Best rifle for hunting whitetail deer

images

I've been eyeing a couple of 30-06's by Remington and Savage.

The guy at the gun shop tells me there aren't many 30-30's out there that aren't lever action and I just don't want to put a scope on my 30-30 Winchester lever action...

Of course then I'll want a 30-06 lever action too and my wife will have a fit.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

I have an invite to go to Gillette, Wyoming and shoot prairie dogs in exchange for free camp space plus one meal a day. I'm thinking a 223 with a bipod and good scope.

That would be a blast!!!
I would actually go and buy a new rifle for it!!!
Full RV hook up plus a picnic table overlooking the "dog town" and a free lunch. A LOT of those farmers up there do that. A broken leg on cattle costs them dearly.

Sounds like a fine vacation!!
We used to do the same with Armadillos. The farmers got sick of the broken legs on their cattle and we'd go out and shoot the living shit out of em.
Shoot one of em and you'll understand why you see so many dead on the highway.
They jump straight up when threatened.....right into the under carriage.

I have an invite to go to Gillette, Wyoming and shoot prairie dogs in exchange for free camp space plus one meal a day. I'm thinking a 223 with a bipod and good scope.

That would be a blast!!!
Start here...
"
Wyoming has more wildlife than people, and Campbell County is no exception! Hunt Campbell County, Wyoming ~ Gillette and Wright! With over 4,802 square miles, it is home to vast numbers of deer, white tail and mule, pronghorn antelope and small herds of elk. Hunting in Wyoming is a great way to introduce young people to the sport, as licenses are available and relatively inexpensive. Limited hunting licenses for adults are usually available for antelope, deer, and elk specific areas, so please check with the wyominggameandfish for availability.

Looking for an outfitter Campbell County has many. Click HERE for a list of Campbell County Outfitters & Guides

For more information on Hunting please contact us at the Visitor's Center at 1810S Douglas Highway Suite A or by calling (307) 686-0040."
Hunting

And then check with the local farm bureau for farmers seeking dog hunters. Private property does NOT require a permit for varmits.

That would be a blast!!!
Start here...
"
Wyoming has more wildlife than people, and Campbell County is no exception! Hunt Campbell County, Wyoming ~ Gillette and Wright! With over 4,802 square miles, it is home to vast numbers of deer, white tail and mule, pronghorn antelope and small herds of elk. Hunting in Wyoming is a great way to introduce young people to the sport, as licenses are available and relatively inexpensive. Limited hunting licenses for adults are usually available for antelope, deer, and elk specific areas, so please check with the wyominggameandfish for availability.

Looking for an outfitter Campbell County has many. Click HERE for a list of Campbell County Outfitters & Guides

For more information on Hunting please contact us at the Visitor's Center at 1810S Douglas Highway Suite A or by calling (307) 686-0040."
Hunting

And then check with the local farm bureau for farmers seeking dog hunters. Private property does NOT require a permit for varmits.

I see a nice bolt gun in my future..maybe the 22.250

That would be a blast!!!
Start here...
"

Hunting

I got a buddy who goes up every year. Last two weeks of August and the first two of September. That's when the dogs are at their peak. All the little ones are grown and all are hunting for food.

Start with the outer edges of the town FIRST and work in. If you kill the leader to soon the dogs will fight under ground until a new one is picked.

That would be a blast!!!
Start here...
"

Hunting

I got a buddy who goes up every year. Last two weeks of August and the first two of September. That's when the dogs are at their peak. All the little ones are grown and all are hunting for food.

Start with the outer edges of the town FIRST and work in. If you kill the leader to soon the dogs will fight under ground until a new one is picked.

Kinda sounds like animal farm by George Orwell :laugh:

That would be a blast!!!
Start here...
"

Hunting

Kinda sounds like animal farm by George Orwell :laugh:
Dog towns are like little kingdoms. The Alpha is found at the center and the guards are posted along the edges.

Whitetail deer are not huge animals. Nor are they particularly tough skinned. So anything above a .243 should work well enough. (yeah, I know there are people who hunt deer with a .223, but not me)

As for action, I think the Ruger No. 1 is the best. Being a single shot, you lose about 4 inches of overall length, while keeping the same barrel length.

Anyone else have an opinion?

As always, it isn't what you're hunting ... it's WHERE you're hunting.

