Automatic upgrades coming to more PCs still on older versions, says Microsoft

Microsoft already removed half of x86 with the removal of WOW support for 8 and 16 bit programs, when running 64 bit windows.

Not entirely true. 16 bit instruction sets are still supported. Is 8 bit C/PM code important in 2020, 40 years after it was actually used? Enable NYVDM and 16 bit Windows legacy will run fine. (Windows key + R - Optionalfeatures.exe)

If you MUST run 8 bit code (which has NEVER been supported by any version of Windows) Use DOSBOX.

Worst thing to come:
Microsoft plans to remove x86 support from Windows 10X. Only "apps" will work, no normal programs. They want to provide an on-line emulator, instead.
Microsoft already removed half of x86 with the removal of WOW support for 8 and 16 bit programs, when running 64 bit windows.
You can run 64 bit programs, instead. So what is the problem?

I am using Windows 8 and it is good.

Worst thing to come:
Microsoft plans to remove x86 support from Windows 10X. Only "apps" will work, no normal programs. They want to provide an on-line emulator, instead.

Windows 10 S is a specific version for the ARM architecture, meant to compete with Android and IOS.

It is not Windows 10, it is another stupid idea by Microsoft and already a disaster.
Windows 10S is for stupid. Qualcomm included an hardware emulator for x86 programs into their CPU but then MS decided to limit 10 S to "apps". That is why ARM laptops are so rare.

But I was talking about Windows 10X (upcoming). Unlike 10S, you cannot upgrade it to full blown Windows, the x86 support doesn´t exist.

Another trainwreck demonstrating the stupidity of Microsoft. They just can't STAND that Android is the dominant OS.

Still run XP. It does all i need so i have no intention of upgrading to anymore flawed versions of bullshit just to put money into someone's pocket who doesn't need it and to support a company in an area and an economy so against and at odds with our nation.
Taking a page from "if microsoft built cars"
If microsoft wrote a secure operating system in the first place they wouldn't need so many security updates.
If microsoft wrote the constitution, we'd be up to the 5,542nd amendment by now.

Bullshit.

The # target for malware and security breaches is Android.

Whoever is on top is targeted. IOS and Android have FAR more security problems than Windows does.

But I was talking about Windows 10X (upcoming). Unlike 10S, you cannot upgrade it to full blown Windows, the x86 support doesn´t exist.

There are two solutions to running old software.
1) keep your old laptop/desktop that you couldn't upgrade, just for that purpose
2) Load a virtual machine emulator, and install an older version of windows such as XP, Vista. Win7/8-32 bit
But be warned microsoft limits which versions can load older operating system images, and limits which operating system images are available for download.

Is 8 bit C/PM code important in 2020, 40 years after it was actually used? Enable NYVDM and 16 bit Windows legacy will run fine. (Windows key + R - Optionalfeatures.exe)

If you MUST run 8 bit code (which has NEVER been supported by any version of Windows) Use DOSBOX.

Actually all the way through windows Vista, it ran 8 bit (dos), 16 bit (win3.x) and 32 bit programs. Windows 7/8 32 bit may still run them, but windows 7/8 64 bit can't run 8 or 16 bit programs.
And YES, i've used DOSBOX which only runs 8-bit (dos) applications. But as i've read, as a dos application, you can actually install windows 3.x into DOSBOX to have it run 16 and 32 bit programs.

I am using Windows 8 and it is good.

Worst thing to come:

Windows 10 S is a specific version for the ARM architecture, meant to compete with Android and IOS.

It is not Windows 10, it is another stupid idea by Microsoft and already a disaster.
Windows 10S is for stupid. Qualcomm included an hardware emulator for x86 programs into their CPU but then MS decided to limit 10 S to "apps". That is why ARM laptops are so rare.

Another trainwreck demonstrating the stupidity of Microsoft. They just can't STAND that Android is the dominant OS.
MS made crappy alternatives, nobody used them. The last decent Mobile Windows was 6.
They learned that Android is the major platform for smartphones and started to make their own stuff for this OS but they did not drop their failed UWP-plans. I think that is the problem, that they stick to their "universal" apps which aren´t universal anymore and which nobody uses.

