🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Barbershops and Kuwait’s underlining prejudices

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Looks like a lot of different nationalities are in the barbershop business.

Barbershops hold a unique place in Kuwait. There are thousands of these small businesses across Kuwait and each closely connected to the community which they serve. They are also highly segregated along lines of nationality. For the most part, Indians go to Indian salons and Lebanese go to Lebanese salons, Filipinos go to Filipino salons. Kuwaitis go typically to neighborhood barbershops for a quick cut and shave (typically Asian run) or salons (Lebanese or other Arab) for more style and fashion type cuts in malls or the commercial areas of Kuwait City and Salmiya.

Though a seemingly minor detail of men’s daily lives in Kuwait, the barbershop question cuts across a range of socio-economic issues. Your income and nationality (often inescapably intertwined in Kuwait) affect your choice of barber almost as much if not more than your personal style.

Bader is a Lebanese college student and when it comes to haircuts, he takes no chances. Over the past year he has been keeping a rather long pony-tail but that doesn’t stop him from the occasional haircut. “I go once a month for a trim and ever since I’ve been in Kuwait I have never gone to a non-Arab barber. My friend got a very bad haircut once from an Indian barbershop and ever since then I’ve only gone to Arab salons.” I ask what his main concerns would be if his friend hadn’t got that haircut. He tells me, “I would still be hesitant, of course. Not only is there a language barrier but I’m not sure they would understand what I usually go for. Most of the expensive Arab barbers are either Turkish or Lebanese so it would be much easier for them to understand what I want.” Is that true? Can only a co-national understand the haircut you need? Darrel lives in Shaab and has a multitude of choices when it comes to salons. Yet, he is a regular at one of the only Indian barbers in the district

Continue reading at:

http://news.kuwaittimes.net/barbershops-and-kuwaits-underlining-prejudi

are you a paid, post-bot?

I ask because all of your threads are the same. Verbatim posts including the pics from a news site w/ minimal commentary if any

IOW's- STOP IT!!!

are you a paid, post-bot?

I ask because all of your threads are the same. Verbatim posts including the pics from a news site w/ minimal commentary if any

IOW's- STOP IT!!!

Poor pathetic Dot.Com. He certainly is a petty person. I am willing to bet that he spends more time on the forums than I do, but he seems to have a problem with my posting articles. Is anyone asking him to read them? Say, Dot.Com, shave and a haircut -- two bits. Surely you can take time away from your posting during the day and smarten up.

Barbershops hold a unique place in Kuwait. There are thousands of these small businesses across Kuwait and each closely connected to the community which they serve. They are also highly segregated along lines of nationality. For the most part, Indians go to Indian salons and Lebanese go to Lebanese salons, Filipinos go to Filipino salons. Kuwaitis go typically to neighborhood barbershops for a quick cut and shave (typically Asian run) or salons (Lebanese or other Arab) for more style and fashion type cuts in malls or the commercial areas of Kuwait City and Salmiya.

Though a seemingly minor detail of men’s daily lives in Kuwait, the barbershop question cuts across a range of socio-economic issues. Your income and nationality (often inescapably intertwined in Kuwait) affect your choice of barber almost as much if not more than your personal style.

Bader is a Lebanese college student and when it comes to haircuts, he takes no chances. Over the past year he has been keeping a rather long pony-tail but that doesn’t stop him from the occasional haircut. “I go once a month for a trim and ever since I’ve been in Kuwait I have never gone to a non-Arab barber. My friend got a very bad haircut once from an Indian barbershop and ever since then I’ve only gone to Arab salons.” I ask what his main concerns would be if his friend hadn’t got that haircut. He tells me, “I would still be hesitant, of course. Not only is there a language barrier but I’m not sure they would understand what I usually go for. Most of the expensive Arab barbers are either Turkish or Lebanese so it would be much easier for them to understand what I want.” Is that true? Can only a co-national understand the haircut you need? Darrel lives in Shaab and has a multitude of choices when it comes to salons. Yet, he is a regular at one of the only Indian barbers in the district

Continue reading at:

http://news.kuwaittimes.net/barbershops-and-kuwaits-underlining-prejudi
And?? ...... :cool:

Forum List

Back