Beatles vs. Led Zeppelin

Lord Long Rod

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2023
Which is the GOAT? I preface my analysis by acknowledging the inherent subjectivity of such a task. Nonetheless, I believe that there are certain objective metrics by which to compare and contrast the two.

I think we all pretty much assume the obvious here, to wit: the Beatles are a bunch of fags and Led Zeppelin are GODS. Now, to be sure, I really like “Hey Jude” and “Helter Stelter” (Aerosmith’s version). I also hold Lennon’s “Imagine” in high regard, for the music and in spite of the leftist lyrical drivel. Let’s compare the 2 bands.

LZ inspired and influenced multiple generations of metal and hard rock. The Beatles inspired the creation of Oasis. Jimmy Page was a magnificent producer and production engineer that forged new ground in music production. The Beatles got stoned and had others do such work.

The screaming metal guitar solo found its genesis in Jimmy Page. The Beatles music is played today in elevators and in waiting rooms at geriatric doctors’ offices. Jimmy Page played a cherry sunburst Les Paul. Who knows what Harrison played (Was it Jerry Harrison? George Harrison? Pete Best? Who knows).

The Beatles were known for using hippy drugs and adopting Marxist beliefs. Jimmy Page bought Allister Crowley’s castle and is rumored to have been into dark shit. When you play “Black Dog” backwards you hear demonic voices beckoning you into darkness. When you play the Beatles backward you must listen for a moment to be sure it was not another drug fueled experimental ditty.

LZ partied HARD. The Beatles did psychedelics and put flowers in their hair. Jimmy Page was an accomplished musician when LZ began. The Beatles were the Backstreet Boys of the day. Robert Plant sang with great soul and expression. Lennon and McCartney sang like pained white boys with poles up their asses. The Beatles got into Indian mysticism when they were dropping acid. LZ wrote “Kashmir”.

Nobody looks cooler performing on stage than Zep. The Beatles stood still and maybe rocked their heads slightly back and forth like dorks. The Beatles have no song nearly as monumental in terms of recognition and fan love as “Stairway to Heaven”.

The analysis can go on ad nauseum. But I think it is decisively clear that Led Zeppelin are musical gods while the Beatles were a bunch of clowns. In fact, I feel a twinge of shame for even posting this, as it seemingly legitimizes the Beatles as deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as LZ. But there you go.

It's all a matter of preference. So many unique sounding songs to appeal to ones mood from both bands.

In the end, no band was as talented and diverse as LZ though. As Prince accurately said, I paraphrase "each song made you feel entirely different". Perhaps none as influential to the rock music that followed for the last 40+ years.

Also, the Beatles had many filler songs. Like Hendrix IMO, LZ didn't have many fillers and like Hendrix even their "fillers" had some endearing quality.

I like to take into consideration of lasting time... Beatles songs are still being played everywhere and copied by other artists... Led Zeppelin although one of my favorite bands can't claim that... Plus when speaking of the Beatles you have to include their solo careers.... Beatle songs will always be played on the radio... I can't say that about Led Zeppelin....

Which is the GOAT? I preface my analysis by acknowledging the inherent subjectivity of such a task. Nonetheless, I believe that there are certain objective metrics by which to compare and contrast the two.

I think we all pretty much assume the obvious here, to wit: the Beatles are a bunch of fags and Led Zeppelin are GODS. Now, to be sure, I really like “Hey Jude” and “Helter Stelter” (Aerosmith’s version). I also hold Lennon’s “Imagine” in high regard, for the music and in spite of the leftist lyrical drivel. Let’s compare the 2 bands.

LZ inspired and influenced multiple generations of metal and hard rock. The Beatles inspired the creation of Oasis. Jimmy Page was a magnificent producer and production engineer that forged new ground in music production. The Beatles got stoned and had others do such work.

The screaming metal guitar solo found its genesis in Jimmy Page. The Beatles music is played today in elevators and in waiting rooms at geriatric doctors’ offices. Jimmy Page played a cherry sunburst Les Paul. Who knows what Harrison played (Was it Jerry Harrison? George Harrison? Pete Best? Who knows).

The Beatles were known for using hippy drugs and adopting Marxist beliefs. Jimmy Page bought Allister Crowley’s castle and is rumored to have been into dark shit. When you play “Black Dog” backwards you hear demonic voices beckoning you into darkness. When you play the Beatles backward you must listen for a moment to be sure it was not another drug fueled experimental ditty.

