Bicycle gearing

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel, and wondering if what I'm looking for is common knowledge among serious bikers

On a typical mountain bike you have three front sprockets (which I would call "primary" sprockets) and 7 or 8 rear sprockets. As a result, you can remain in the "high" primary and have seven gears to play with, which is fine on level roadways.

If you shift to the middle Primary sprocket, you have seven more gears, and if you shift to the smallest Primary sprocket, there are seven gears available there.

But obviously, when talking about overall gear ratios, there is overlap. For example, 7th gear in the small Primary sprocket might be the same gear ratio as 3rd gear on the middle sprocket, or even first (lowest) gear on the large Primary sprocket.

When I'm using my gear, I just fly by the seat of my pants. If I am starting up a hill I usually shift to the middle Primary and a middle rear gear, then downshift or upshift as necessary.

Is there a way you are "supposed" to use the gears? Is there a pattern to it? Does 7th on the small one equal 4th on the middle one and first gear on the big one?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel, and wondering if what I'm looking for is common knowledge among serious bikers

On a typical mountain bike you have three front sprockets (which I would call "primary" sprockets) and 7 or 8 rear sprockets. As a result, you can remain in the "high" primary and have seven gears to play with, which is fine on level roadways.

If you shift to the middle Primary sprocket, you have seven more gears, and if you shift to the smallest Primary sprocket, there are seven gears available there.

But obviously, when talking about overall gear ratios, there is overlap. For example, 7th gear in the small Primary sprocket might be the same gear ratio as 3rd gear on the middle sprocket, or even first (lowest) gear on the large Primary sprocket.

When I'm using my gear, I just fly by the seat of my pants. If I am starting up a hill I usually shift to the middle Primary and a middle rear gear, then downshift or upshift as necessary.

Is there a way you are "supposed" to use the gears? Is there a pattern to it? Does 7th on the small one equal 4th on the middle one and first gear on the big one?

The front is your chainring and the rear is your cassette. I have a 24 speed pro Trek MB and it would not make sense to duplicate gear speeds between ranges. But all you need to do is count the teeth on your chainrings, then count the teeth on your cassette. By dividing the latter into the former, you can get your pedal ratios and see if you have any duplication. They also offer calculators for bike ratios on the internet.

unless youre a racer the detailed shifting isnt an issue,,

when I go up a steep hill I always drop to the lowest in both rails and work my way back up,,
going up long inclines I run in the middle on the front and shift the rears,,

and long flats or downhill kick up to the high gear on front and work it from there,,

the longer you ride the stronger you get and you will start to notice youre using higher gears,,

Forum List

Back