🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Bakery Owners Refuse to Pay Gay Extortionists

Great point. Petty bureaucrooks have no business extorting fines.

Avakian, the left loon that ordered it is a jackass. He looks like a little beady eyed weasel
You should share your picture so we can see what kind of animal YOU look like.

Whatever you do don't share yours...our children may be present

i'd rather have her near my kid than you. *shrug*

Pound sand, you're annoying

and you're a bigoted rightwingnut cow.

i'll pick annoying. thanks, with the full knowledge that i'm only annoying you because i'm right.

I reiterate.... i'd never have wanted my kid around bigots like you. I had no problem with my son around my gay friends.

The fascist "gag order" is political overreach at its worst.
Did you feel the same way when years before Oregon used the same PA law to fine a business over 300K for refusing to serve a Christian couple?

don't be ridiculous. *shakes head*

That's just as dumb as this case.

hi marty. I don't think its silly for a business to be forced not to discriminate. but no one was forcing the bakers to write "I love gay people". they had to bake a cake. that's what was silly about the proposed counter-example.

This is merely a step of the process.

The bakery will get much more now from their supporters to pay the sure to be doubled damages.

Good for them!!

The owners of an Oregon bakery are refusing to pay $135,000 in state-ordered damages to a same-sex couple who were denied service.

Melissa and Aaron Klein, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, cited religious beliefs when they refused to bake a wedding cake for Laurel and Rachel Bowman-Cryer more than two years ago.

The couple were awarded the damages in July by Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian for emotional suffering, saying the owners had violated the women’s civil rights by discriminating on the basis of their sexual orientation. They were also slapped with a gag order that prohibited them from speaking publicly about their refusal to participate in or bake wedding cakes for same-sex marriages.

Oregon bakery owners refuse to pay damages in gay wedding cake case

Liberals rush in to vilify civil disobedience in 3...2...1...
Oh they can civily disobey all they want. What happens next? Are you saying that Oregon's PA law is unjust?

I don't know what happens next. Yes, I think it is unjust to force people to violate their strongly held religious beliefs.

so a muslim can go to work in a non-kosher, non-halal butcher shop and refuse to serve pork? or go to work for an airline and try to force the airline not to serve me liquor on my flight?

Not at all, but you do have to look at civil disobedience cases of the past. Most of those people went to jail or lost a lot of money for the stances they took.

So these people can protest all they want, and accept the consequences like adults do.

If you think that's civil disobedience you are ignorant.

"Civil disobedience is the active, professed refusal to obey certain laws, demands, and commands of a government, or of an occupying international power."

Textbook example...now go away, before I make you look foolish a second time.

Good for them!!

The owners of an Oregon bakery are refusing to pay $135,000 in state-ordered damages to a same-sex couple who were denied service.

Melissa and Aaron Klein, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, cited religious beliefs when they refused to bake a wedding cake for Laurel and Rachel Bowman-Cryer more than two years ago.

The couple were awarded the damages in July by Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian for emotional suffering, saying the owners had violated the women’s civil rights by discriminating on the basis of their sexual orientation. They were also slapped with a gag order that prohibited them from speaking publicly about their refusal to participate in or bake wedding cakes for same-sex marriages.

so they'll be held in contempt and interest will keep accruing. gee, that'll show 'em

Maybe, maybe not. They are planning on fighting this in court. Personally, I have no issue with same sex marriage. But I do have a problem with the excessive fine and the fascist "gag order" in this case.

I also have a problem with a potentially serious conflict of interest that exists.

The Daily Signal has exclusively learned that the government agency responsible for enforcing Oregon’s anti-discrimination law appears to be working closely with a powerful gay rights advocacy group in its case against Aaron and Melissa Klein, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa.

Communications between the agency, the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries, and the LGBT organization, Basic Rights Oregon, raise questions about potential bias in the state’s decision to charge the Kleins with discrimination for refusing to make a cake for a same-sex wedding.

In April, a judge for the agency recommended the Kleins be fined $135,000.

Communications obtained through a public records request show employees of the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries—which pursued the case against the Kleins—participating in phone calls, texting, and attending meetings with Basic Rights Oregon, the largest LGBT advocacy group in the state.

Emails Raise Questions About Bias in Sweet Cakes Ruling
How is the fine "excessive" when a Christian couple in Oregon got over 100K more for the same kind of business discrimination.

Both fines were excessive. Did the commission issue a "gag order" in the other case too?
You might want to double check on what that "gag order" really was. Did the first business splash the christian couples' names and addresses and phone numbers all over the internet?

I'm gonna take trip to Oregon, find me a gay baker, and have them bake me a wedding cake that says "the religious sacrament of marriage is between a man and a woman". Think I'll get a $135k pay day when they refuse?

You'll be arrested for harassment.

:cuckoo:

tissue?

Why thank you...how did you know that I just made a mess on my keyboard from fantasizing about you, toots? Better give me two.

The fascist "gag order" is political overreach at its worst.
Did you feel the same way when years before Oregon used the same PA law to fine a business over 300K for refusing to serve a Christian couple?

don't be ridiculous. *shakes head*

That's just as dumb as this case.
And where were the protests? The GoFundMe accounts? The outrage? Who has been working actively to get PA laws appealed in that state?

This is merely a step of the process.

The bakery will get much more now from their supporters to pay the sure to be doubled damages.

Good for them!!

If you read the article linked in the OP, they've gotten more than 500K so far so their appeal to not being able to afford the fine was rejected.

you know what's butt backward about that?

civil disobedience has always been used to EXPAND rights. it's only the radical religious right who thinks it should be used to deny others' basic human dignity.

Jillian, you know I love ya, but a wedding cake is not exactly "a basic human dignity".

And it is being used to expand rights...the right to freedom of religion that is being impinged by the government.

Forum List

Back