LZ partied HARD. The Beatles did psychedelics and put flowers in their hair. Jimmy Page was an accomplished musician when LZ began. The Beatles were the Backstreet Boys of the day. Robert Plant sang with great soul and expression. Lennon and McCartney sang like pained white boys with poles up their asses. The Beatles got into Indian mysticism when they were dropping acid. LZ wrote “Kashmir”.

Nobody looks cooler performing on stage than Zep. The Beatles stood still and maybe rocked their heads slightly back and forth like dorks. The Beatles have no song nearly as monumental in terms of recognition and fan love as “Stairway to Heaven”.

The analysis can go on ad nauseum. But I think it is decisively clear that Led Zeppelin are musical gods while the Beatles were a bunch of clowns. In fact, I feel a twinge of shame for even posting this, as it seemingly legitimizes the Beatles as deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as LZ. But there you go.

While I agree. Zeppelin outshines the Beatles talent wise at each position.

I give the Beatles credit for durability at least and they themselves were influential to future artists. Their music was more simplistic for the most part imo, but it got a lot of kids listening to music and picking up guitar etc. they had their place.
Chris Cornell claimed to have been inspired by John Lennon, and you can pick up some Beatles undertones in a few sound garden songs

As much as I like Beatles music ... my first choice is Led Zeppelin.

The Beatles were known for using hippy drugs
Jon Bonham died from his alcoholism.

Jimmy Page was a heroin addict.

Robert Plant was no stranger to cocaine.

John Paul Jones said "I did more drugs than I care to remember. I just did it quietly."

But at least they weren't hippy drugs. That makes all the difference.

100 years from now the Beatles will be remembered whereas Led Zeppelin will be largely forgotten

Only a mid 20th Century pop culture historian will know who they were

Apples and Pears .

Have an appreciation for the better parts of both , and also include all the other fruits .

And don't forget Doris Day .

Led Zeppelin was a great band. No doubt about that.

The Beatles were transcendent though. They changed everything from culture to music. Their closest rival is Elvis. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, are some of the greatest albums ever produced. The brilliance of the Beatles is how on every album they created a new sound that was equal to or better than the previous album

John, Paul, George, and Ringo were all talented musicians but together they created something ethereal.

I like to take into consideration of lasting time... Beatles songs are still being played everywhere and copied by other artists... Led Zeppelin although one of my favorite bands can't claim that... Plus when speaking of the Beatles you have to include their solo careers.... Beatle songs will always be played on the radio... I can't say that about Led Zeppelin....
I guess it is a matter of perspective because I hear LZ all the time. But I am more prone to notice them than the Beatles. There’s like 6-7 stations on SiriusXM that regularly play Zeppelin songs.

Jon Bonham died from his alcoholism.

Jimmy Page was a heroin addict.

Robert Plant was no stranger to cocaine.

John Paul Jones said "I did more drugs than I care to remember. I just did it quietly."

But at least they weren't hippy drugs. That makes all the difference.
It makes a difference in my book.

100 years from now the Beatles will be remembered whereas Led Zeppelin will be largely forgotten

Only a mid 20th Century pop culture historian will know who they were
I disagree entirely.

• Disagree
Reactions: JLW
Which is precisely why there is hope for the future .

Your track record is appalling .One of those who seems destined to be unfailingly wrong .
MY track record?!? You are a fucking anti-Semite! Do you know what a Gazan is? It’s the inbred redneck shit head of the Arab world. That is exactly why the Arab states support a 2-state “solution” - nobody wants those stupid fuckers in THEIR countries.

Beatles is one of the most over rated bands in history.
They recorded 219 songs for Pete's sake!!
And it goes something like this.......

175 were downright terrible.
25 were pretty good, some real good.
19 were outstanding.

McCartney is a bubble gum teeny bop song writer, and THE reason they broke up.

I guess it is a matter of perspective because I hear LZ all the time. But I am more prone to notice them than the Beatles. There’s like 6-7 stations on SiriusXM that regularly play Zeppelin songs.
Well our radio reception sucks in my area so stations are few... If we had a classic rock station I would hear them more...
I like both bands... anytime one of their songs are played my foot starts tapping... lol

Back in the wonderful brief period of Napster, I downloaded every Led song recorded.
They recorded 108 songs in total. Most people only know maybe 25 of them.
About a 1/3 I would say are pretty bad experimental crap, another 15 or so...meh okay... another 1/3 pretty solidly good and then the rest are ground breaking awesome.
Which is why I say LED is far better than Beatles.
McCartney was all about the money, while Harrison and Lennon wanted to take more time to make better music. Paul had no interest, all he wanted was to produce an album as fast as possible.

Forum List

Back