If you hunt in the northwoods of the midwest - as I've done - a .30-.30 is sufficient because you'll never take a shot over 75 yards. However, the deer can be rather large (175 - 225 lbs), so the increased kill power is necessary.

If you hunt them in Texas - where the deer about the size of a big dog - a .243 would be good enough.

In Colorado - where I hunt now - a .308 (my current favorite) is appropriate because most shots are a greater distance and the deer are much larger than Texas. (The last mule deer I killed was about 280 yards). Of course, to be honest, you are usually hunting elk at the same time.

Whitetail deer are not huge animals. Nor are they particularly tough skinned. So anything above a .243 should work well enough. (yeah, I know there are people who hunt deer with a .223, but not me)

As for action, I think the Ruger No. 1 is the best. Being a single shot, you lose about 4 inches of overall length, while keeping the same barrel length.

If you hunt in the northwoods of the midwest - as I've done - a .30-.30 is sufficient because you'll never take a shot over 75 yards. However, the deer can be rather large (175 - 225 lbs), so the increased kill power is necessary.

If you hunt them in Texas - where the deer about the size of a big dog - a .243 would be good enough.

In Colorado - where I hunt now - a .308 (my current favorite) is appropriate because most shots are a greater distance and the deer are much larger than Texas. (The last mule deer I killed was about 280 yards). Of course, to be honest, you are usually hunting elk at the same time.
Sounds like Washington state. The seasons overlap so you carry tags for both.

Tikka t3 lite Stainless - .308
Or
Smith&Wesson M&P 15 .223

I had a chance to buy a Rossi lever action in .357 Mag several years ago. Decent price. Couldn't see a need for it. Have regretted that since.

I got a Winchester 30.30 and thats about it for lever action.
Very dependable gun and there are not many elk in Texas if any so the caliber is fine. Its not a Elk gun I can tell you right now.

Elk can't take a shot a run quite a bit. Definitely want high cal and good scope for the Bulls

Never had a problem dropping em with the .270,hell they ain't much bigger than an Axis and the .270 will punch all the way through even hitting ribs on the way in and out.
Now lets talk Duck. I run a Rem 870 20 with a scope. BIG scope because I like to bust them as they are coming in. And the best dog I had for fetching was a Weimaraner. His name was Chadwick and he was as clumsy as a SOB but get in the field and he was spot on.
Beretta Eureka

Your Texas example is somewhat on target.
White tail in South Texas are huge as are the Axis in the hill country.
And of course you have Mule deer in West Texas.
And while the White Tail In the Hill Country are smaller I can shoot five a year,two bucks and three doe,and that doesnt count exotics.
I shot nine deer of various types off my back porch one year,and that doesnt count the two dozen hogs.

I got a Winchester 30.30 and thats about it for lever action.
Very dependable gun and there are not many elk in Texas if any so the caliber is fine. Its not a Elk gun I can tell you right now.

Elk can't take a shot a run quite a bit. Definitely want high cal and good scope for the Bulls

Never had a problem dropping em with the .270,hell they ain't much bigger than an Axis and the .270 will punch all the way through even hitting ribs on the way in and out.
Now lets talk Duck. I run a Rem 870 20 with a scope. BIG scope because I like to bust them as they are coming in. And the best dog I had for fetching was a Weimaraner. His name was Chadwick and he was as clumsy as a SOB but get in the field and he was spot on.
Beretta Eureka
Nice looking gun..
AL391Urika2Gold-cal12-9.jpg

And while the White Tail In the Hill Country are smaller I can shoot five a year,two bucks and three doe,and that doesnt count exotics.
I shot nine deer of various types off my back porch one year,and that doesnt count the two dozen hogs.
We got hogs here in Arizona so damn thick we hunt them with hand guns. Taurus 41 mag for me.

That would be a blast!!!
Start here...
"

Hunting

That is about two hours from where I live...

We got hogs here in Arizona so damn thick we hunt them with hand guns. Taurus 41 mag for me.

I hear ya. I usually targeted the ones that were undermining my bridge abutments.
Come flood time the damage they did would totally fuck up my bridge.
I got tired of bringing in rip rap to repair it.

image.jpeg

6.8 spc.
Antelope and Prairie dog killing machine...

That would be a blast!!!
Start here...
"

Hunting

That is about two hours from where I live...
So hook him up!

Forum List

Back