Beer, Cigarettes & Marijuana -- What's the difference?

What do cigarettes have to do with this? Are you claiming they are also a perception altering substance??

lol of course they are

nicotine's mood-altering effects are different by report: in particular it is both a stimulant and a relaxant.[26] First causing a release of glucose from the liver and epinephrine (adrenaline) from the adrenal medulla, it causes stimulation. Users report feelings of relaxation, sharpness, calmness, and alertness.[27] By reducing the appetite and raising the metabolism, some smokers may lose weight as a consequence.[28][29]
When a cigarette is smoked, nicotine-rich blood passes from the lungs to the brain within seven seconds and immediately stimulates the release of many chemical messengers including acetylcholine, norepinephrine, epinephrine, vasopressin, arginine, dopamine, autocrine agents, and beta-endorphin.[30] This release of neurotransmitters and hormones is responsible for most of nicotine's effects. Nicotine appears to enhance concentration[31] and memory due to the increase of acetylcholine. It also appears to enhance alertness due to the increases of acetylcholine and norepinephrine. Arousal is increased by the increase of norepinephrine. Pain is reduced by the increases of acetylcholine and beta-endorphin. Anxiety is reduced by the increase of beta-endorphin. Nicotine also extends the duration of positive effects of dopamine[32] and increases sensitivity in brain reward systems.[33] Most cigarettes (in the smoke inhaled) contain 1 to 3 milligrams of nicotine.[34]
Research suggests that, when smokers wish to achieve a stimulating effect, they take short quick puffs, which produce a low level of blood nicotine.[35] This stimulates nerve transmission. When they wish to relax, they take deep puffs, which produce a high level of blood nicotine, which depresses the passage of nerve impulses, producing a mild sedative effect. At low doses, nicotine potently enhances the actions of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain, causing a drug effect typical of those of psychostimulants. At higher doses, nicotine enhances the effect of serotonin and opiate activity, producing a calming, pain-killing effect. Nicotine is unique in comparison to most drugs, as its profile changes from stimulant to sedative/pain killer in increasing dosages and use. (Another drug that behaves similarly is ethanol.)

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So then how many cigarettes would I have to smoke until my perception is impaired to the point of driving a car, or operating heavy machinery?

That's my point. Cigarettes are continually equated to alcohol & drugs, yet I've never heard of someone causing an accident while under the influence of tobacco.

How many? If you're a pack a day smoker, 10 cigarettes in 1 hour will do it. Why? If you smoke too much, you end up nauseated and jumpy, and your attention span is about that of a hamster.

Cigarettes never caused an accident? Ever drop one into your lap or down on the floorboards while driving and go into opposite traffic? I never have, but I've heard of people who did.

lol of course they are

nicotine's mood-altering effects are different by report: in particular it is both a stimulant and a relaxant.[26] First causing a release of glucose from the liver and epinephrine (adrenaline) from the adrenal medulla, it causes stimulation. Users report feelings of relaxation, sharpness, calmness, and alertness.[27] By reducing the appetite and raising the metabolism, some smokers may lose weight as a consequence.[28][29]
When a cigarette is smoked, nicotine-rich blood passes from the lungs to the brain within seven seconds and immediately stimulates the release of many chemical messengers including acetylcholine, norepinephrine, epinephrine, vasopressin, arginine, dopamine, autocrine agents, and beta-endorphin.[30] This release of neurotransmitters and hormones is responsible for most of nicotine's effects. Nicotine appears to enhance concentration[31] and memory due to the increase of acetylcholine. It also appears to enhance alertness due to the increases of acetylcholine and norepinephrine. Arousal is increased by the increase of norepinephrine. Pain is reduced by the increases of acetylcholine and beta-endorphin. Anxiety is reduced by the increase of beta-endorphin. Nicotine also extends the duration of positive effects of dopamine[32] and increases sensitivity in brain reward systems.[33] Most cigarettes (in the smoke inhaled) contain 1 to 3 milligrams of nicotine.[34]
Research suggests that, when smokers wish to achieve a stimulating effect, they take short quick puffs, which produce a low level of blood nicotine.[35] This stimulates nerve transmission. When they wish to relax, they take deep puffs, which produce a high level of blood nicotine, which depresses the passage of nerve impulses, producing a mild sedative effect. At low doses, nicotine potently enhances the actions of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain, causing a drug effect typical of those of psychostimulants. At higher doses, nicotine enhances the effect of serotonin and opiate activity, producing a calming, pain-killing effect. Nicotine is unique in comparison to most drugs, as its profile changes from stimulant to sedative/pain killer in increasing dosages and use. (Another drug that behaves similarly is ethanol.)

