Bad Bosses

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
I've had some great bosses over the years and I've had some God awful ones.

Last night we watched "Office Space" and "The Devil Wears Prada" back to back and I was just wondering:

Which boss would be the most intolerable to work for?

Bill Lumbergh?
or
Miranda Priestley?

Have you ever been in a situation working for somebody like that?

Last edited:
There are two kinds of bosses, those who work off of a dominating nature and those who work off of a domineering nature.

The former know what they want and know how to get others to get it for them.

The latter don't know what they want and so expect you to find it for them and blame you when you don't.

There are two kinds of bosses, those who work off of a dominating nature and those who work off of a domineering nature.

The latter don't know what they want and so expect you to find it for them and blame you when you don't.
I think the worst boss I ever had I only had to endure a couple of months and Hombre rescued me by getting transferred to another state.

My first clue should have been that, before he would hire me, he sent me to his psychiatrist for an intelligence test to be sure I was smart enough to work for him. :) (My coworkers explained he went to that psychiatrist himself to find out why he yelled at everybody so much.)

And he did yell at us a lot. And nothing was every quite satisfactory--we didn't arrange our desks properly or didn't do things in the right order or we were too slow, or we couldn't have been careful because we got done so quickly. Of course I would have quit just as soon as I found something else, but as it turned out I didn't have to quit, at least for cause.

For the record I would probably have to resist strangling Lumbergh but I could NOT work for somebody like Miranda Priestly.

I hear Office Space is a terrific movie. I don't know why have have such a mental block on it.

I KNOW I have seen it twice now.

Why can't I ever remember it?

The only scene I ever remember, is them taking a printer out and beating the hell out of it.

:eusa_think:

I've been lucky in that I have had some really good bosses. I have had one that lied so much that if her lips were moving then she was probably lying. She called me up and kept asking about why is so and so over at this school? I said they weren't there. She repeated this statement and I kept denying this person was there. She asked why the Assistant District Attorney was saying that it was true. I don't know. The problem was that this person she was asking about was in my car 15 minutes before she called. I was at their house. I had just dropped this person off at work. We were an hour and a half away from the school.

I started to see this person lie frequently and I got to the point that I couldn't trust anything she said. In fact, she would make some comments during our conversations while she was on the phone with me or talking to someone else that I knew she was lying or suspected she was lying. She micromanaged the hell out of the cases and withheld information about the cases. If you lie and I can't trust you then we are going to have a problem. AND you are going to incorporate people from a completely different office that might put me on the stand? I had a couple of cases at the time that looked to me to be a law suit in the process.

I am willing to above and beyond for my employers most of the time but I'm not going to lie to the court to save your ass. Fuck that shit. Every so many years the Feds come in and review the cases. I have had one of my cases reviewed. Now, they pick one that has been closed for some time while you are getting nailed from whatever you have open currently so you can look like an idiot when they ask you questions. There is a difference between looking stupid because you didn't do A, B or C or trying to recall things and flat out lying. I don't think I can work for someone that dishonest again.

I've had some great bosses over the years and I've had some God awful ones.

Last night we watched "Office Space" and "The Devil Wears Prada" back to back and I was just wondering:

Which boss would be the most intolerable to work for?

Bill Lumbergh?
or
Miranda Priestley?

Have you ever been in a situation working for somebody like that?
I don't know who them two people are and so I can't compare them to those who I have worked for. I however can say that I have had more good bosses compared to bad ones. :) :) :)

God bless you and my favorites always!!!

Holly

I've always tried to be the type of boss I'd want to work for. I've found that being fair, firm and, on occasion, generous (bonuses, extra PTO, etc) gets the job done...

I once had a moronic boss that couldn't communicate with people and would leave passive aggressive notes everywhere that employees would go out of their way to ignore.

My boss is an absolute slavedriver. I average over 50 hours a week, have to do work others don't want to do, am underpaid considering all my dedication to the job, and am made to be responsible for everything.

That's just what I have to deal with for owning my own small business, I guess.

I've been lucky in that I have had some really good bosses. I have had one that lied so much that if her lips were moving then she was probably lying. She called me up and kept asking about why is so and so over at this school? I said they weren't there. She repeated this statement and I kept denying this person was there. She asked why the Assistant District Attorney was saying that it was true. I don't know. The problem was that this person she was asking about was in my car 15 minutes before she called. I was at their house. I had just dropped this person off at work. We were an hour and a half away from the school.

I started to see this person lie frequently and I got to the point that I couldn't trust anything she said. In fact, she would make some comments during our conversations while she was on the phone with me or talking to someone else that I knew she was lying or suspected she was lying. She micromanaged the hell out of the cases and withheld information about the cases. If you lie and I can't trust you then we are going to have a problem. AND you are going to incorporate people from a completely different office that might put me on the stand? I had a couple of cases at the time that looked to me to be a law suit in the process.

I am willing to above and beyond for my employers most of the time but I'm not going to lie to the court to save your ass. Fuck that shit. Every so many years the Feds come in and review the cases. I have had one of my cases reviewed. Now, they pick one that has been closed for some time while you are getting nailed from whatever you have open currently so you can look like an idiot when they ask you questions. There is a difference between looking stupid because you didn't do A, B or C or trying to recall things and flat out lying. I don't think I can work for someone that dishonest again.
I can certainly understand your point of view. I don't have a lot of people in my life that seem to be congential or sociopathic liars. But there are a few.

My boss is an absolute slavedriver. I average over 50 hours a week, have to do work others don't want to do, am underpaid considering all my dedication to the job, and am made to be responsible for everything.

That's just what I have to deal with for owning my own small business, I guess.
ROFL. I so understand. I've run my own small business and lordy was I a terrible boss to me.

I once had a moronic boss that couldn't communicate with people and would leave passive aggressive notes everywhere that employees would go out of their way to ignore.
My last job I was again running my own business. But the last time I worked for somebody else my boss was like that. We worked out of adjoining offices but if he didn't like something on one of my reports or thought I wasn't fast enough getting something done, instead of walking 30 feet to discuss it, he would send me a really nasty e-mail.

I don't know who them two people are and so I can't compare them to those who I have worked for. I however can say that I have had more good bosses compared to bad ones. :) :) :)

God bless you and my favorites always!!!

Holly
I have too actually. Some really great and memorable bosses. And I've been in managements positions and also have run my own business so I know what it is to be the boss. From the beginning of our very long marriage, Hombre and I agreed I would be the mom and, if I worked outside the home which I usually did, he would be the primary breadwinner. Thus he was the one transferred many times and I had to start over in each new place, sometimes taking 2 or 3 job moves to get back to something that I enjoyed or that paid enough. So I've had a really eclectic career, lots of different jobs, lots of different bosses. I consider myself something of an authority now on management styles.

There are those two types, but there's a few others too.

Last edited:
I can certainly understand your point of view. I don't have a lot of people in my life that seem to be congential or sociopathic liars. But there are a few.
Her stuff began with calling me and screaming into the phone about discussing a sex trafficking incident in one of my cases in a meeting but made it seem as if the direct threat came from her bosses. Then it was all triangulation. I don't know too many that engage in lying regularly after something like recovery but this was pretty blatant.

Forum List

Back