Bernard's Excellent D-Day Adventure

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
As an antidote to the nastiness appearing in other D-Day threads, I offer up Bernard's excellent D-Day adventure.

I love this guy.

rounded by staff at his care home, Bernard Jordan faced missing out on an emotional return to the D-Day beaches.

So, summoning up the spirit and determination of June 6, 1944, he hatched a cunning plan to join his old comrades in honouring the fallen.

With his medals hidden under his coat, the 89-year-old told his carers he was off for a walk. Instead he boarded a coach for France.

By the time staff realised he was missing the Royal Navy veteran was already in Normandy.

And, thanks to his great escape, Mr Jordan was yesterday able to stand proudly among world leaders and old soldiers in marking the audacious assault 70 years ago that cost more than 4,000 Allied lives.

He had left Hove in East Sussex on Thursday morning and checked in to a hotel in Ouistreham, near Arromanches, that night....

Speaking in Normandy, he told the broadcaster: 'Because I wanted to go to this show here that was on today, that was the main reason I came over here.

'It's a first class show because I have been here last year and I have been here obviously this time and I'm going to - touch wood I'm still with us - and I will be 91 then, but if I am still about I shall try next year's as well.'

Asked if he would be in trouble with the care home he added: 'I might be, but I hope not.'

The care home was at pains to stress that Mr Jordan had not been banned from attending the commemorations....

Missing D-Day veteran found in Normandy celebrating with former comrades | Mail Online

Obviously this old fellow didn't get the memo.

Nowadays, we hand out awards for leaving your post - NOT returning to it.

Last edited:
He's a Brit...not subject to the Whims of The Won.

Forum List

Back