Better To Pull The Bandage Off Fast

Stock Market careening this morning since Trump announced increased tariffs that haven't taken effect and won't until the first of September. Why? Because China's cheap, poorly made crap, buried businesses who believed in quality and couldn't match slave-labor wages. So the question is, do we continue down the road of use it until it breaks, toss it in the trash, rinse and repeat? Or do we uncouple from China, make our own quality goods like we always did before? That's an easy answer and one that President Trump is pursuing...we can't survive in China's world...we can't afford low-priced crap as tempting as it's become.

stock-market-today | Markets and Market Data | ^DJI | TheStreet

~~~~~~
Funny, you'd make that statement, when the truth is that china devaluated the Yuan.

Why a falling Chinese yuan crushed the stock market and ...
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/what-a-falling-chinese-yuan-means-for-the-stock...
3 hours ago · Why a falling Chinese yuan crushed the stock market and intensified the trade war ... -3.47% slumped 3.5% as China-sensitive stocks took a hit. ... August 5, 2019.

~~~~~~
Funny, you'd make that statement, when the truth is that china devaluated the Yuan.

Why a falling Chinese yuan crushed the stock market and ...
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/what-a-falling-chinese-yuan-means-for-the-stock...
3 hours ago · Why a falling Chinese yuan crushed the stock market and intensified the trade war ... -3.47% slumped 3.5% as China-sensitive stocks took a hit. ... August 5, 2019.

No, what's "funny" is you were too lazy to read the thread where I mentioned that...but only in passing since it only has to do with their retaliation against us, not the subject of the OP.

I have some shocking news for you, boys and girls:

America is manufacturing more stuff than ever before.

Manufacturing jobs have not gone to Gina. They've gone to the machines. We are making more stuff with less people. Capital investment has paid off bigly and yugely for the one percent.

Here's an American auto factory from the 1970s:

auto-factory-1970.jpg

Here's an American auto factory today. See if you can find the humans:

auto-factory-today.jpg
I just went to Travel Smith, which is fairly expensive travel wear on line, and randomly checked four different outfits and a suitcase. None was made in the US.

I tried toasters, cell phones and brake pads. None of them even mention where they're made. I know cell phones might be assembled here, but made from parts manufactured overseas, is what I've heard.
I know automation has done some stuff, but considering how much we buy has the tag "made in China" or another foreign country, I find it hard to believe that outsourcing isn't an issue.
Sorry, but T-shirt and suitcase jobs are not very high paying. They are low-skilled jobs. Those jobs belong in Bangladesh and China.

Forum List

Back