Australian Shooting...wow....not covered in American media....

I.P. Freely -

Australia did pursue a 'White Australia' policy through until...maybe the 1970s I think. Which is somewhat embarassing today.

What's embarrassing about building a fantastic society?

I.P. Freely -

Australia did pursue a 'White Australia' policy through until...maybe the 1970s I think. Which is somewhat embarassing today.

But to walk through parts of Sydney and Melbourne today is to walk through cities every bit as cosmopolitan as any American or European city. Richmond could be in Viet Nam, parts Toorak Road could be in Greece. In fact, I believe Mellbourne is the 2nd biggest Greek city in the world!
I concur, I have visited on four occasions. The last time was to see my wifes Croatian relatives.

Interesting....at first glance it looks like classic blog stuff....using data from multiple different sources and plotting points on tables that are strangely without labels.

It also flies in the face of every major study done, incldung major studies by Harvard and the EU, which drew diametrically opposite results in studies of book-length, peer-reviewed studies.

It also flies in the face of what any person would conclude from looking at either the WaPo graph I posted above, or any list of total homicide rates per country.

There is simply no way on this earth that the US will EVER do well on a chart of these things, simply because you have 138 times the number of gun-related homicides than the UK does. Neither will Finland ever perform well. Finns know that a lot of people get shot here; too many.

I may look at it in more detail later, but at first read - it's propaganda. Not fact.

I.P. Freely -

Well, committing genocide against the people who were there when they arrived, for one thing?

It's wrong to judge people of the past by the standards of today. Aborigines were savages. How are they treated today? White Australia keeps sinking wealth into the futile effort to uplift them.

Interesting....at first glance it looks like classic blog stuff....using data from multiple different sources and plotting points on tables that are strangely without labels.

I don't know how you're going to avoid multiple data sources when you're comparing INTERNATIONAL homicide rates. Besides the data comes from a LEFTIST source, the Guardian.

Last edited:
"Australian Shooting...wow....not covered in American media..."

Likely because it occurred in Australia.

You truly are an idiot.

I.P. Freely -

Well, committing genocide against the people who were there when they arrived, for one thing?
more black Australian than black south africans died in police cells during the period of apartheid.
Indigenous incarceration rates are a national shame Antony Loewenstein Comment is free The Guardian

I.P. Freely -

more black Australian than black south africans died in police cells during the period of apartheid.
Indigenous incarceration rates are a national shame Antony Loewenstein Comment is free The Guardian

"Systemic racism." What a hoot. I love reading creationist fantasy stories.

I don't know how you're going to avoid multiple data sources when you're comparing INTERNATIONAL homicide rates. Besides the data comes from a LEFTIST source, the Guardian.
your link to the original source does not work?

I.P. Freely -

but its from the Guardian, the same source you validate your stats with.

your link to the original source does not work?
Fixed. Thanks for the heads-up.

I.P. Freely -

but its from the Guardian, the same source you validate your stats with.

You'll see from the fixed link that the Guardian simply compiled statistics, they didn't analyze the stats.

It's wrong to judge people of the past by the standards of today. Aborigines were savages.

Ah, so genocide is ok. Sometimes.

Good to know.

I'm repulsed by that, I have to say.

Really? Let me add to your revulsion. Does a tree falling in the forst make a sound if there is no one about to herar the sound?

Seven hundred years ago, the Dorset people disappeared from the Arctic. The last of the Paleo-Eskimos, the Dorset had dominated eastern Canada and Greenland for centuries, hunting seal and walrus through holes in the ice and practicing shamanistic rituals with ornate carvings and masks.

Then, they promptly ceased to exist. Modern archaeologists have scoured troves of Arctic artifacts, searching for clues to the Dorset’s sudden extinction. Did they assimilate when the Thule, ancestors of the modern Inuit, advanced from the Bering Strait with dog sleds, harpoons and large skin boats? Or did they die out, victims of either an unfortunate epidemic or a violent prehistoric genocide? . . .

To learn more about the Paleo-Eskimos and their sudden disappearance from the historical record, researchers collected DNA fragments from ancient human remains across Greenland, Canada and Siberia. Their results suggest that the Paleo-Eskimos remained genetically isolated for thousands of years, and that the Dorset culture did not vanish through assimilation. Modern Inuits, then, are descendants of the Thule and not directly related to the Paleo-Eskimos. . . .

“This might be a good lesson for us today,” Dr. Disotell said. “Long-term stability still means you can disappear. After 4,300 years, bam, you’re gone in decades.”

Rik -

I totally agree that we cannot apply 2014 sensibilities to the 1850s, but I do not recall there was ever a time where feeding people flour laced with strychine or forcing them off cliff tops was acceptable.

Even if they were black.

Btw. Many people have disappeared from our maps as borders and countries move. Where are the Visigoths, the Sudetendlanders, the Prussians.

Other people were simply slaughtered - the Herero, The Hutu, the Jews, the Tasmanian Aboriginals.

Suggesting that these acts were occasionally acceptable is heinous, as best.

If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

Last edited:
Rik -

Post the chart with a source, and I'll take a proper look at it.

I took a quick look at it on another thread, but it mainly seemed to highlight the performance if Estonia and Russia as being worse than the US, which is a bit like saying that the US delivers great education results, because we beat Botswana and Fiji.

One other thing - The US education philosophy, screwed-up as it is, does a better job with immigrants than does the acclaimed Finnish system. So being number two over all also comes with a sub-component where we do better.

Rik -

I totally agree that we cannot apply 2014 sensibilities to the 1850s, but I do not recall there was ever a time where feeding people flour laced with strychine or forcing them off cliff tops was acceptable.

Even if they were black.

I'm not saying that genocide is hunky dory, just that it's been quite common throughout human history. Talk to any Carthaginians lately?

The US education philosophy, screwed-up as it is, does a better job with immigrants than does the acclaimed Finnish system. So being number two over all also comes with a sub-component where we do better.

Perhaps it does, perhaps it doesn't.

But you base this on what, exactly?

And again - is Finland the best basis for comparison for the US, do you think?

The US education philosophy, screwed-up as it is, does a better job with immigrants than does the acclaimed Finnish system. So being number two over all also comes with a sub-component where we do better.

Perhaps it does, perhaps it doesn't.

But you base this on what, exactly?

And again - is Finland the best basis for comparison for the US, do you think?

There is no comparable country to the US, not because of appeal to exceptionalism but because all other multicultural empires have imploded. The basis are the PISA scores:

121910_ss001c_zpsd3b33c1c.png

Forum List

Back