Being Catholic means you have answers to all the big questions...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
...so I could never be one of those poets or science fiction writers who pine away, miserable because I don't know the meaning of life, or thinking life is ultimately pointless and bleak.

Now, I can still be miserable if I want, when I realize that God has not arranged the universe so that I always get exactly what I want.

But I'm comfortable, and have enough to eat. Really, that's all Jesus promised when he said God would take care of us.

When I grew up, almost everyone I knew was Catholic. I went to a Catholic high school, but most my public school friends were also Catholic. So being Catholic was like being normal when I grew up.

One day, a boy came up to me, and out of the blue said, "I don't believe in God, do you?"

I said nothing to the boy.

I was so shocked by his statement, because it had literally never occurred to me that God was something you could NOT believe in.

So I said nothing, and he walked away.

There's really no point to my tale except to say, I think Catholicism takes the edge off.

I went to a private school where most of the kids were NOT Catholic, and the kids were very nasty, both to each other and to the teachers.

But I never had any of these problems in Catholic school. There were a few bullies, but mostly I had no problem with people.

I went to Catholic law school, and the people were very nice.

But I've heard that most law schools are awful places, and people do not enjoy going to them.

...so I could never be one of those poets or science fiction writers who pine away, miserable because I don't know the meaning of life, or thinking life is ultimately pointless and bleak.

~S~

Forum List

Back