1) keep your old laptop/desktop that you couldn't upgrade, just for that purpose
2) Load a virtual machine emulator, and install an older version of windows such as XP, Vista. Win7/8-32 bit
But be warned microsoft limits which versions can load older operating system images, and limits which operating system images are available for download.
I still have a copy of Windows 98 in the cupboard.

Actually all the way through windows Vista, it ran 8 bit (dos), 16 bit (win3.x) and 32 bit programs. Windows 7/8 32 bit may still run them, but windows 7/8 64 bit can't run 8 or 16 bit programs.
And YES, i've used DOSBOX which only runs 8-bit (dos) applications. But as i've read, as a dos application, you can actually install windows 3.x into DOSBOX to have it run 16 and 32 bit programs.

Again, 8 bit was a DOS only paradigm that was only included in the initial DOS release to support C/PM. DOS 1.0 was a 16 bit OS. And no version of Windows ever supported 8 bit execution. Yes, the command line in the 32 bit versions could run .com files, but the question remains, what for?

As for running Windows 3.1, yes DOSBOX will do it, but you must create a virtual disk. It can only run 16 bit code as it was not a 32 bit environment. Remember, Widows prior to NT was just a shell that sat on top of DOS.

You can run 64 bit programs, instead. So what is the problem?

The problem is legacy programs. Examples are programs for legacy Allen Bradly hardware (PLCs). AB (now rockwell) doesn't do upgrades, so you would have to buy a new version for several thousand dollars.

I still have a copy of Windows 98 in the cupboard.

Me too, Windows 98 SE.

I have it running in VMWare for my mom, because she only will use Pagemaker 6 to write letters.

Bullshit.

Whoever is on top is targeted. IOS and Android have FAR more security problems than Windows does.
Actually the target for malware and security breaches is whatever operating system is most popular.

Nobody tries to hack Unix system 5, QNX, or dozens of other operating systems you no longer have a lot of people running.

The problem is legacy programs. Examples are programs for legacy Allen Bradly hardware (PLCs). AB (now rockwell) doesn't do upgrades, so you would have to buy a new version for several thousand dollars.

I'm running 30 year old Roamer CMM's on Windows 7 using DOSBOX with full success. The key has more to do with interfacing the old serial ports than the OS it's self. It took a lot of tweaking to get the I/O flowing through the emulation right, but it does work.

As for running Windows 3.1, yes DOSBOX will do it, but you must create a virtual disk. It can only run 16 bit code as it was not a 32 bit environment. Remember, Widows prior to NT was just a shell that sat on top of DOS.
Actually Windows for workgroups 3.11 came with 32 bit extentions, allowing you to run 32-bit programs like the version of "freecell" introduced with windows NT.

Bullshit.

Actually the target for malware and security breaches is whatever operating system is most popular.

Nobody tries to hack Unix system 5, QNX, or dozens of other operating systems you no longer have a lot of people running.

Isn't that what I just said? :)

Android it the #1 target because it's the #1 OS.

There used to be a myth that Linux was more secure than Windows. It's never been true.

Me too, Windows 98 SE.

I have it running in VMWare for my mom, because she only will use Pagemaker 6 to write letters.

VMWare was the only completely operable virtual machine. The windows virtual pc wouldn't let me install XP (which can be downloaded for free) on less than windows 10

I don´t know about that but it sounds like ancient stuff.

A lot of old process control automation is ancient. The hardware was so rock solid, companies had no reason to update them. And the cost of rewriting software is more than the cost of the hardware.

I'm running 30 year old Roamer CMM's on Windows 7 using DOSBOX with full success. The key has more to do with interfacing the old serial ports than the OS it's self. It took a lot of tweaking to get the I/O flowing through the emulation right, but it does work.

Where did you find serial port hardware, the only thing I have are USB to serial converters, which is fine for windows 7 but DOS has no native USB support.

They would prefer you totally use their software and isn't time to sue Microsoft yet again for antitrust issues?

What "antitrust?"

Windows isn't the most used OS in the world. It isn't even the second most used.

Android is the most used, IOS is second, Windows is a DISTANT third.
Actually . Linux is the most used but end users don't know it.

Forum List

Back