B-a-b-e-l-f-i-s-c-h!!!

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Babelfisch!

Now, you are probably wondering what in the Hell a Babelfisch is...

In the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (newspaper), one of the most reputable and most read publications in Germany, there was a column called "Babelfisch", where people sent in pictures of vids of people totally mangling the German language.

I thought to myself, it would be really cool to have such a thread for examples of the mangling of our language, the English language.

So, here are the simple rules:

It can be something that an English speaker or a non-english speaker has mangled, and causes us to laugh, or at least to think about it.

Something visual (pic, vid) would be nice, but it can also be a quote. If there is an accompanying link with some cool information, that would also be good.

I will start with an example of chinglish:

Chinglish-82_zps2699f6c2.png

Language Services Associates - Translation and Interpreting » Shanghai Is Trying to Untangle the Mangled English of Chinglish

And from a bar somewhere in Europe, I believe:

2940013380288_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Free Drinks for Ladies with Nuts: Delightfully Mangled English from Around the World by Jane O'Boyle | NOOK Book (eBook), Paperback | Barnes & Noble

:)

Have fun, and to modify a quote from the OP of Coffee Shop II:

"So check your spurs, sidearms, politics, and religious fussing at the door, come in to" ... enjoy some linguistic fun and learn from each other!

Speaking of fisch! I was the first English speaking person my wife met. On one of our first dates we went to a Greek restaurant. Menu was in German so I went with something I thought was safe and ordered Tintenfisch. She tried unsuccessfully to explain what it was. Of course it was octopus and it was like trying to chew a mouthful of rubber bands. I learned that we call it octopus because it has 8 tentacles and the Germans call it tinten (ink) fish because it squirts ink. Live and learn.

Speaking of fisch! I was the first English speaking person my wife met. On one of our first dates we went to a Greek restaurant. Menu was in German so I went with something I thought was safe and ordered Tintenfisch. She tried unsuccessfully to explain what it was. Of course it was octopus and it was like trying to chew a mouthful of rubber bands. I learned that we call it octopus because it has 8 tentacles and the Germans call it tinten (ink) fish because it squirts ink. Live and learn.

rofl

rofl

rofl

rofl

Übrigens, ich mag Tintenfisch!

By the way, I like Octopus!!!

dude, that is a great story!!!

The Babel fish was a creature inserted in the ear in the Hitchhker's Guide to the Galaxy which enabled one to understand every language spoken in the Universe.

I would hate any topic based on this reference to go without a mention of that wonderfully, insanely delightful series of books.

If you have not read them, do.

Ha,ha, that is so funny....reminds me of one of my first dates with my hub.....he took me to a Japanese Restaurant, authentic to the point that you sat on the floor on pillows on a very low table. The entrees mostly had Japanese names and none of them sounded familiar....but I noticed one entree had ingredients much like Chinese food, so I felt comfortable ordering it.

He thought he was so avant-garde.....he decided to order the Traditional Japanese Dinner and suggested that I do the same. I refused, said I would stick with what I ordered.

When they brought our first course out, mine looked familiar, while his was really pretty, looked like two little rosettes on a plate. He thought he was getting a hors-ouvres and took a bite. I wanted to try it, and as soon as I put it in my mouth I said, "Hmmm, this tastes like raw fish".....the waitress happened to be walking by and laughed and said "Yes, raw fish, sushi...." You should have seen the look on his face.....needless to say, we ended up sharing my meal....

And this wasn't like the sushi you get today in a restaurant, wrapped in some leaf, it was out there just fish, raw fish......ewwwww.

The Babel fish was a creature inserted in the ear in the Hitchhker's Guide to the Galaxy which enabled one to understand every language spoken in the Universe.

I would hate any topic based on this reference to go without a mention of that wonderfully, insanely delightful series of books.

If you have not read them, do.

[MENTION=34052]g5000[/MENTION]:

Thank you!!!

I was hoping someone would bring that cool tibbit up. 42!!

Ha,ha, that is so funny....reminds me of one of my first dates with my hub.....he took me to a Japanese Restaurant, authentic to the point that you sat on the floor on pillows on a very low table. The entrees mostly had Japanese names and none of them sounded familiar....but I noticed one entree had ingredients much like Chinese food, so I felt comfortable ordering it.

He thought he was so avant-garde.....he decided to order the Traditional Japanese Dinner and suggested that I do the same. I refused, said I would stick with what I ordered.

When they brought our first course out, mine looked familiar, while his was really pretty, looked like two little rosettes on a plate. He thought he was getting a hors-ouvres and took a bite. I wanted to try it, and as soon as I put it in my mouth I said, "Hmmm, this tastes like raw fish".....the waitress happened to be walking by and laughed and said "Yes, raw fish, sushi...." You should have seen the look on his face.....needless to say, we ended up sharing my meal....

And this wasn't like the sushi you get today in a restaurant, wrapped in some leaf, it was out there just fish, raw fish......ewwwww.

yepp. When I was on tour in Japan right after 911 in 2001 and had some gigs in Norther Japan, which is called "To-ho-ku", they are not very discriminating about eating seafood. Whatever lands in the net, if it was a living creature, gets eaten.... igit...

Ever eaten a huge, fried sea spider? Raw horse meat?

:)

Forum List

Back