Barber Shop Smell.

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
I have to ask the men (women too) here if they love that old barber shop smell.

I'll admit some of my best childhood memories were going to the barber. Unlike most kids I asked to go every week for a trim.

I would walk to Pee Wee's Barber Shop almost every Saturday Morning and take a seat and wait, often times giving up my turn just so I could hang around as long as possible.

Pee Wee knew my father and would always regale me with stories from when he was a kid. I don't know if many of you know but my Dad was a Navy Pilot and was killed when i was 2. So hanging around the shop was my only interaction with men when I was a kid.

Then after my mother remarried I met my step fathers Dad who was a retired Barber and he would cut my hair every week in his basement where he had his old barber chair and paraphernalia set up.

He gave me my first real shave, hot towel and straight razor. If you've never had a real barber shop shave you do not know what you are missing.

I haven't been in a barber shop in years but on an impulse I went in to a local shop for a trim. It wasn't quite the same as when I was a kid being a little more modern in decor but that good old fashioned barber shop smell instantly brought me back.

Is the love of that smell coded into our genes, men?

And women, is there a better more manly scent on this entire planet than talc and Bay rum or Clubman cologne ?

Forum List

Back