Better dead

What does a school nurse do if a student is having an asthma attack but the parent didn't fill out the right form for the inhaler?

Volusia County School officials stand by a Deltona High School nurse's decision to refuse a student his inhaler during an asthma attack, citing a lack of a parent's signature on a medical release form.
"It's like something out of a horror film. The person just sits there and watches you die," said Michael Rudi, 17. "She sat there, looked at me and she did nothing."
He said the school dean found his inhaler during a search of his locker last Friday. The inhaler was still in its original packaging -- complete with his name and directions for its use; however, the school took it away because his mother hadn't signed the proper form for him to have it.

Nurse refuses student inhaler during asthma attack | News - Home

Have her nursing license revoked, for one. The nursing profession is a helping profession. She did not act professionally.
What if this student had died, because of paperwork?

Override the protocol...deal with the fall out later.
Most likely she would have been seen as a hero, had she acted.

We don't have a shortage of nurses.
Even if she had been fired, she would have have another job in two seconds.

the school likely sent home several forms and even called home.
the mom probably ignored a half dozen requests

Or the school lost/misplaced the permission slip.

'He said the school dean found his inhaler during a search of his locker last Friday. The inhaler was still in its original packaging -- complete with his name and directions for its use; however, the school took it away...'

Wonder what the school did with the medication??

Aren't nurses suppose to help the sick? Isn't that a nurses job?

If this kid were on the street, fell over from an asthma attack with his inhaler lying on the ground out of his reach . . . would she just stand there doing nothing because no form had been filled out?

If she was too entrenched in the rules to even contemplate giving the kid his inhaler, why didn't she call his parents/emergency contacts ASAP and get verbal approval?

What the hell has happened to common sense? Katzndogs is correct, liberal culture has eliminated the need for common sense, for one to think for one's self.

If I were that kids mom I'd slap the nurse upside her head.

I'd put the blame where it's due...your over-the-top litigious society...

'He said the school dean found his inhaler during a search of his locker last Friday. The inhaler was still in its original packaging -- complete with his name and directions for its use; however, the school took it away...'

"He SAID?"

Here is what the district says:

The Director of Student Health Services, Cheryl Selesky, said that parents must sign the medical release form each year, which allows students to carry their prescribed drugs with them in school.

This year, the district had no record of his Rudi's signature, said Selesky.

Now, I am not certain what he said, or his mother saw, or whatever-the-hell-hysterics went on, but the fact is your school is a fucking GOVERNMENT ENTITY: Don't expect them to THINK.

Wierder still, why was the dean rummaging through lockers looking for errant inhalers in the first place??

"He SAID?"

The Director of Student Health Services, Cheryl Selesky, said that parents must sign the medical release form each year, which allows students to carry their prescribed drugs with them in school.

Now, I am not certain what he said, or his mother saw, or whatever-the-hell-hysterics went on, but the fact is your school is a fucking GOVERNMENT ENTITY: Don't expect them to THINK.

'He said' (the student) was part of the original story/interview the OP link provided.

Last edited:

Wierder still, why was the dean rummaging through lockers looking for errant inhalers in the first place??

Looking for drugs...
:eusa_whistle:

Indeed: How could the High School Student's version of the sequence of events ever be questioned???

After all, we can all agree that All High School Boys are perfectly aware of what-th-fuck is going on around them....

:eusa_shifty:

"He SAID?"

'He said' (the student) was part of the original story/interview the OP link provided.

I don't have much faith in some kid's version of events.

How about the parent?

From the story:

"School leaders called Sue Rudi when her son started having trouble breathing. She rushed to the office and was taken back to the nurse's office by school administrators and they discovered the teen on the floor.

"As soon as we opened up the door, we saw my son collapsing against the wall on the floor of the nurse's office while she was standing in the window of the locked door looking down at my son, who was in full-blown asthma attack," Rudi said.

Michael Rudi said when he started to pass out from his attack, the nurse locked the door.

"I believe that when I closed my eyes I wasn't going to wake up," he said.

"I mean its common sense if I saw an animal on the street in distress I would probably stop to help, why wouldn't she help a child," Sue Rudi said.
But Rudi is a senior, and his mother said the district has had records of his asthma throughout his years in the school.

She thinks her son could have died because of a technicality.

"How dare you deny my son something that we all take for granted, breath," said Sue Rudi. "Why didn't someone call 911?"

Selesky said the district is looking into whether proper procedures were followed by the school, and while nurses can't give medications without the proper authorization, it is district policy to call 911 when a student cannot breath.

Selesky could not explain why 911 was never called.

"I understand if you can't give it to him call 911," Sue Rudi said. "Why did you not call 911?"

How about the parent?

From the story:

"School leaders called Sue Rudi when her son started having trouble breathing. She rushed to the office and was taken back to the nurse's office by school administrators and they discovered the teen on the floor.

"As soon as we opened up the door, we saw my son collapsing against the wall on the floor of the nurse's office while she was standing in the window of the locked door looking down at my son, who was in full-blown asthma attack," Rudi said.

Michael Rudi said when he started to pass out from his attack, the nurse locked the door.

"I mean its common sense if I saw an animal on the street in distress I would probably stop to help, why wouldn't she help a child," Sue Rudi said.
But Rudi is a senior, and his mother said the district has had records of his asthma throughout his years in the school.

"How dare you deny my son something that we all take for granted, breath," said Sue Rudi. "Why didn't someone call 911?"

Selesky said the district is looking into whether proper procedures were followed by the school, and while nurses can't give medications without the proper authorization, it is district policy to call 911 when a student cannot breath.

"I understand if you can't give it to him call 911," Sue Rudi said. "Why did you not call 911?"

The parent sounds hysterical.

I'm guessing the kids condition wasn't anything close to the near-death experience his mother is describing.

I'm guessing the kids condition wasn't anything close to the near-death experience his mother is describing.

That's a possibility.
I post, you decide ;)

I am curious as why you seem not to believe the student and parent's version though.
Besides the litigious factor.

Last edited:
How about the parent?

From the story:

You have, obviously, never been around anyone having an asthma attack.

I understand the protocols. I couldn't have done what the nurse did, but she was following procedures.

But the procedures also call for dialling 911. Why didn't they call 911 when the kid's asthma attack started/

I understand the protocols. I couldn't have done what the nurse did, but she was following procedures.

But the procedures also call for dialling 911. Why didn't they call 911 when the kid's asthma attack started/

That is the part that gets me. Even if they were justified in taking away a prescribed medication, which is stupid when we are talking about asthma inhalers, there is no reason not to call 911 and get the kid to a hospital.

That is the part that gets me. Even if they were justified in taking away a prescribed medication, which is stupid when we are talking about asthma inhalers, there is no reason not to call 911 and get the kid to a hospital.

Common sense is being drilled out of people.

They're being trained so hard in how to defend the more peculiar ramifications of the no-drugs, no-tolerance parts of their code that they've cauterized the parts of their brain which would be thinking "this kid cannot breathe, we have to help him."

Takes a lot of mental energy to convince yourself not to let a suffering child use his inhaler. Not much left over for alternative scenarios.

To someone trained to follow government instructions, no matter what, follow the rules, this makes a lot of sense. She didn't call 911 because there was no rule telling her to call 911. She didn't offer aid, because there was no rule telling her.

Looking for free drugs probably.

How about the parent?

From the story:

You have, obviously, never been around anyone having an asthma attack.

Yes, and I suppose nurses are never trained to recognize an asthma attack.

Do you ever read anything you don't fucking believe, moron?

The whole article is preposterous; where is the followup?

Forum List

Back