🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Bakery Owners Refuse to Pay Gay Extortionists

I still can't get over the "gag order".

When did the labor commissioner of the state of Oregon get the power to abrogate citizens' First Amendment rights?

A court never ordered it. A commission did

Great point. Petty bureaucrooks have no business extorting fines.

Avakian, the left loon that ordered it is a jackass. He looks like a little beady eyed weasel
You should share your picture so we can see what kind of animal YOU look like.

Whatever you do don't share yours...our children may be present

i'd rather have her near my kid than you. *shrug*

If rather have her near yours then you near mine.

Agreement is so very satisfying.

I still can't get over the "gag order".

When did the labor commissioner of the state of Oregon get the power to abrogate citizens' First Amendment rights?
This is what the "gag order" was really about:

Avakian ordered Sweet Cakes to pay $135,000 in damages. He also noted that the bakers had granted an interview with hate-group leader Tony Perkins, which aired on the Christian Broadcasting Network. During the interview, Melissa Klein (of Sweet Cakes) stated: “We don’t do same-sex marriage, same-sex wedding cakes.” The broadcast also displayed a note taped to Sweet Cakes’ door, which directed readers to the store’s Facebook page and stated, in part: “This fight is not over. We will continue to stand strong.”

These statements, Avakian held, clearly telegraph Klein’s intention to continue to refuse service to gay couples. That presents a new legal wrinkle, since under Oregon law, businesses may not “publish, circulate, issue or display” any “communication, notice, advertisement or sign of any kind” that suggests they will turn someone away because of their identity. It’s this law that prevents a hotel from declaring on its website “no interracial couples.” An individual hotelier, of course, retains his private First Amendment right to preach about God’s intent to separate the races—as the trial judge in Loving v. Virginiadid. But when he’s speaking publicly in his official capacity as a hotelier, he may not declare that his business will refuse service to thepublic based on their identity.

Noting that the Kleins had run afoul of Oregon law by asserting their intention to keep discriminating against gay couples, Avakian proposed a simple solution: Stop doing that. Rather than fine the Kleins further, Avakian wrote that the couple must “cease and desist” stating that Sweet Cakes would continue to turn away gay couples. As individuals, the Kleins may declare that Oregon’s anti-discrimination law should not protect gay couples. But when speaking publicly about the future of their own business, they must not opine that they will maintain a policy of anti-gay discrimination.

This is from Slate, but you are welcome to find another source that says something different.

The fascist "gag order" is political overreach at its worst.
Did you feel the same way when years before Oregon used the same PA law to fine a business over 300K for refusing to serve a Christian couple?

don't be ridiculous. *shakes head*

That's just as dumb as this case.

hi marty. I don't think its silly for a business to be forced not to discriminate. but no one was forcing the bakers to write "I love gay people". they had to bake a cake. that's what was silly about the proposed counter-example.

it's using a neutron bomb to kill a gnat.

PA laws were designed to fight pervasive widespread discrimination that took a whole class of people and made them 2nd class citizens. It wasn't designed to punish people for hurting other people's feelings, and what we have here is nothing but that.

Avakian, the left loon that ordered it is a jackass. He looks like a little beady eyed weasel

Pound sand, you're annoying
^ This is what little girls do when they have nothing substantial.

And when they deal with an utterly annoying adult.

Glad I could clear that up

Great point. Petty bureaucrooks have no business extorting fines.

meh... I raised an honors student who plays classical music and got a scholarship to college.

so i think i'm ahead of the game.

Did you feel the same way when years before Oregon used the same PA law to fine a business over 300K for refusing to serve a Christian couple?

And where were the protests? The GoFundMe accounts? The outrage? Who has been working actively to get PA laws appealed in that state?

Some of us have real jobs, not the time to "rabble rabble rabble" that progressives seem to have in spades.

hi marty. I don't think its silly for a business to be forced not to discriminate. but no one was forcing the bakers to write "I love gay people". they had to bake a cake. that's what was silly about the proposed counter-example.

PA laws were designed to fight pervasive widespread discrimination that took a whole class of people and made them 2nd class citizens. It wasn't designed to punish people for hurting other people's feelings, and what we have here is nothing but that.

i don't think people who lived through jim crow would agree with you, marty. embarrassing people and forcing them out of your business does the same thing as it did back in the day.

if you go into a service business you can't refuse to serve people for discriminatory reasons. in fact, i'd apply the same standards as i would apply to employment discrimination ..... .you can refuse to serve someone for any reason or no reason but not for a discriminatory/illegal reason.

What happens to any person or business who doesn't pay court ordered damages?

I'm sure The Special Snowflake Mob will do everything they can to ruin their lives because of their religious beliefs.

Hopenchange!

This is precisely the argument. Well stated! Gays are not discriminated on a regular basis. If our judges would realize this, we would have less trouble in this country.

fascism:

fas·cism

/ˈfaSHˌizəm/

noun

noun: fascism; noun: Fascism; plural noun: Fascisms

an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.

synonyms: authoritarianism, totalitarianism, dictatorship, despotism, autocracy; More

Nazism, rightism;

nationalism, xenophobia, racism, anti-Semitism;

jingoism, isolationism;

neofascism, neo-Nazism

"a film depicting the rise of fascism in the 1930s"

(in general use) extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practice.

you should probably stop misusing terms. just saying.

meh... I raised an honors student who plays classical music and got a scholarship to college.

so i think i'm ahead of the game.

Congrats (sincere). PHD, MBA, State Champion and three time Iraqi war vet with 2 SEPERATE degrees here.

Pound sand, you're annoying

and you're a bigoted rightwingnut cow.

i'll pick annoying. thanks, with the full knowledge that i'm only annoying you because i'm right.

I reiterate.... i'd never have wanted my kid around bigots like you. I had no problem with my son around my gay friends.
If you don't want your kids around her type...you must be a bigot.

Forum List

Back