So then how many cigarettes would I have to smoke until my perception is impaired to the point of driving a car, or operating heavy machinery?

That's my point. Cigarettes are continually equated to alcohol & drugs, yet I've never heard of someone causing an accident while under the influence of tobacco.

How many? If you're a pack a day smoker, 10 cigarettes in 1 hour will do it. Why? If you smoke too much, you end up nauseated and jumpy, and your attention span is about that of a hamster.

Cigarettes never caused an accident? Ever drop one into your lap or down on the floorboards while driving and go into opposite traffic? I never have, but I've heard of people who did.

You can do the same thing with a cell phone, or an iPod. Are they the same as alcohol too?

What about smoking to keep yourself awake, and then, after you light the last one at night driving, and you miss the oncoming vehicle?

You can do the same thing with a cell phone, or an iPod. Are they the same as alcohol too?

No one is saying that the effects of all drugs are the same. However, simply because the effects of alcohol aren't the same as the effects of smoking doesn't mean that cigarettes don't have an effect.

You've never caught a buzz off of smoking or dipping? If so, and you kept smoking, what happened? You eventually had to smoke more to get that buzz. That's your nervous system responding to your habits and the process of tolerance.

As someone pointed out, with all the relevant neurology, cigarettes absolutely work on your central and peripheral nervous system.

As for the long term effects, there is no debate about the harms of smoking.

What do cigarettes have to do with this? Are you claiming they are also a perception altering substance??

lol of course they are

while I doubt it is the cause of many vehicle accidents if you have not developed a tolerance one deeply inhaled cigarette can definitely impair your abilities and get your head spinning

lol of course they are

Dunno about under the influence of tobacco, but I sure hate riding with my best friend when he's having a nic fit.

lol of course they are

while I doubt it is the cause of many vehicle accidents if you have not developed a tolerance one deeply inhaled cigarette can definitely impair your abilities and get your head spinning

I don't think the OP was referring so much to traffic accidents as just deaths caused by alcohol and tobacco in general.

What a huge response to a simple question! I agree with pretty much everything Oreo said..Very cool that I actually have something in common with a tea partier! In response to the person that called me a "pothead," actually I've never used pot..Keep trying.

What a huge response to a simple question! I agree with pretty much everything Oreo said..Very cool that I actually have something in common with a tea partier! In response to the person that called me a "pothead," actually I've never used pot..Keep trying.

So you mean you're just stupid without any mitigating factors?

... Pot has been Involved in MANY Deaths, just as Booze...

We probably don't have a really good number mostly because pot is not high on the suspicion list in serious or fatal accidents. But in the last couple of years or so in our area there has been a fatal train crash and several auto crashes in which alcohol was ruled out, but it was strongly believed marijuana was involved.

We probably don't have a really good number mostly because pot is not high on the suspicion list in serious or fatal accidents. But in the last couple of years or so in our area there has been a fatal train crash and several auto crashes in which alcohol was ruled out, but it was strongly believed marijuana was involved.

'it was strongly believed'

HA!

Was 'it' strongly believed by a 'person' ?

Does this 'person' have a 'name' ?

'it was strongly believed'

HA!

Was 'it' strongly believed by a 'person' ?

Does this 'person' have a 'name' ?

Sure, but you probably don't know them. Names of law enforcement officers, medical personnel, the coroner, folks like that.

Who knows for sure WHAT causes anybody to have a lapse of judgment sufficient to cause a serious or fatal accident? So you look for the most common factors and the most likely causes.

In the case of the train, the engineer ignored the speed limit and blew through a red light. Would that have happened if he had not been high on pot? We don't know. But it has to be held up as a strong possibility. Ditto for the auto accidents in which the drivers tested positive for marijuana and not alcohol. Almost all were various kinds of inattentiveness--failure to maintain a lane, going the wrong way on the freeway, blowing a red light etc. Would those accidents have happened anyway? We don't know that either, but it has to be held up as a possibility that the pot impaired their judgment as we know that pot can impair judgment.

In the case of the train, the engineer ignored the speed limit and blew through a red light. Would that have happened if he had not been high on pot? We don't know. But it has to be held up as a strong possibility.
Why? Because correlation always implies causation? How do they even know he was stoned at the time of the accident?

Forum List

Back