Automatic upgrades coming to more PCs still on older versions, says Microsoft

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
No, this doesn't mean Microsoft will automatically upgrade your XP, Vista or Windows 7.
The concept behind Win 10 was this it the last labeled Windows to come out and would instead be upgraded with Windows 10 version upgrades. Windows 10 version 1809 will reach it's extended end of life on November 10, 2020 and is slated for upgrade to version 2004, it's still Windows 10 just a newer version. Version 1809 will no longer receive security updates after that. To check which version you have press the Win and R keys together, type: "winver" in the popup window (withOUT the quotation marks), it will tell you which version you have. Mine is currently running version 1903 and it's end of life date is December 9, 2020 which means it's also probably slated for upgrading also.
This is just a heads up for everyone.

Windows 10 2004: Automatic upgrades coming to more PCs still on older versions, says Microsoft | ZDNet

Despite contrary claims, you CAN turn off automatic updates in Windows 10.

1809 is ancient and NOT recommended. BUT saying one or two upgrades behind is generally a good idea as Microsoft tends to introduce 3 bugs for every 2 they fix.

Thanks, I have Windows 8.

That explains a lot.

Question for all; Was Windows 8 worse than Bob?

It's close.
I am using Windows 8 and it is good.

Worst thing to come:
Microsoft plans to remove x86 support from Windows 10X. Only "apps" will work, no normal programs. They want to provide an on-line emulator, instead.
They would prefer you totally use their software and isn't time to sue Microsoft yet again for antitrust issues?

That explains a lot.

It's close.

Worst thing to come:
Microsoft plans to remove x86 support from Windows 10X. Only "apps" will work, no normal programs. They want to provide an on-line emulator, instead.
They would prefer you totally use their software and isn't time to sue Microsoft yet again for antitrust issues?
No. They don´t enforce anything on us besides ugly nonfunctional UIs but that is something you can fix. If you don´t like it, welcome to the world of freemium-apps, pedometers, clock widgets and battery savers.

That explains a lot.

It's close.

Worst thing to come:
No. They don´t enforce anything on us besides ugly nonfunctional UIs but that is something you can fix. If you don´t like it, welcome to the world of freemium-apps, pedometers, clock widgets and battery savers.
To get work from home jobs I have to get windows ten so I am about to play that game.

Worst thing to come:

Windows 10 S is a specific version for the ARM architecture, meant to compete with Android and IOS.

It is not Windows 10, it is another stupid idea by Microsoft and already a disaster.

That explains a lot.

It's close.

Worst thing to come:
To get work from home jobs I have to get windows ten so I am about to play that game.
Not because MS enforces it on you. There are alternative solutions your employer could have chosen, and if not that would also be nothing to blame on Microsoft.

No, this doesn't mean Microsoft will automatically upgrade your XP, Vista or Windows 7.
The concept behind Win 10 was this it the last labeled Windows to come out and would instead be upgraded with Windows 10 version upgrades. Windows 10 version 1809 will reach it's extended end of life on November 10, 2020 and is slated for upgrade to version 2004, it's still Windows 10 just a newer version. Version 1809 will no longer receive security updates after that. To check which version you have press the Win and R keys together, type: "winver" in the popup window (withOUT the quotation marks), it will tell you which version you have. Mine is currently running version 1903 and it's end of life date is December 9, 2020 which means it's also probably slated for upgrading also.

Windows 10 2004: Automatic upgrades coming to more PCs still on older versions, says Microsoft | ZDNet
Still run XP. It does all I need so I have no intention of upgrading to anymore flawed versions of bullshit just to put money into someone's pocket who doesn't need it and to support a company in an area and an economy so against and at odds with our nation.

Last edited:
Worst thing to come:
Microsoft already removed half of x86 with the removal of WOW support for 8 and 16 bit programs, when running 64 bit windows.

Still run XP. It does all i need so i have no intention of upgrading to anymore flawed versions of bullshit just to put money into someone's pocket who doesn't need it and to support a company in an area and an economy so against and at odds with our nation.

As long as you stay off the internet, XP is fine.

windows.png

Worst thing to come:

Windows 10 S is a specific version for the ARM architecture, meant to compete with Android and IOS.

It is not Windows 10, it is another stupid idea by Microsoft and already a disaster.
Windows 10S is for stupid. Qualcomm included an hardware emulator for x86 programs into their CPU but then MS decided to limit 10 S to "apps". That is why ARM laptops are so rare.

But I was talking about Windows 10X (upcoming). Unlike 10S, you cannot upgrade it to full blown Windows, the x86 support doesn´t exist.

Still run XP. It does all i need so i have no intention of upgrading to anymore flawed versions of bullshit just to put money into someone's pocket who doesn't need it and to support a company in an area and an economy so against and at odds with our nation.
Taking a page from "if microsoft built cars"
If microsoft wrote a secure operating system in the first place they wouldn't need so many security updates.
If microsoft wrote the constitution, we'd be up to the 5,542nd amendment by now.

Forum List

Back