9%, Khmer 9.0%, Mandarin 5.1% and Serbian 2.9%. The most common responses for religion in Cabramatta (State Suburbs) were Buddhism 49.6%, Catholic 15.2%, No Religion 11.3%, Eastern Orthodox 4.9% and Anglican 2.9%

Cabramatta New South Wales - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Now I couldn't give a damn about skin colour - but would you say that is a lot of immigrants, or not?

we can easily find a basic trend like less guns = less murders,

Why do you continually lie?

all%20homicide%20vs%20gun%20ownership%20selected%20nations%20small.png

In the 2006 Australian Census, 248,605 residents declared that they were born in Africa.[1]

Major countries of birth of African immigrants to Australia (2006 Census)
CountryPopulationMain city and proportion who live there
South Africa104,128Sydney (27.3%)
Egypt33,497Sydney (48.5%)
Zimbabwe20,157Perth (24.7%)
Sudan19,049Melbourne (31.0%)
Mauritius18,175Melbourne (48.6%)
Kenya9,940Perth (26.9%)
Ethiopia5,633Melbourne (53.9%)
Somalia4,316Melbourne (60.1%)
Zambia4,082Perth (30.7%)
Ghana2,771Sydney (51.0%)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Rik -

Post the chart with a source, and I'll take a proper look at it.

I took a quick look at it on another thread, but it mainly seemed to highlight the performance if Estonia and Russia as being worse than the US, which is a bit like saying that the US delivers great education results, because we beat Botswana and Fiji.

I.P. Freely -

Australia did pursue a 'White Australia' policy through until...maybe the 1970s I think. Which is somewhat embarassing today.

But to walk through parts of Sydney and Melbourne today is to walk through cities every bit as cosmopolitan as any American or European city. Richmond could be in Viet Nam, parts Toorak Road could be in Greece. In fact, I believe Mellbourne is the 2nd biggest Greek city in the world!

Rik -

Post the chart with a source, and I'll take a proper look at it

One source.

I took a quick look at it on another thread, but it mainly seemed to highlight the performance if Estonia and Russia as being worse than the US, which is a bit like saying that the US delivers great education results, because we beat Botswana and Fiji.

The US does deliver great results, only second to Finland.

Forum List

Back